• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No one has any ideas? Was this a good find or it was a good idea to pass?

I know little, but here's what I do know via SF generally: GH on Savile Row is the bespoke shop. GH the brand also has licensed ready to wear stuff. The made in USA stuff is by Hickey Freeman, and some people (including me) think it's good quality. Opinions vary. I would assume anything RTW made under license in Hong Kong is of no greater quality than Hickey. Based on your comment that it was "hideous," I assume it's not for you, so pass.

Today's thrifting brought to you by ....
Whammy!

Good God! I love that SC! But it's just a TAD too big, I think. Will PM; hoping for measurements.

Tally of the haul:
5 Brioni Blazers
1 RLPL Suit
90+ Turnbull & Asser Shirts
10 unknown shirts

HOLY MOTHEREFFING HELL! NICELY DONE!!!!! I agree with Mainy, bragging is OK no matter what form. Though I'd add "pics or it didn't happen" as a thread rule (though I was also OK with your explanation re: pics)

Yep, all 16-41 (maybe a few 16.5-42 mixed in), and same initials.
For everyone wondering, they're all available, but because of my living situation I can't get pics soon.  I'd prefer to sell 5+ of them to each person buying at decent prices.

NO BUTTHURT; JUST CLARIFICATION: Not sure what the definition of "decent prices" is, but PM sent.

To satisfy mainy's hysteria crisis, ... Church's split toe at 12.99, ...

Size 10.5, can a brother get a proxy?

I rather like Faconnable if I must admit.

I kind of like them too, but most of their stuff is too small. Not Borrelli or anything, but they look smart. And that's what it's all about.

^^^ You would REALLY benefit from going back and reading a few hundred past postings...  you're doing it wrong.

Going to disagree and say Adrian Jules should be on the keep list. Nat snagged an AJ suit for me a while back. It kicks ASS. What do I know, but I'd easily put it on par with BBGF hand tailored/Martin Greenfield stuff, possibly even better. Nat: Back me up.

FINALLY: Didn't I see one of you dudes post this a while back? Looks real nice, just a bit too big. Bigger guys, take notice.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261038741799&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This vintage beauty is from few weeks ago running in the shell not shell game in the other forum, bought expressly for that purpose.
Jury is out on the shell, but my research so far says not.
Ad from 1956. Brand belongs to Hamilton Brown Shoe Company of St Louis, bankrupted and bought by Craddock Terry Shoe company of Lynchburg, Virgina . HB factory burned 76. Craddock and Terry bankrupted 80ies.
Handsome shoes, but fairly certain they are not shell.

goneAWOL

Reaction score

Probably a good pass. Licensed G&H doesn't have a whole lot of value, and since that is unvented and made in HK it probably isn't worthwhile.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:

You neglected to give use the determining factors to deciede if it was a good pass.....1) was it for you or to flip and 2) how much was it?

It looks NWT???? If that is the case, hope over to ebay and look at the completed auctions...oh wait, I did that already http://www.ebay.com/csc/Coats-Jacke...ondition=1000&_nkw=gieves&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

For You Flip
Under $10
PASS FLIP
Over $10 PASS PASS

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry this went unnoticed. When I first started, my goal was to find a burberry trench, but after I picked up a sweet Aquascutum, I realized I'm too short to pull off a full-length jacket of any sort, so that goal kind of faded away.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry this went unnoticed. When I first started, my goal was to find a burberry trench, but after I picked up a sweet Aquascutum, I realized I'm too short to pull off a full-length jacket of any sort, so that goal kind of faded away.
Never too short!
IronCastle09.jpg

Last edited:

goneAWOL

Reaction score
You neglected to give use the determining factors to deciede if it was a good pass.....1) was it for you or to flip and 2) how much was it?

It looks NWT???? If that is the case, hope over to ebay and look at the completed auctions...oh wait, I did that already http://www.ebay.com/csc/Coats-Jacke...ondition=1000&_nkw=gieves&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

For You Flip
Under $10
PASS FLIP
Over $10 PASS PASS

You neglected to take a closer look at the completed listings. All the ones that sold did not look like they were licensed, but rather actually made in London by G&H.
bigstar[1].gif

Last edited:

GHo

Reaction score

You neglected to give use the determining factors to deciede if it was a good pass.....1) was it for you or to flip and 2) how much was it? It looks NWT???? If that is the case, hope over to ebay and look at the completed auctions...oh wait, I did that already http://www.ebay.com/csc/Coats-Jacke...ondition=1000&_nkw=gieves&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc
[TR] [TD] [/TD] [TD]For You[/TD] [TD]Flip[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Under $10 [/TD] [TD]PASS[/TD] [TD]FLIP[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]Over $10[/TD] [TD]PASS[/TD] [TD]PASS[/TD] [/TR]
:lol:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

I like a lot of Faconnable stuff too. They use interesting fabrics / patterns.

I like Adrian Jules. I drive by there all the time since it's here in Rochester. Don't know as I'd say it's as good as Martin Greenfield stuff, but it's good quality for sure. It's a great pick up if it fits you, but has little resale value because it's not well known.

Last edited:

madmacs

Reaction score

at 6'2" it feels long on me even though it's a 46R... I guess they decided to stay true to its roots and make a shorter version too for people who didnt like the length.

Of course at the price I got it, beggars can't be choosers...

not quite sure how I'm going to make it work with an eclipse

Last edited:

DeadBoy

Reaction score
I like Adrian Jules. I drive by there all the time since it's here in Rochester. Don't know as I'd say it's as good as Martin Greenfield stuff, but it's good quality for sure. It's a great pick up if it fits you, but has little resale value because it's not well known.

This talk of Adrian Jules is all well and good, but dude was asking about Alexander Julian. And, based on the rest of his haul, I'm going to assume he's referring to Colours by Alexander Julian, which really isn't worth picking up.

colts87

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to style forum and I need some advice. I have a beautiful vintage glen plaid tweed in a unique green/blue/black. It is single breasted but I want to convert it into a double breasted, My tailor thinks that it is improper to do, but the jacket is too big around the waist so there is indeed more than enough room to make the overlap. I feel that making this unique colored vintage tweed a DB will seperatre it from your average tweed.

Please, I need some advice on whether or not doing so will just make it (or me) look ridiculous
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads