1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Thanks!

This was a recent find from "a friend of ours," if I can use some veiled mafia-speak. :happy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know this isn't everyone's taste, but I am considering picking this thing up soon. It's huge, heavy and old (cue stereotypical mother-in-law joke).

[​IMG]

2. eazye

eazye Senior member

Looks really good man, really good. :nodding:

I picked up a cashmere BC sweater for $4 about a month ago that also went to 330CK.

I found a bespoke Dormeuil db blazer a couple months ago that fits like a glove, working cuffs and all......I have yet to wear it though. :embar:

3. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Hopefully the cart kicker wont kick that one. ^^^^

4. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

While we're on the topic of furniture, if anyone can find me a nice office chair for my work-from-home gig that can be shipped to me reasonably, I'd be much obliged.

5. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Picked up a few cool things today - all available.

Two super thick Malo casua lsweaters 100% cashmere, tagged Euro 52. These are really really nice, has anyone else had experience with Malo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vestimenta wool pants - no tagged size but waist is 35".
    [​IMG]

Vintage Woolrich shirt - leather collar and elbow patches tagged a Large.
    [​IMG]

6. eazye

eazye Senior member

So I had the day off today and spent it on some much needed (thrift)retail therapy. First up a pair of mystery shells. The last letter in the makers name is S. Sorry for the crappy pics, lighting in here is shit today. Can somebody make up a Spoo type signal for Wes????
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My first Ricci and boy is it ugly but for less than $1, I wasnt going to leave it. available
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Awesome mint Brioni sz XL that the previous owner wrote his name on the collar. It doesn't show through, but still, :fu: available
    [​IMG]
    T&A with 3 button MOP cuffs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BB country patchwork madras Harrington jacket, off season but it was half price, sz XL, available
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The mother of all Tweeds!!!! J Press Presstige Donegal Mist Tweed, cashmere, kid mohair, wool. Is it safe to call this a "grail tweed"? Or "greed" for short. :devil: Marked a 39S. Available
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another "greed", though maybe a little less so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But my favorite finds of the day by far, two rather large prints by George Write Pinx. Both show polo players in the heat of a match. After I post this, I'm going to strip and refinish the frames. And so the slow conversion of my apartment into a Ralph Lauren store continues......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. grendel

grendel Senior member

Nice haul! That J Press is sexy!

Anything inside the shell shoes?

I LOL'd at the RL store comment. I loved the one in Atlanta when I visited. I definitely would move in if I could.

8. eazye

eazye Senior member

Yea, the numbers in the 3rd pic and I can just make out an S that appears to be the last letter of the makers name.

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

Also, the RL store on Michigan Ave here is out of the world, I too would live there if i could. That or the RL restaurant next store. :D

10. Vintage Leather

Vintage Leather Well-Known Member

You wanted to show us your etchings? :D

Amodex is really good for removing pen stains from fabric - you can find it in most fountain pen shops. I think I also saw it at Office Max, but I am not certain on that one.

11. eazye

eazye Senior member

I also left behind a ton of stuff I probably would have picked up only a couple months ago, I just don't like having piles of shit lying around, neither does the wife. Zegna Couture XXX pointy square toed shoes if that makes sense, among others. I also saw a cashmere and vicuna topcoat and nearly shat myself again, until I saw it had about 300 moth holes in it. :fu::fu: :fu: :fu:

12. eazye

eazye Senior member

????, ahhhh from the Brioni you mean. I'll probably just leave it as is.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  13. concealed

concealed Senior member

probably should have grabbed the zegnas

14. Vintage Leather

Vintage Leather Well-Known Member

The two George Wright pieces are etchings - the black lines were carved into copper, and then printed on paper. They were then probably hand painted.
    "show your etchings" is a very old joke.

Amidox was in reference to the name on the shirt collar. If you want to remove it, or if you see similar in the future it might be worth the effort. It doesn't do as well on old stains, and it depends on how much work you want to put into flipping. In my area, a lot of thrifts have marks from Last Call and Off Fifth on the tags - Amodex is really useful for that.

15. eazye

eazye Senior member

They were so fucking ugly and needed some work, I used my best judgement. But now you've got me thinking :fu:

16. eazye

eazye Senior member

Very cool, thank you for the info. Now that I look at them closely, it does look like watercolor. :slayer:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  17. pfhtrad

pfhtrad Well-Known Member

Mid-terms are eating up all of my time and since the thrifts are all on my route to school, and sadly, I'm still picking.

I can't stop, I think I have a problem.

Anyway, couple things of interest, save the best for last.

Looking to move these - they came for free. 5 Charvet Shirts, tagged 40-42. French cuffs are worn, collars are a bit ratty. Bodies good, armpits good and they still have all of their MOP Buttons.

Yours for the price of shipping. Seriously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polo Shorts. Size 32. Nothing Special, came with the last lot. Yours for the price of shipping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok. Meat and Potatoes. All Available. But not free.

Size 52 Brunello Cucinelli for Bergdorf Goodman Red Cable Knit Sweater. Soft. Nice. Cucinelli.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Men's Size 44 Ballantyne Cashmere Cardigan. Needs some Woolite and a brush or two with a sweater stone but darn is this thing nice. Fits like a 44 and the waist and cuffs are tight on me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, looking for some help. Linen Shirt. Really nice, powder blue and khaki check on white, buttons nothing special. Never heard of the maker/designer and Google has been fruitless (except saying he's a Men's wear designer) Could this be an Italian locally produced item? Has a spot of marker on the collar and I'm fresh out of Carbona from a pair of wool NWOT RRL's that still processing.

Darn Salvation Army people go crazy with them markers, I need to buy stock in Carbona now.

Shirt by Roberto Biagini, Size L

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh. And these. Never quite know what your going to find. Found the maker last week, forget who. But did you know Lederhosen go for like 350 Euros??? These fit like a stiff leather glove, so I'm keeping and don't expect a thrift fit pick until I'm back in Oberstdorf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. pfhtrad

pfhtrad Well-Known Member

I forgot some ties. Keeping. I think. At least the wool ones are getting Vacuum Stored right now.

From Left to Right:

Burberry's Wool (Made in Great Britain)
    Burberry's Scottish Woven Wool and Linen (made in Britain)
    Breuer Wool
    Barney's NY (maker unknown, only other marks say Made in Italy)
    Gucci (pretty sure its real, and its old)
    and a wild Etro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Total: $17.94 at Salvation Army.

19. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Aaaah - still that is a grail find for finding out in the wild and not in a dedicated camera shop.

Very cool! :slayer:

20. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

The heels are nothing special. O' Sullivan. They are used by Mason, Executive Imperial and also as replacement heels, so no help there. How about a pic of the foot beds. Even a piece of the text you can see might help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.