1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

AAAAAAAAmen!

oh, my first Hermes tie. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    number 7734 OA. looks nice, i like it. Hermes is growing on me.[​IMG]

2. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Geezy criminy, thread on fire! New Lobbs?! I will say, in the past 6 months or so there have been more Lobbs on there than in awhile...

That leads me into a discussion question i've been meaning to post for awhile... what are your grail brands (for PERSONAL use) that you've never found a stitch of in a thrift? No, Ebay and Internet/consignment finds do not count. ;)

A few for me: Kiton, Attolini, Thom Browne, Tom Ford, Lobb, Edward Green... just about everything else has shown up at least once, if not in the category I'd prefer!

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I've been at the game for only 4 months now. I won't bore you with the lesser finds. I did pick up a 2 piece Prada suit which isn't that brag worthy but that thing fits me like a glove! I've only worn it to a wedding but I love how that thing fits! I'm looking forward to find my first Kiton or Isaia that will actually fit as well as my Prada.

4. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Hmmm, need to add the big E Levis to my mental rolodex...

Finds from past week. Finally found some good stuff that fit me :
    Zanella FF Unicorns! I have previously found one pair of the unicorns, but they had 2 moth holes. Pretty sure these are hole free. Tagged 38, but they feel like a 35 (I’m a 34). so I’ll try them on with a belt and they don’t look good I’ll go ahead and cinch them. N/A
    [​IMG]

S Ferragamo PTB pebble grains. Size 9.5 so they fit! N/A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BB S/S Polo. This was from one of those thrifts that doesn’t have a dressing room. Tagged as XL but really fits like a Small . I usually wear a big M or L. Really must have shrunk or the previous owner tapered it. Reluctantly available.
    [​IMG]

AE bradleys, size 12D. Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Lacoste L/S size 45. Green check pattern. Made in Hong Kong? Not sure if fake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nonclothing find: Aerobars. New as they are still tacked on by those handitie things. Only paid $6.
    [​IMG]

5. tben

tben Senior member

Slim pickins...? Where do you go to school? Pm me if you would like.

6. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Sorry my dude, clip-on aerobars from the 90s are the Christian Dior monsieur of the bike world. Dated and frowned upon by all but the most uneducated Fred.

I also haven't found any of the brands you've listed but, for personal use, I would be showing off for no one in particular if I wore a Kiton suit. For stuff that fits my style, it seems that a lot of people have had luck with APC denim of which I've seen none. Also, those Visvim shoes that someone found in California strike me as a bonkers thrift find that I would rock until they fell off my feet. Hell, you found Nom de Guerre before me. Given that I live in bro mecca I figured that I would find more of these brands which cost a fraction of the ones you listed, yet the donors are surprisingly less keen on the SW&D brands that I favor.

For MC, the ultimate grail for me and something that I lack entirely, a spalla camicia jammer would be perfect. Piombo, Boglioli, Ring Jacket, etc.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  7. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Isn't that a Performance Bike house brand too?

8. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

This "uneducated Fred" prefers clip ons as he has found them to be more adjustable than stock bars (non standard body type). Not that I would plop down what a new Trek or Cervelo w/stock bars goes for these days.

9. mhtcjt37

mhtcjt37 Senior member

Hey guys, I've been a lurker for a while but decided to finally become a member and try to learn some more from all of you. For starters, could you all help me with an authenticity check on this Brioni tie I thrifted this week? Obviously I'm new to Brioni so I know very very little, so if its obvious please just explain what it is for future reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Those plus Momotaro, Big John, Junya Watanabe, Rick Owens, YYPH (have found Y-3, didn't like it), MMM, Robert Geller and a whole bunch of other things that will almost certainly never show up in a Toronto thrift. Although I am planning a trip tonight, so who knows...

In related news, apparently Express is closing the upcoming Toronto Fashion Week. WTF

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Kiton, Boglioli, Isaia, Cucinelli, Sartoria Partenopia, John Lobb, Edward Green, Vass, Drake's, E. Marinella, Marcoliani or Pantharella socks (new)....

12. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I thought I'd cross post again even though it's so close to Monday's choice's (all different though, so I must just own a lot of similar looking things. :embar:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Everything looks consistent with the Brioni ties I've handled. I'm gonna vote real. Unfold it, you should see a serial number underneath. Be careful, not all of their ties have it. The more recent ones all do.

14. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Looks real, and spectacular!

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Send it to me and I'll check it over carefully for a year or two [​IMG]

Looks legit to me and one of the nicer Brioni I've seen

16. concealed

concealed Senior member

quoted for samesies, although I have found Isaia before

17. grendel

grendel Senior member

I should have also added any / all of the Savile Row tailors actually made in England (I've found several G&H by HF) and also St. Crispin and G&G for shoes

18. tben

tben Senior member

I just found some Pantherella socks, new, but there wasn't much interest so I left 4 other packs, also new, at the store.

19. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

CAPNWES- So stoked for you on that Leica.

DM7- Can't wait to see your web shop.

This thread is getting nuts with all the Hermes and Lobb popping up. I've been to busy to go out during the week but seeing everyones finds as of late I'm really looking forward to going out this weekend.
    Only finds I've had are a very nice pair of Danner boots in 11. Which is my size and I almost pulled the trigger on these new a couple of times but Im thankful I didn't as they aren't working out. Also found a Trovata plaid dress shirt size S only because it ended up on the mens side. If someone wants it for cost. I'll have pics of both soon.

Sunday evening hopefully I'll have a bunch of shirts to offer at cost+shipping which was something I intended to do when DM7's forum was up but didn't get around to doing it in time.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  20. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

i was looking for a Brioni, found one last week. now looking for isaia or Pal Zileri. s/b suits. but sometimes a grail will present itself.
    and it wasnt on your list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.