1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Eazy...those are exactly what you need for that robe...

2. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

3. Swiper

Swiper Well-Known Member

True!

Not planning on wearing...not my taste. These are more my style:

[​IMG]

Just really been enjoying this thread and this was the closest that I have to "thrifted" stuff...will contribute properly after my first thrift run (assuming I find something.)

I will either donate or hold for another 20 years until they come back into style [​IMG]

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Definitely my best weekend ever. After yesterdays haul, today I picked up a vintage Brooks Brothers suit and sportcoat, a Zegna 15milmil15 suit, 2 recent Zegna sportcoats, and an Attolini sportcoat. Not quite thrift pricing, but I'll do OK. Left behind a couple of Zegnas that were too pricey and 3 or 4 Oxxford bespoke sportcoat/odd trouser combos that were huge. Oh, and two other Attolini pieces (summer suit and SC) that had moth damage. I was crushed about those.

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:rotflmao: :crackup:

Score on the Attolini. That is a grail label for me, still yet to find one. How bad was the moth damage? On such a sought after maker, I'm sure even minor moth damage wouldn't cause them to be a complete write-off.

6. suited

suited Senior member

Had a pretty good morning...

Ties: left to right: Zegna, Brioni (keeping), Polo, Polo, Burberry's (keeping), R Talbott (keeping), Zegna, Tie Rack (interesting color), Zegna

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 Flat Front no cuff, 1 pleated w/ cuff Zanella (navy)
    [​IMG]

HF SC, 2-button single vent, 43R

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another HF SC, similar to the first, 44R

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plus a charcoal Armani Collezioni orphan jacket and BB 346 Navy Blazer for eBay.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  7. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

They are, I would rock these if they were my size. Unfortunately they are way too big (I'm a 10.5).
    No size markings, but they measure 12.5" in length. So for the larger dandy.

8. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

This time I actually found some stuff in my size, if ok-mediocre. Nothing spectacular, but a few items to share (according to my current thrifting standards, anyway). Oh, and viz a viz a previous discussion, what is available is available for trade or at-cost+shipping.

HF pants. Unavailable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I saw this and thought, "Ohh... that's unfortunate." But I tried it on and it fit! Going to uncuff and lower the hem. Fits perfectly though the seat, crotch, and thigh. Yay for being shaped like an athletically built boy!​
    [​IMG]

AE Clayton 9D, great shape. Available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

BB Makers puppytooth woolen tie (available) and Robert Talbott paisley tie (unavailable)

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unnamed brown plaid vest w/ blue overcheck. Unavailable
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Marked 39R but fits like 36R, fits beautifully. Nothing spectacular; probably only sharing this because it actually fits so well. Have to do a thrift fit pic at some point.

Also picked up:
    • old Bostonian Wingtip tassle loafers, black 9D (fit like a glove)
    • cloth belt made of silk (?), looks like a blue & green rep tie but is a belt. Pretty cool with my cerulean pants.
    Passes:
    • Alan Flusser shirt XL, nice brown and taupe stripes (slight mustard stain on cuff, might or might not come out. can go back for it if someone wants to risk it, really nice cloth.)
    • Gitman shirt 16.5, a bit worn
    • Norton & Sons 44, dated orphan
    • Tessori (?) 3-button orphan, EU 48R. Fit beautifully like a slim 38, immaculate S100's with nice hand and great bemberg lining, but was brown pinstripe and with dated lapels. Thinking about going back to pick it up in the hope of finding matching pants, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen and who want's a 3-button pinstripe orphan? (No one.) [Edit: It was Truzzi, not Tessori, though I still stand by my decision. Which I guess is why I couldn't remember...]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  9. Anth

Anth Well-Known Member

Why you no keep the AE's? PM'd

10. Anth

Anth Well-Known Member

Haven't been able to get out much lately but was able to hit up two stores over the weekend.

Is this the Gloverall Duffle I should be looking for? it looks exactly like this but the tag is different than the one Easy posted.
    http://www.gloverall.com/shop-item?id=1

(unavailable)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also grabbed this, I believe it is a 38, I have to see what my tailor can do with it (possibly available) Oh and the brand is J W Nordstrom but the fabric is amazing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DAKS for Bergdorf Goodman made in England, cuffed and pleated (unavailable)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

These are a different shape than the Bostonians, which I have a hard time getting on but fit well once on (I'm truly a low-volume 10B, so sometimes in loafers a 9D is better if the ball of the foot is in the right place). The toebox on these AE is fairly narrow and tapered, whereas it has a rather large mouth and wide space for the heel. Also, it's really not my style.

12. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Senior member

Need some quick help... Grenadine or not? It has the same pattern as a regular one but it isnt as obvious or large as some of the other grenadines ive come across... By the way, its the Brioni I found the other day...

[​IMG]

13. Randy

Randy Senior member

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Can you guys give me a relative vintage on this?

[​IMG]

15. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

That's the Reichsadler. I saw a camera exactly like this at a flea market in Budapest. I come across militaria at every flea market I visit and most of it is legitimate stuff. However, I came across tables full of fake German and Japanese military items in Budapest. This camera was among the stuff, so I left it behind. I found out later that they're mostly Russian cameras from the same time period, basically Soviet Leica knock-offs. They take these and add special things to them to make them seem more rare.

Anyone could have fallen for it and sometimes it's worth the risk bringing home something like that in the hopes of it being real. I'm sure most of us at some point have thrown money at something that turned out to be fake/worthless, so don't feel too bad!

16. benjclark

benjclark Well-Known Member

A couple of these look like they may work well as bow ties. Some patterns flop as neck ties but really shine as a bow. Also, if you feel a little sentimental about it (I would), it would be nice to get a couple converted and get some use rather than just hang on to them just because.

17. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Been really dry lately for my usual haunts. Just some LPs and zegna jeans

[​IMG]

18. 330CK

330CK Senior member

19. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

not an obscure word in the UK, at least it wasn't when I left 13 years ago... nor was the usage of learnt... and reading it now it would be past perfect wouldnt it?

20. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Wow, nice. You're right, those are incredibly old I'd say. When you receive them, would you mind posting some better pictures? Based on the font alone and the POLO BY RALPH LAUREN, I'd say you're looking at early '70s to early '80s. Congrats!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.