The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Sam,
    I would probably pass on that Burberry label you show. It's kinda old and some of the construction I've seen hasn't been up to snuff. Be on the lookout for the following label:

[​IMG]

Much more recent and fabric quality has gone up. Better resale.

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

The only thing I've ever seen fusing bubbling up on was an old Burberry with the "Burberrys" tag. Their construction was pretty bad back then, too.

3. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Missed out on a pair of JBL's last week for $20--no way to test and they were gone when I returned with an amp an hour later--but made up for that yesterday, I think, with these for $15:

URL=http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1754626/width/350/height/263][​IMG][/URL]:

They are Polk Audio Monitor Series 2, and they sound great. Not as good as my Missions, but far better than the Technics in the billiards room that are now headed to CL. Does anyone know anything about them? If nothing else, it would be nice to know the vintage. I've googled and found nothing. There's no information on them--not even specs--except for a Made-in-USA label on the back of each that has a bar code and number beneath (apparently a serial number, again, google turned up nothing). They are 22 inches tall, 9 inches deep and 10 inches wide.

4. catside

catside Senior member

^ I passed to JBLs last week bc they were 65 bucks each!

5. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

[​IMG]

Thoughts? There's definitely no green in the tie, I do know that. Tie had been delivered May 21.

6. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

So it seems those are an obscure mid-1990s model that get some love
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?38872-Polk-Audio-Monitor-Series-2-floorstanding-1994

I wouldn't say they are the greatest, but for the price you paid AND it's gonna be in the pool room? Perfect! `When you blow them out after playing too much AC/DC, Creed, Misfits, Clash, Tool, Metallica, Toby Keith or whatever your flava is (Wu-Tang? Doc Watson? Glee?), there will be more out there.

I love thrifts and CL for speakers. I've done well upgrading the garbage I had. I think now people are cashing in great hi-fi speakers & components for crappy 8 way home theaters and underappreciating what they already have. OMG you can get great stuff out there people (at least in my budget) could only dream of. I'm probably repeating myself, but I have Adcom components from craigslisters upstairs (the GFA 555, 200 watts per side, if you see one at a thrift BUY IT because audio nuts refer to this all time classic as the "great f-ing amp" and you can probably flip it on CL for $250+ or on eBay for more -- some go as high as $800 -- but who wants to ship that battleship & risk damage?). I did cheap out and get cambridge soundworks newtons to go with the GFA but once these maniac psycho kids leave the nest, we'll upgrade those, ha.

Just a drive-by post to say another reason I enjoy hanging out here. Last week I bought a suit that doesn't fit me, Italian fully canvassed nice stuff. My eBay consignor said "great brand to wear, horrible brand to flip." Then I see it had a busted button. So I posted it on the trading thread, including a pic of the busted button. Four people interested. The guy who ends up with the suit -- after I begged/arm twisted/cajoled him to let go of a PRL "Hand Made" odd jacket in trade that happens to fit down to sleeve length, which I almost always have to get reduced with OTR stuff -- PMs me today and thanks me for coming through for him.

This group a great story. We're economic subversives in some tough times out there. At least that's what it feels like.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

7. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Last year I was wearing what I thought was a black blazer when someone commented that they liked my "navy" jacket. It turns out that I'm partially colour-blind. I had no idea 'til that happened. My grandfather has the same problem: he sees yellows as greens. Your buyer has problems with his brightness/colour settings and/or his eyes.

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I just asked for a picture in better light and I think he did some post-processing of the picture on his computer :facepalm:

[​IMG]

Bah... $10 tie can't afford the neg... I'll just let him send it back.

And a new description of it

9. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I may be blind...but that looks like a tie a U of Michigan grad would wear with pride. Looks gold/maize and navy blue to me.

10. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ Thanks for that! Someone needs to get an acosbysweater SW&D bat signal for these situations. [​IMG]

11. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

99% sure its Attolini

12. catside

catside Senior member

Here is for acosbysweater ( other SW&D heroes should feel free to answer)
    Quote is:

"Call The Phantom. He will hear you anywhere!"

[​IMG]

Here is the call sign:

[​IMG]

13. eazye

eazye Senior member

Wouldn't something like this be more appropriate?
    [​IMG]

14. eazye

eazye Senior member

Also, you know it's getting serious when you bring along a notepad with OTHER peoples measurements to the thrift store. :happy:

15. catside

catside Senior member

Not at all! I am a 43-44 BTW, 9E-9.5D shoes. :devil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.