The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

+1. Ended up buying a Louis Vuitton drunk..

2. amadar

amadar Senior member

As amazing as these are.....and they are....it makes me think how hilarious these would have been were they triple pleated and not unicorns.

3. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

No sir not drunk enough for these.

4. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Full-body pic of today's sportcoat find, which is currently at the cleaners. No luck scouring the Internet for clues as to the maker, so it will remain a mystery.

Now I just have to figure out what to wear with this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:crackup:

:laugh:

[​IMG]

Looks fake to me. Never seen that label on a tie. Font looks off and that fabric content tag is way off.

6. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Senior member

Speaking of Grenadine ties. Picked up a Luciano Barbera tie that I believe is a grenadine but I dont have trained eye just yet. Some assistance please?..

.[​IMG][​IMG]

Also, like Cotton Dockers said, I normally dont pick up pieces with holes UNLESS its a big name. I came across this bad boy awhile back and got very lucky cause there were spare buttons AND extra fabric in the pockets which I believe is going to make this piece flawless once I have the money to take it in to a reweaver. I imagine that if they had to try and match the material it would be more difficult to make it look new again?
    anyway...here is that piece...(sorry, dont know why these are pasting on here sideways)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

So pic of my new suit promised. Not full body, just with my phone, and I wasn't gonna ask a tourist. Tried to get the capitol in the background, but apparently I blocked it out. Ah well.

[​IMG]

The suit is the botany 500 in 36S I thrifted the other day, the tie, a Talbott mainline, was part of the same day's haul. Shirt was new off e-bay, so it wasn't a complete thrift day. The outfit, with tailoring all included, still came in around $80 total.

8. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I accidentally bought a 70% silk/30% poly Talbott tie a few months ago; I didn't read the materials label carefully enough to notice until a few weeks after I bought the tie.

9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I went out thrifting with the gf for a whole goddamn day and didn't do as well as I had hoped...Anyways, here to show off the goods.

I skipped out on a bunch of Brooks Brothers suits, a Dior jacket, and some Italian SC that didn't fit me. I also skipped out on to my surprises a bunch of Zegna shirts. Also passed on a few Hugo Boss and Banana Republic shirts.

Canali vintage DB SC size 52 (euro size) so that's about a size 42. It's pretty baggy around the mid section and the sleeves are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch too long. Gonna take it to my tailor to see what she can do. It might be available. This was a first Canali for me. I'm pretty happy about this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to the gf for finding some of these sweet ties. Dior (beautiful floral design), Zegna NWT (a first for me), Gucci (first for me), Penguin (dope pattern also NWT), Brooks Brothers, RL Chaps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thomas Pink
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Zegna shirt
    [​IMG]

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I love those penguin tags, just a fun bit of graphic design. Sadly the keeper isn't as interesting. It's not bad, but not as cool as that checked band. Picked one up at a marshalls once, and couldn't bring myself to take the tag off for ages. It only came off when I finally wore it, but I usually take any tagging off of new clothing immediately.

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Not the best feedback they could have left :facepalm: I noticed I put something incorrect in my listing while I was packing the shirt and contacted them to ask what they wanted to do. It should be noted that by "cancelled" they really mean "accepted the immediate refund and ignored the request to cancel the transaction"

Speaking of poly talbott ties, I picked up a cotton/silk blend Zegna recently, was a little surprised they'd do that.

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

There is SO much in the above twenty or so posts that would lighten my wallet. For example...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

[​IMG]

14. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Damn, that dior tie is the tits! How much?! [​IMG]

On another note. I fall victim to this sometimes as well. All the outdated stuff some buy just because it has an expensive name, does it move?

15. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

I've had pretty good luck moving older Burberry and armani collezioni. Which many kn here would warn against picking up. $70 for old armani suit 30-50to for old burberrys SCs. I mean that's not stellar, but for 5-10 a pop it's a helluva lot more money than I would've made passing on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.