1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  2. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

thanks for finding joy from my pain[​IMG] just kidding glad my teen updates are enjoyed by some of you [​IMG] just wait until it is senior ball season there will be a whole new set of drama and I am looking forward to showing off my tux kit, got some gucci and prada stuff and am ready to show up everyone in polyester white tuxes with vests matching their dates dress [​IMG] honestly the only way I get girls is by dressing nice and making them laugh (also being super tall) so I think I need to go into ball with a killer tux a joke book and platform shoes and have a very lucku night [​IMG] also some [​IMG] would not hurt

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So, I dont know when I am going to have the time to take pics, and I know text posts are no fun, but for now its all I can muster. Local event in .0001% status wealth had a "flea market" at a fair that had fill-a-bag for $30. I got 2 garbage bags for $60 and took home :

4x Stubbs and Wootton needlepoint embroidered loafers
    2x Bass brick sole suede PTBs
    1x Bass black Weejun penny (with pennies still inside)
    2x Brooks Brothers mocha and chocolate suede brick sole PTBs
    Ralph Lauren made in Italy chestnut handstitched loafers
    NWT $1550 Celine floral printed skirt from 2 seasons ago
    black double turn lock Coach mens briefcase
    4x JCrew tailored fit 2 ply cotton shirts
    1x Hermes striped button down with silver bullet buttons
    Kiton 7 fold tie
    Bergdorf Goodman alligator belt
    Davide Cenci trench coat with zip out removable lining
    Banana Republic cotton/poly essential Mac raincoat
    NWT Holland and Sherry heavy woven tie
    Allen Edmonds Randolph loafers
    Noname handmade in Brazil tassel kiltie shoes
    PRL emerald green wide wale corduroys
    Polo Ralph Lauren white true buckskin bucks with brick soles
    Tods womens Gommini driving loafers
    Previously thought to be NWT but was just drycleaned and folded Tom Ford white tuxedo shirt

:slayer:

1 person likes this.
  4. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I don't know a lot about cameras either, but aren't there quite a few fakes of this model out there? Honestly not sure, I just don't remember seeing those colors together. Could mean it's more rare? I hope that's what it means!

5. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Awesome SC

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

That camera is incredible. I couldn't even bring myself to sell it. Congrats dude. guess not :(

7. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

That Leica is unfortunately 100% fake. If it works, hey you got a cool camera for $25, but that is most likely a Russian rangefinder re-badged to look like a Leica.

8. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

Huge shout out to 330CK for the amazing hookup on the commando sweater. I love it when a guy under promises and over delivers, thanks!

9. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

Ich_Dien: your use of that word, while (possibly) acceptable in a technical sense, makes you seem like an indifferent jerk to pretty much everyone. "no man, when i called your mom a 'cum-guzzling whore' i was using that term in the way that it was used in the 1800's by a small group of tribesmen in Nairobi. to them, it means 'nice lady.' why does everyone think i'm an asshole?" if you wanna be the kind of guy who uses the word "nigger," then fine, but accept that YOU'RE THAT GUY and be a man about it. don't try to hide behind some obscure use of the word. BE A MAN.

as for the other discussion: it'd be nice (to me at least) if this was the BRAGGING thread and not the HERE'S WHAT I'M SELLING ON EBAY NEXT WEEK thread, but this is a marketplace of ideas so whatever. the only thing that annoys me is when "available" really means "available at or near the highest price BIN asking price i found on ebay." if someone wants item X and is willing to pay ebay prices, then THEY CAN GO TO EBAY AND BUY ITEM X FOR EBAY PRICES. the fact that item X is available for ebay prices is a given, even if you hadn't found item X for $5. why bother saying "available"? why not just say "unavailable" and post it to ebay like you were going to do anyways?

EDIT: the point i'm trying to get across is that adding the word "available" doesn't add anything to the conversation, if what you're looking for is ebay prices or anything approaching ebay prices. that item you found is ALWAYS available (on ebay) for ebay prices. you didn't need to tell us that, everyone already knew.

EDIT 2: isn't there already a "What I'm selling on eBay" thread? why isn't that the more appropriate forum for telling the world that the item you found is available on ebay?

EDIT 3: klobber and toscano kinda hinted at this, but all of this YEAH DUDE I FOUND AN OLD ASS TWEED SC, TIME TO GET PAID talk has forced actual trading to go underground. several of us PM each other ALL THE TIME and send each other nice stuff at cost ALL THE TIME. like there's a defined group of dudes. none of us bother posting stuff to the thread. if we're looking to sell it, we sell it directly on ebay. if we're willing to hook other good guys up, we send a PM around to the group. i wish this kind of generosity could be more widespread, but SF has an 8-person limit on group PM's. so yeah.

EDIT 4: +1

also: brag post:

[​IMG]

ferragamo loafers, 10D

i paid way more than thrift prices for these, but fuck it. they're my size, they're awesome, and i'd been wanting to get some blue suede shoes. plus when i put them on i felt like the prettiest girl in the whole wide world! :inlove:

1 person likes this.
  10. 330CK

330CK Senior member

:cheers:

Return shout out to Apollotrader for being fair and easy to deal with. Thanks, man!

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Awesome! I've been wanting some of these just for the baller-ness of them. 0% chance I find any here, though.

12. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Far out, man! I'm totally gonna steal this pic and try to dress like this! High five!

Give this guy a break. To me, he seems like an ESL speaker. He might not quite understand the power or the sentiment of any words that remotely resembles the "N" word brings in our culture.

I was never aware you are unpopular on here...lol No, but seriously, I have mix thoughts on this topic.

First of all, If you charge your items high on here, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's your possession and you get to do whatever you want with it. If people are willing to pay the asking price, then more power to you. If you don't want to pay the asking price and all negotiation falls through, move on with your life. No big deal.

Now, when it comes to etiquette, I think it's only reasonable to reciprocate any hook ups you get on here. I prefer trading items over cash buys because it seems to be a fairer deal for both parties. On top of that, you can resell or re-trade the item if it doesn't fit without your trading partner accusing you of cheating him out of his Ebay profit. Then you have to apologize and do damage control. If you don't, well, your reputation gets soiled on here. Too much hassle!

The bottom line is If you don't want your items to go cheap on here, DON'T post it on here, go straight to Ebay.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sorry, forgot to mention - those were womens. :(

14. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

da fuq.

15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

"Basically white people problems" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

16. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

my closet is mad full, so i only got one pair of 'gamos instead of two. #thrifterproblems

17. grendel

grendel Senior member

What? No. This is the bragging thread. Post here no matter what you plan to do with it.

Since I'm posting on this now, here's what I do:

If you're a regular and PM me about something I'll either do cost + shipping + a little gas money, or, if it's higher value, I'll figure what I think I can get on eBay and divide by 2. For some regulars rather than try to figure out a trade right away I've just shipped stuff off and we figured it out later. However, I also get several lurkers who don't post here PM'ing me expecting the same kind of deal, and I don't really see the point of offering super low prices to people who don't contribute to the community.

1 person likes this.
  18. grendel

grendel Senior member

Uh, hey... We're the same size [​IMG]

19. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

NIGGARDLY, NIGGARDLY, NIGGARDLY!!!!!!!!!

There, I said it--a whole bunch of times. "Niggardly" is NOT a racist term. Has nothing to do with skin color, y'all can look it up, and please do. It means "miserly" or "overly cheap" or something to that effect. As an aficionado of the English language, I hate, and I mean truly hate, it when folks bastardize (you can look that up, too) the language. Not so many years ago, someone in government got fired for using the word "niggardly," and the Fourth Estate that was supposed to run herd on shit didn't figure out what the freakin' word meant until it was too late. The poor sap still ended up on the unemployment line. Again, and please, there are more than enough lawyers and academics who populate this thread. I happen to like the word "niggardly," although not as much as "nepenthe."

Peace.

2 people like this.
  20. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Thank you! Blimey I didn't realise you yanks got so PC about phonetics...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.