The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I know little, but here's what I do know via SF generally: GH on Savile Row is the bespoke shop. GH the brand also has licensed ready to wear stuff. The made in USA stuff is by Hickey Freeman, and some people (including me) think it's good quality. Opinions vary. I would assume anything RTW made under license in Hong Kong is of no greater quality than Hickey. Based on your comment that it was "hideous," I assume it's not for you, so pass.

Good God! I love that SC! But it's just a TAD too big, I think. Will PM; hoping for measurements.

HOLY MOTHEREFFING HELL! NICELY DONE!!!!! I agree with Mainy, bragging is OK no matter what form. Though I'd add "pics or it didn't happen" as a thread rule (though I was also OK with your explanation re: pics)

NO BUTTHURT; JUST CLARIFICATION: Not sure what the definition of "decent prices" is, but PM sent.

Size 10.5, can a brother get a proxy?

I kind of like them too, but most of their stuff is too small. Not Borrelli or anything, but they look smart. And that's what it's all about.

Going to disagree and say Adrian Jules should be on the keep list. Nat snagged an AJ suit for me a while back. It kicks ASS. What do I know, but I'd easily put it on par with BBGF hand tailored/Martin Greenfield stuff, possibly even better. Nat: Back me up.

FINALLY: Didn't I see one of you dudes post this a while back? Looks real nice, just a bit too big. Bigger guys, take notice.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261038741799&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Handsome shoes, but fairly certain they are not shell.

3. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Probably a good pass. Licensed G&H doesn't have a whole lot of value, and since that is unvented and made in HK it probably isn't worthwhile.

4. concealed

concealed Senior member

[​IMG]

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

6. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Sorry this went unnoticed. When I first started, my goal was to find a burberry trench, but after I picked up a sweet Aquascutum, I realized I'm too short to pull off a full-length jacket of any sort, so that goal kind of faded away.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Never too short!
    [​IMG]

8. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

You neglected to take a closer look at the completed listings. All the ones that sold did not look like they were licensed, but rather actually made in London by G&H. [​IMG]

9. GHo

GHo Senior member

:lol:

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Quote:
    I like a lot of Faconnable stuff too. They use interesting fabrics / patterns.

I like Adrian Jules. I drive by there all the time since it's here in Rochester. Don't know as I'd say it's as good as Martin Greenfield stuff, but it's good quality for sure. It's a great pick up if it fits you, but has little resale value because it's not well known.

11. concealed

concealed Senior member

I like some Facconable fabrics, but I do not like the little tags on pocket

12. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

at 6'2" it feels long on me even though it's a 46R... I guess they decided to stay true to its roots and make a shorter version too for people who didnt like the length.

Of course at the price I got it, beggars can't be choosers...

not quite sure how I'm going to make it work with an eclipse

[​IMG]

13. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

This talk of Adrian Jules is all well and good, but dude was asking about Alexander Julian. And, based on the rest of his haul, I'm going to assume he's referring to Colours by Alexander Julian, which really isn't worth picking up.

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

"Brocken is actually a pygmy on stilts wearing a trench coat and fake arms & head!"

WHO DO YOU THINK I AM??

15. colts87

colts87 Member

Hi all,
    I am new to style forum and I need some advice. I have a beautiful vintage glen plaid tweed in a unique green/blue/black. It is single breasted but I want to convert it into a double breasted, My tailor thinks that it is improper to do, but the jacket is too big around the waist so there is indeed more than enough room to make the overlap. I feel that making this unique colored vintage tweed a DB will seperatre it from your average tweed.

Please, I need some advice on whether or not doing so will just make it (or me) look ridiculous
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.