1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

^^^
    Ohhhhhh! Thanks!
    :worship:

2. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Heyyyy, I'm 50L... :p

3. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Nice stuff, PM'd on Paul Stuart

4. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Quick post. Off the 'bay, technically, but actually cheaper than what a tie costs at thrifts here, so counting it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

staxringold: :p
    brianpore: .

(note: drawn to scale)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    3 people like this.
  6. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Got a bunch of shirts today, all available:

Gant x2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

John Varvatos Made in Italy
    [​IMG]

APC
    [​IMG]

Dunhill - is this the good stuff?
    [​IMG]

Also snagged a pretty sweet Polo made in USA tweed, available:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Beck

Beck Senior member

Saw 6 harris tweed sportcoats all in a line today, the first one was the one I grabbed (New with tags) and $4 in the pocket [​IMG]

The next 5 were cool too...However, I think someone in the back was on something because the new with tags one was $8.99 which I can deal with. However the next 5 were marked @ 19.99 a piece. Now I don't know why the sudden price jump.. Maybe he thought if someone buys one they'll buy em all. I have seen this same tactic at the same store done with Prada polos.

Also, has anyone here even gotten excited seeing a Joseph Abboud on accident? I pulled out this really nice looking striped black suit coat and thought "This has to be atleast paul smith..... Joseph Abboud for Nordstroms" I passed because I am tight on cash and it wasn't a perfect fit.

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

All available:

Brooks Brothers Irish linen sport shirt, Large

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage Brooks Brothers Makers OCBD, 16x33

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hickey Freeman sportcoat, 42L

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Those pants are part of a suit. Any chance you can get back there? The coat could turn up.

If it fits and looks good on you, grab it. J. Abboud has some good fabrics IMO (even if it's not SF approved).

10. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

That's what I was afraid of. I checked around - there were less than 20 pants there and maybe a dozen jackets. I don't think this place really moves volume.
    I'm going back next week so will give it one more go.
    In the end though they could probably do yeoman's service as far as an orphan goes.

11. troika

troika Senior member

Anyone here from Houston? I will be there for a few days at the end of the month and will probably have some time for thrifting in the evenings.

12. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Some vintage outdoor gear lately. Hoping for some info from anyone who's smarter about this stuff than myself. If there were a Nat signal, I'd put it up.

First, a pair of Italian hiking/bordering-on-mountaineering boots. These are suede and compare favorably, I think, with my Raichles circa 1992 from Switzerland--really fine condition, as if someone with a lot of money got the outdoors bug then re-considered after an outing or two. No manufacturer's label, though. A Google/eBay search reveals they are likely from a company called RTG,--never heard of them. They fit, but I don't do much backpacking anymore so they'll likely go--they are 8.5D, for those who might be interested. I'm looking for enough info to post an accurate listing, especially regarding whatever company made these. Any rate, the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Next, a GoreTex rain parka by Sierra Design. This one shows no sign of having ever been worn--having donned it twice yesterday between car and the front doors of two thrift stores during an unexpected downpour, I suspect I have worn it more than the original owner. It has armpit vents and lots of pockets--for the early years, it seems pretty advanced. In my younger days, I slept many, many nights in a coffin-shaped SD tent that I still have--a poor man's North Face, perhaps, but super light and durable--and have a lot of respect for the brand from back in the day. Any rate, I'm posting because I am not sure if this is a woman's garment or unisex. The zipper is on the wrong side to be a men's jacket, but it seems awfully big to be a woman's jacket, even with the XL tag. It's made in Canada, if that's any help. Bottom line: Is this unisex or a chick jacket or just they way they roll in Quebec?

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

NATAKU!

Lets do this son

14. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

15. catside

catside Senior member

I bidded. :D It's not like it fits, lol. If everybody stops bidding now, they are mine :rimshot:

16. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

17. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

18. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

19. DanM

DanM Senior member

I wanted to be a part of it too - bidded up to $70. Over $90 now. Craziness.

20. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

No offense Ian, but I personally don't think I'd want someone to post something like that on a public forum about my online shop.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.