1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LBC Demon

LBC Demon Well-Known Member

Just started thrifting recently. My first time e-bragging.

$24 - Allen Edmonds Woodstock

I passed on them the first time I saw them and then kicked myself later that night for not picking them up. Luckily when I went back the next day they were still there.

Does anyone know how to make the frilly things lay flat and not fray upwards?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

$15 - Hickey Freeman 100% Wool made in Italy.

I don't know much about HF. What does sport mean? They are my size but the legs are very wide. If I got the legs slimmed would they look weird?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  2. Beck

Beck Senior member

LOVE THE WOODSTOCKS.
    first pair I ever found was at G-will for $14.99. However they were also unworn. Very cool pair of shoes and I love the color pattern of yours. Very nice !

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uhhh ohhhhh...We got ourselves another one!

That's a interesting mix. I would love me an Italian Greyhound!

4. eazye

eazye Senior member

No two ways around it, it fucking sucks, I haven't been able to sleep, hence why I'm on SF at 2:00am. Thanks all for the kind words fellas. On another note, nice article Pnutpug, although I think my spot just got blown up.......just kidding. It's not like you cant just Google where the thrift stores are in any given city. And Jesus Spoo, 500K a year? :slayer: Also @Randy, that shit made me laugh out loud, I needed it, thanks. :nodding:

5. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

*le sigh*

Thought I'd become rich threatening SF, too. :(

*buys a few Powerball tickets*

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Randy, you are crazy. :lol:

7. catside

catside Senior member

You are a good sport!

Spoo is officially a middle man now. This article is good for him, because his business model depends on increased number of small producers who have limited access, means, time, reputation to access the market efficiently. All he has to do is to convince them he can produce gold, and he certainly does at times, especially for certain brands. He is the only winner. Mainy's business on the other hand may suffer with addition of even one or two flippers in Kansas City area which is a smaller market, relatively speaking. Even if they are not pros, if they buy one or two good stuff he loses money. Some of the better flippers here are relatively new but learned very quick. See DM7s first posts, and I have been here long enough to give you couple more examples. I do not mean to offend anyone. I was just surprised.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Fellow Camera dudes. I need some advice on a vintage 1962 Leica M3 I am looking to pick up for a flip up. I haven't handled one before and could use some pointers. PM me if you can help.

9. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

All good.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

11. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

+1 [​IMG]

Nice job Randy! [​IMG]

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Guys, favor - let's not discuss details or financials please. While I'm extremely proud of what I've created, what's important is that anyone can do it in their own way. I posted it to hopefully inspire someone to get their entrepreneurial spirit up and take doing something they love and make it a success. It's within all of you to do the same. Cool?

13. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

14. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

+1000

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Sorry....I take responsibility for that derail. I already deleted my post, and asked those who quoted it to delete the financial details in the quotes.

1 person likes this.
  16. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

Hm. Never heard of it. Thank you, though.

I have also a real US Army shirt that supposedly belonged to a 'known' person. Anyway to tell?

17. Jowen

Jowen Senior member

It has been maddeningly slow here lately...drag!! I did find this heavy wool canvassed Daks suit, I haven't seen the name come up much, but it seems to be high quality and a quick eBay search showed some success. Available

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Across Chest - 24"
    Shoulder to Cuff - 24"
    Across Shoulders - 19"
    BOC - 31" - Center Vent

Pants
    Waist 19.5"
    Inseam - 28"
    Outseam - 40"

18. suited

suited Senior member

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on the top 10 thrifting cities, from a resale standpoint, of course.

LA
    NYC
    San Francisco
    DC/surrounding
    Chicago
    Atlanta
    San Diego
    Miami

etc.

I questioned putting Miami on there, mostly because of the poor taste in clothing, warm weather limits the diversity of items, although you do have access to the surrounding areas like Fort Laud, Palm Beach, etc., I'm sure there are others I am forgetting.

19. concealed

concealed Senior member

LA
    Dallas
    SF
    NYC
    Chicago
    Boston

in that order

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.