The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

That red oxxford is tits.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Jesus H. Whiz, man. Band of Outsiders. A KVA shirt. How do these things even end up in thrift stores?

Piiiiiiiiiiiiics! :fu:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

3. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

hey guys,

i'm fairly new to thrifting and had some questions
    - I found a bunch of BB, cinch, RL, polo RL shirts today however all of them were way to big for me.
    - when you find items that are too large do you still buy them?
    - for a button shirt too large do you spend the money to get them tailored to fit or just go for the resale instead?

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

The 1993 Buick Century thumps quite well enough, thank you, and I have warning tickets to prove it. Amazing what a little ZZ Top and a 10-inch Bazooka tube will accomplish on the way home from the grocery store...

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Welcome to SF.

Easy to answer - and that answer is no. Tailoring shirts too large on chest or waist is worthwhile, but there is little a tailor can do to alter the collar. Collar too large, I would not get it for myself. If it is a flippable or luxurious item though, I do get it and offer to people here.

6. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ It depends on the shirt. If I found a high end shirt that fits me well in the neck and it's something that I could see myself wearing until the wheels fall off, then I would definitely get it tailored to bring in the body and narrow and shorten the sleeves to the proper length. When I do this, I always bring a suit jacket or sport coat that I had tailored to fit me in order to make sure that the shirt's sleeve length shows just the right amount of cuff. I never felt comfortable wearing a well tailored jacket over a shirt that shows too much cuff.

7. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

I think a pretty good rule is, if it doesn't fit you and isn't amazing (and I wouldn't consider BB, RL or PRL shirts to be amazing [assuming you don't mean RLPL or RLBL]), don't bother.

When you're new to thrifting, there is a tendency to buy everything halfway decent. Do it if you want, but you might quickly end up with a closet full of middling stuff or worse that'll just be more of a pain than anything else. Better to save your time, money and closet space on great stuff that fits you, which you could very well find the next time you hit the racks.

EDIT: What I said is geared toward shirts. I would definitely get minor alterations done on jackets and pants if they're in great shape and mostly fit. Just remember, that $4 shirt isn't such a steal if you have to pay $30 to get it altered. For that price, you may as well find something that fits perfectly on eBay.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

8. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

got thx klobber. Most of the shirts I found today were my size in the neck (15.5) however everything else was way too big. i know sleeves and chest areas can be altered, however I wasnt sure about the shoulders. do you know if shoulders are easy to be altered? what is the rule of thumb when it comes to shoulders being to big?

this is great advice, thanks for that. I will keep that in mind when taking a shirt in. as i asked klobber above, what if the shirt is too large in the shoulders, but neck fits?

I agree, with your tendency comment lol. I did want to purchase half decent pieces because I got caught up in the label and goodwill was offering 50% off on clothing, but I did hold myself back until I brought these questions to you guys here.

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Get off my lawn!
    [​IMG]

I looked at your other post asking about Phoenix tailors. There's nothing good to thirft here :hide:

10. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

If it's too big in the shoulders, don't get it.

It also helps to try a bunch of things on and learn what brands/cuts work best for you. I personally never buy PRL shirts because I always feel like I'm swimming in them. Same goes for BB, unless it's extra slim fit (which I've never found at a thrift).

11. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ It sounds like you're overthinking second-hand shirts. If you think you have to do more than bring in the body and narrow and shorten the sleeves to make the shirt fit me something like this...

[​IMG]
    ...then it's not the shirt for you.
    As for me, I only invest the effort and expense on shirts made by high end English, French, or Italian makers. To be satisfied in the long run with spending about $50 purchasing a second-hand shirt and having it tailored, only do so for shirts that would have originally retailed for $325 or more and are in very lightly used condition with no wear to the collar or cuffs, no discoloration or stains, and fabric that is not worn or weak at the elbows.

Read this: http://putthison.com/tagged/Shirts

12. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

The most I do is dart the back and move the cuff buttons myself to make the sleeves stop at the base of my hand. I've never actually had to shorten the sleeves thanks to this trick—though I wear a 35, so YMMV.

13. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

lol. I take it your from phx? (do you know of any good tailors in the valley?)

14. eazye

eazye Senior member

I actually traded with another member here thinking they were USA made because they were old (same as yours, and I usually check, but had a mental lapse) and they were made in India (I think). Luckly he wasn't pissed (occony, great guy by the way). I think it should say on the tongue (I think).

I can wear anywhere from a 9 to a 11 in AE's, their sizes are all over the place.

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Around there. And nope, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.