The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Whoa whoa..more importantly, 8 1/2 at a thrift? I want my 20 bucks back, Amazon.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

2. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

I've actually seen a label like that, it could very well be real

3. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

on that blue striped zegna...
    I've actually seen a label like that, it could very well be real

4. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Size?
    Also, that J Press . . . [​IMG]

5. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I usually give the short-sleeve rack a very cursory look, it being a time suck and me generally not having much time. I have three quality polos, one Paul Stuart, one RLPL and one Robert Talbott, and so I do quick label checks when I spot something with obvious fabric quality that match those shirts. I'm sure I miss a lot, Lacoste and BBGF, for example, having courser weaves that are tough to distinguish from Lands End and the like unless you get up close.

In the corduroy trouser department, I ducked into SA last night five minutes before closing. It was my second visit of the day. There was a rack near the front door that they hadn't put out yet. Found a pair of very nice Carroll and Co. cords. OK. What's this next to it? A pair of high-end RL blue label cords, exactly like a pair in chocolate I already have and treasure, but in camel. And then an identical pair--why someone would have the same make, model and color, go figure. Finally, the piece d'resistance: A pair of RLPL cords that are jaw-dropping gorgeous. I haven't tried any on yet, but they appear to be my size and obviously from the same donor.

The seriously strange part is, I had never found RLPL in the wild until yesterday, and the trousers were my second RLPL find of the day. The first, at a different store, was a tie that got my heart pumping until closer examination revealed frays and stains--not even worth harvesting for bow tie conversion.

6. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Yeah, I've been bugging him with vintage bike questions for a few days, and he's given me tons of great advice. We'll see if all my learning and my Pawn-Stars/American-Pickers-ish negotiating skills pay off in about 2 hours. If you see a guy flying down 400 with a sweet-enough ride hanging out of his car, you'll know my tactic of saying "I will give you $60 for this bike, and not a penny more" after pointing out all the obvious flaws and hemming and hawing a bit worked like a charm.

and I'd also be interested in that linen PRL, if it's available, which I suspect it isn't.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Go Frankie style and bundle that shit!

8. concealed

concealed Senior member

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

That's sexy! [​IMG] Size?

I've seen a few of you doing this. I got some of the T&A shirts from DM7 and one has a hole in it (which he told me about and didn't charge me for that one). It's got nice skinny MOP buttons so I'm probably gonna do this too. Do you guys save them for replacing lost ones or sell them? Also, what do you do with the shirting material? I was thinking of cutting it into squares and trying to learn to make a hand-rolled edge. Anyone else tried it?

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Is DM7 bi-coastal now?
    Kick ass day!

How small is "super small"? [​IMG]

Or if Medium or Large PM me [​IMG]

Obviously for the Small or Extra Small, PM me [​IMG]

11. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

330 posted something about Ted Lapidus, what are the boards thoughts on him? I passed a tux jacket not too long ago, just cause I couldn't find much about it.
    On the subject of Polo shirts, I have a RLPL that is awesome, and I thrifted a LP polo a few weeks ago in a very small fitting XL. No PM's... your loss I guess, I sold it for $80 on the Bay in 8 hours lol. However, it is hard to find a nice short sleeve, and if anyone kops RLPL short sleeve in size L get at me please.

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

As others have said, I rarely hit the polo rack. But when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. No no no no. Sorry, different commercial. When I do, I occasionally find VV. Found me a Loro Piana once, but it was women's size 12, and I STILL can't effing sell it on Ebay, 3 months later.

Others have answered this one: It's licensed, but likely by manufacturers who deserve respect in their own right. Compare the mfr tag to Hickey, which is the most likely.

I was going to thrift fit pic what I had yesterday to show off a nice square I found, but then my day went sideways, I ended up working from home and took all of my finery off. Possible I'll reconstitute the outfit at some point next week. Similar ambitions today, but working from the road, and not sure I'll be able to find a full length mirror.

13. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I've been very fortunate selling chick stuff--a NWT Pendleton blazer for the office and a tweed overcoat from Italy stand out as successes, even though I didn't get very much--but I don't try it very often. Maybe it's just me, but women's fashion seems to change so quickly that it's really tough to know what to buy. It may also be a case of fewer women who wear used clothing than men. Scarves by Hermes and boots by Prada are easy calls, of course, but it gets to be a crap shoot very quickly thereafter, I think.

14. concealed

concealed Senior member

Agreed, I see a number of Thomas Pink shirts for women, but at 7$, it probably won't generate a worthwhile return on investment. Also, as I have said before, most of the thrift shop denizens are women, thus more eyes perusing the women's racks, thus less hidden treasure

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

It turns out that Commes des Garcon blazer I found back in February is from their Tricots line which is a women's line. I haven't listed it yet because I'm not really sure the best way to do it. Gotta figure it out one of these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.