The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Fairly certain this Saint Andrew's jacket is a suit coat (front pockets are besom, unless flaps are just tucked in), but I think it may possibly work as a sportcoat. Ebay. $40.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NOTE that is NOT me in the coat. That's the seller. [​IMG]

Nice looking jacket. I had it on my watch list. It's the second or third time you've bid on something I've been watching. I guess that means you have good taste. [​IMG]

2. Matt

Matt [email protected]

and i am adding him to my favorite sellers in case he ever wants to part with that shirt

3. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Was at my local consignment store this week and found a beautiful dress shirt in lavender by Tailorbyrd. It's got really nice construction, spread-collar, MOP buttons, double-button neck and double-button collars.

Plus, the nice thing about the consignment store is that I trade in my old clothes and use credit to buy new things. This shirt cost me $14.99 in trade credit [​IMG]

For anyone, like me, who's not familiar with this brand, here's a link...

http://www.tailorbyrd.com/

4. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

Some great items you guys managed to buy.

Just out of curiosity - are there clothes/shoes mostly new or worn?

All the clothes I've mentioned in the thread are in good enough condition that they could have been sitting on the rack in the store.

5. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

"Marked down" doesn't mean a thing whatsoever in TJ Maxx or Marshalls... I've seen the help bring boxes of "new" merchandise to the floors, and imagine my surprise when everything in their crates already had a red "mark down" sticker over the "original" price! It's all psychology... they want you to think you're getting a deal. Actually $5 is a great deal for a thick tie like that - but believe me - their "clearance" racks mean nothing - each item should be considered individually for whatever price is marked on it - please don't be swayed by "mark downs" at TJ Maxx or Marshalls... I'm sure others would agree? Anyone ever work at a TJ Maxx or Marshalls who can confirm this?
    I disagree. I have watched certain items at Marshalls and TJM to wait for them to move through the markdown cycles, saying to myself that if it's still around by the time it is on clearance, it must be fate (or something) and I can then buy it. Items usually come in at certain prices and are marked down on a schedule.

I wouldn't be surprised if they moved around the non-selling clearance stuff sometimes though, to try another market for it before just tossing it out.

6. jml90

jml90 Senior member

"Marked down" doesn't mean a thing whatsoever in TJ Maxx or Marshalls... I've seen the help bring boxes of "new" merchandise to the floors, and imagine my surprise when everything in their crates already had a red "mark down" sticker over the "original" price! It's all psychology... they want you to think you're getting a deal. Actually $5 is a great deal for a thick tie like that - but believe me - their "clearance" racks mean nothing - each item should be considered individually for whatever price is marked on it - please don't be swayed by "mark downs" at TJ Maxx or Marshalls... I'm sure others would agree? Anyone ever work at a TJ Maxx or Marshalls who can confirm this?
    Aren't you Cecil the Cynic

I disagree. I have watched certain items at Marshalls and TJM to wait for them to move through the markdown cycles, saying to myself that if it's still around by the time it is on clearance, it must be fate (or something) and I can then buy it. Items usually come in at certain prices and are marked down on a schedule.

I wouldn't be surprised if they moved around the non-selling clearance stuff sometimes though, to try another market for it before just tossing it out.

I do the same thing I waited and waited on these pair of green dock siders until my mother finally went and she bought off a clearance rack for $10.

7. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior member

Me too!!! I had been eyeing these Burberry ties at a Marshalls that started at $39.99, but I picked one up for $20, and will probably go and get another next week. I have seen some Hugo Boss suits in the TJ Maxx by my house, that are being sold for $350. But we all know about Hugo Boss quality though.

8. Avers

Avers Well-Known Member

Me too!!! I had been eyeing these Burberry ties at a Marshalls that started at $39.99, but I picked one up for $20, and will probably go and get another next week.

I understand you picked up those Burberrys ties just now?

9. Spudbunny

Spudbunny Active Member

I got this Samuelsohn DB suit off Ebay for $15 plus shipping. Full canvas, great drape, the works.

Here's a question that for all I know has been beaten to death over the years: where do you get better deals, ebay or thrift stores?
    [​IMG]

10. abc123

abc123 Senior member

I got this Samuelsohn DB suit off Ebay for $15 plus shipping. Full canvas, great drape, the works.

Here's a question that for all I know has been beaten to death over the years: where do you get better deals, ebay or thrift stores?

Nice suit!

I posted in another thread, but I got a purple label plaid jacket yesterday off of ebay for $20. I am feeling that its too good to be true, but assuming its in decent shape, I will be quite satisfied. I guess I will tentatively call it a steal...(fingers crossed)

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I love Samuelsohn. Good score.

I think you get better deals from thrift; you get more consistent supply from ebay.

With thrift stores it's completely hit and miss. I can go weeks without finding anything in tailored clothing then suddenly a suit and a couple of sportcoats will show up within one trip or a couple of trips. Around here I usually pay $5 and under for sportcoats and $15 and under for suits. Obviously it's better if you're a fairly common size.

On ebay, if you need a suit/sportcoat of a particular size you can almost always do a search and get some hits, but you're likely to pay more. Patience and a little risk taking can get you some steals, but generally you're trading availability for price.

Some people don't like to thrift, which is fine by me because I do. For those people ebay is the way to go. Call it armchair thrifting. Me, I like the process of both.

For everyday polos, khakis, long sleeve sportshirts, ties and such I get almost everything I need from thrift stores. Sweaters in acceptable condition are very difficult to find in thrift stores, at least around here, which likely is also tied to climate.

12. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Thrift stores have better deals, for several reasons. The most obvious is the number of eyes: how many people will notice something in a thrift store vs how many will see even the most poorly written, photographed and categorized listing on ebay. Also note thrift stores, as sellers, are much less likely to know the value of what they are selling or, if they do know, to care.

The disadvantage of thrifting, as noted above, is that inventory on ebay is greater than in any physical store.

13. kabert

kabert Senior member

Picked up a brand-new pair of Incotex super-120s wool slacks, which fit perfectly, for $39 at consignment store "Inga's Once is Not Enough" on MacArthur Blvd. in DC. By the way, they also had 4 or 5 Brioni suits in size 38S. All double-breasted and all looked to be in great condition; I think they were all priced in the $160 or $180 range. One in particular was great -- a classic navy with faint chalk-stripes. Also saw a Kiton shirt in size 15-1/2, a cool Helmut Lang shirt in size Large (w/fantastic MOP buttons), a Belvest silk/wool jacket in size 44R and an Isaia jacket in size 45R. I nearly bought the Isaia but it was a bit too short and didn't have much fabric for lengthening. Also saw a couple of Oxxford blazers - one in red cashmere; one in a gray/blue plaid.

14. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Brooks Bros. glen plaid camel hair sportcoat (black and cream with wine and camel, $4.88)
    And here it is, back from the cleaners:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Alan-

Great find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.