The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

OK, thanks to you both. Just frustrated - trying to contribute and getting grief in return. I have my own host; will try again tomorrow.

2. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

OH MY GOD another "since you are new" after a couple plain text-only posts are lost. Really, I would have liked to be part of the community and conversations but something somewhere doesn't want me to.

4. ruben

ruben Senior member

Thanks, it's not in front of me, but kinda a whitish silver and dark blue.

5. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

picture of nataku & wife

[​IMG]

6. eazye

eazye Senior member

Breathtaking, wish it was my size. :cloud:

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Dang, you've seen me in person haven't you?! :crackup:

8. eazye

eazye Senior member

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

Dude, it happened to me too, I think you need to have a certain number of posts before it stops doing that. I could be wrong though, and yes it's frustrating.

10. Broder

Broder Well-Known Member

Eton shirts are regarded as high quality shirts here in Sweden, but they aren't really comparable to real quality shirts. I would agree with that Eton shirts are on the same quality level as Brooks Brothers (Eton shirts are just slightly better), haven't handled much Brooks Brothers though.

11. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Thanks all. :thumbs-up:

Called it!

I actually did not know that... I sometimes pick up the older made in USA Saks stuff if it fits, as it's usually fully-canvassed and pretty decent quality. I guess I'll have to pay closer attention to these coats. I've left behind some coats I shouldn't have then...

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Finally took pics of lunch thrift the other day

Loro Piana Cashmere for Nordstrom 46
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dunhill
    [​IMG]
    And two talbott's...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All available-ish

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

13. Jav0n

Jav0n Well-Known Member

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

15. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

As in the "type-of-item-I'm-always-looking-for-and-never-find" category, I spotted in one of our better vintage stores a men's fedora with the full "Lock & Co." logo inside. It was just with many American-made hats and priced similarly - $20. I haven't purchased it yet so - no photo. But I can say it is a fairly simple fedora - doesn't seem as complexly made as my Borsalino fedora, for example - with a dark gray, lightweight-velour fabric, and minimal brim. Reminds me of late '60s - '70s, maybe? Fairly thin black band. Looks totally authentic, anyway - just like the florid branding I always see with Lock hats, with the Jermyn Street addess and curlicues. Actually, are they on both St. James's and Jermyn? As I sometimes do, I'm so stunned to see something I actually pointed out to the owner how low the price is for a hat from such an illustrious establishment.

Now, a few questions: Condition seems excellent, without my studying every detail (yet). There was a (cardboard?) label inside the interior rim that had numbers, including a "4/81"; could that be the date of manufacture? Second - hat had "57" size as well as "7." Normally I wear at least a 7 1/8, and used to have a Borsalino flat cap labeled 57 that was plenty roomy. Is the "7" a mislabel and it's larger? I'm wondering if the hat was made to be sold in the U.S. The lady showed me several other hats that came from the same house - they were American and at least one had a local store name in it. I certainly wouldn't call the hat "roomy" but I think it probably fits well enough.

Since the hat has such a shallow brim, not exactly "classic" though a lot like the hats many young guys seem to be buying today, if I get it I might wear it as sort of a funky thing - not as a "serious" fedora (sort of like a baseball cap). Can't say yet. Maybe some of you guys are in the UK and see these hats a lot but for me, in my Midwestern cityl, its a very special thing to come across one fo these. Anyway, the usual big question: what do think of the price? Isn't this a steal? Thanks!:happy:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.