The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Mind-boggling the myriad knowledge in this thread.

Turner didn't start using a tapered head-tube in the Sultan until a later revision, around the 2011 model year. This is a 2010 model, and I had a 2009 model which I absolutely loved. I was adamantly looking for a later model for several months now, but none have come up in my size that I could justify. This frame came up with a BIN a bit below market value, in the size I needed, and came with the King headset. I pounced. Now I'm having a hell of a time finding the proper fork that isn't a tapered. I don't want to can't pay retail.

2. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

next time someone does a "been gone, recap please" post, the only reply needed will be these boots. wish they were hope they are my size!!!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

shortly followed by even more nickel-and-diming each other!

4. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

3rd time thrifting and found a few items

bb trousers 34/34
    [​IMG]

navy blazer 38R- anyone ever heard of the maker?
    - this blazer also doesn't have any vents in the back
    [​IMG]

suit - today's man?
    - jacket fits me but the trousers are way too small
    [​IMG]

christian dior tie:
    [​IMG]

I found a bunch of other suits/shirt but not my size and didn't know
    the makers. any of you guys recognize these names?
    - tom jones
    - aldo ferrari
    - austin reed
    - alexander julian
    - christian st hubert
    - kuppenheimer
    - briar - (tie)
    - daniel cremieux (classics) buton up shirt

5. 951socal

951socal Senior member

do any of you guys pick up TUMI bags?
    i know they're not handmade in italy (machine made in china or korea actually) or as nice as saddleback leather bags but
    they're pretty damn expensive at nordstrom and macys ($250ish?)

i picked one up today in...not going to risk selling it on ebay or proxying to you guys condition

but still in good enough for 951socal to hit it and quit it with spare leather conditioner for my old car and my one of a kind balling zegna shirt rags condition

its not pretty but i kind of like worn leather and the distressed leather look. it has some very obvious wear in alot of the corners and bottom though hence not sellable/proxyable condition, can i get some of the dye back into those areas with black shoe polish? (bag is black)

if not, hey whatever, for $20 i think i found a new range bag rather than tearing up that barbour jacket.

6. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ You would REALLY benefit from going back and reading a few hundred past postings... you're doing it wrong.

7. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

cool thx. i'm slowly going through the thread, so much to read

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

Very nice! I really dig that tie.

I used to ride a Cannondale Gemini for years, until I moved to the flattest city of all time. Manitou Sherman 1.5 inch fork with 7 inches of travel and a 7 inch Fox pro pedal on the rear topped off with 8 inch Hayes purple disks and a Race Face North Shore DH crank-set.....man I miss that bike.

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

If item picked out and you like it, take it. Brand of clothing does not enter the equation. However, as you get a taste for this hobby and develop more familiarity with brands, particularly the high end ones, it is invariable you will start collecting those higher end items, chucking the old ones out. What you want in this case is the old clothes still have a desirability - i.e. you can sell them. So basically, in a nutshell, brand familiarity is key.

I noticed a Christian Dior tie that you scored. Good spot - Dior are a great brand and can be highly collectable. However, Dior is quite an old brand and it has undergone many changes over the years. The actual line of very desirable stuff will say "Dior" in silver letters on a black background - we often call this particular line Dior Homme and it is one of the most sought after brands out there. "Christian Dior" Monsieur (or anything saying Christian Dior) on the other hand - mostly worthless.

Brooks Brothers - look out for Golden Fleece and Black Fleece. The 1818 stuff, possibly worthwhile pickup if recent and modern. I would not get in a habit of grabbing every Brooks Brothers item you see though (most of us here probably ignore 9 in every 10 Brooks Brothers piece we find). Same applies to Ralph Lauren Polo, Faconnable, and even Hugo Boss. Of these brands listed, Ralph Lauren Polo is quite sought after here if the piece was made in Italy (or USA where the manufacturer of the item is clear, i.e. Hickey Freeman or Martin Greenfield). Ralph Lauren made anywhere else (particularly China, India, Philippines etc) is usually best avoided unless the item in question is cool or clearly high quality.

You do not need to pour through the back pages of this thread, just look through the main menswear forum using a search function if need be. All those brands spoken about there are what we all go nuts for here. Go back around 20 pages here, check the main forum for threads on shirt brands and suit brands, and research what brands are selling in the classifieds here.

Best of luck thrifting.

Do not feel shy posting your finds, you are learning and I am sure many here will cut you some slack. Treat criticism as a virtue, even if it is snarky. It is par for the course, but you will quickly calibrate yourself towards decent finds (if they are there). Best of luck to you, I hope to see some awesome things from you in future.

* Oh yes, not forgetting the obvious. Go to a local Saks or Neiman Marcus and wonder around looking and writing down brands. Before I joined SF, that is what I did so I could know what to look out for. How to know? Flip over the price tag and see how much that sucker is worth. If a brand is worth more, generally people will want it more ;)

11. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Oh, Faconnable, I remember those. I used to buy their sweaters from The Rack. It's French for "fashionable" if I remember correctly.

12. barrelntrigger

Ok, I finally got the posting down. Let's try this again.

I got this in San Diego few month ago. Vintage houndstooth SC DB from The Hound. Single vent with full line. It has some very unique lapel button holes on both sides of the peak lapel. It's a 39R. I made it into a 39S.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got this from a vintage store in Palo Alto. It's from 1965. Vintage check SC. 43R but fits like a 40S. It has really short double vents and 1/2 lined. Just ignore the pants and vest in there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got this Brooks Brothers shirt. 16/33. Fits me like a glove.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got this shirt in San Diego. Looks unique. Posting it for kicks.
    [​IMG]
    Yves Saint Laurent shirt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are some Brooks Brothers suits.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

post a fit pic? sounds like a great find!

14. barrelntrigger

No one has any ideas? Was this a good find or it was a good idea to pass?

15. bafe

bafe Well-Known Member

Silk cravat/foulard, new: 30 eur.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.