• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

951Socal has been a part of two of the most mind-boggling SF situations in recent memory.
First, trying to sell a Charvet shirt without providing any information on its size. Now, this. Not criticizing. More power to you, good sir. It's tough a world, buying and selling second hand clothes while in the balmy embrace of a bath salt addiction.

Boom, roasted.

951socal

Reaction score
Wear
Ok, after reading that and the recent jacket discussion does anyone have any doubt that he is just trolling? Come on now

I'm not a troll.
I'm a little...different, as a product of two new age hippieish parents I was always taught the value in re-using and re-purposing various goods.

This leads to using old dress shirts (past usuable) as cleaning cloths, turning thrift tore jackets ($100 in materials for a diy bag for $49.99?!) As material for a usuable art project and various other....let's say unique ideas.

Thank you for the kind words mexicutioner!

The charvet shirt incident stems from the size label visible in one of the pics, nobody caught it and I went back and edited the thread before a mod deleated it and left an old thread.
I'm also horrible at measuring shirts or anything and I'm just a little paranoid since I don't have a formal apperenticeship telling me how to measure stuff (there are a lot of tailors on sf! And they all have their own way of measuring/nobody has given me the consensus of the ideal way)

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I gotta get some new blogs / tumblrs into my rotation. Any recommendations?

I've got a few of the usual suspects that I keep up with on the regular - PutthisOn.com, An Affordable Wardrobe, thesuitroom, etc. But I would really like some suggestions in (but not necessarily limited to) areas that I'm not too familiar with like SW&D. Also, good Anglo / Italian stuff that I might not know about.

Thanks beforehand!
-M-

edit: Not sure if I posted about this or not, but big shout outs to Cotton Dockers and shadesofbeige for some KILLER Sulka and Barba Napoli shirts, respectively. Thrift fits to come after alterations. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hai guise,
I don't want to derail this too much but I'd appreciate your feedback since many of you are ebay pros. Any way, I recently sold a pair of Kirkland dress pants
shog[1].gif
lol and today I got this message:
Dear steveoly32,
Regarding item 330732739368, the description states "You are bidding on a "pair" of Kirkland NWT Signature navy blue dress pants..." which is the reason I bid on the item, however, only one pair of pants, which are very nice by the way, arived today. Please advise.
Thanks
So the dude is literally wanting two pairs of pants for a pair of pants. He even refers to pants as "pair" of pants in his response! Am I grossly underestimating ebays semantics and am I therefore in the wrong for listing a pair of pants and then shipping (1) pair of pants, or can I tell this guy to go ************? How would I list a pair of pants? A pant? WTF.
The kicker, this winning bid was $9.95 with free shipping so after shipping and fees, it's a worthless sale. Should I just say I will refund upon the return of the pants? I'd probably be better off donating them and taking NWT retail deduction.
Thanks,
Steve
Steveoly, what ever happened with the PAIR of pants? Any update?

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys!

I gotta get some new blogs / tumblrs into my rotation.  Any recommendations?

I've got a few of the usual suspects that I keep up with on the regular - PutthisOn.com, An Affordable Wardrobe, thesuitroom, etc.  But I would really like some suggestions in (but not necessarily limited to) areas that I'm not too familiar with like SW&D.  Also, good Anglo / Italian stuff that I might not know about.

Thanks beforehand!
-M-

[COLOR=FF0000]edit:  Not sure if I posted about this or not, but big shout outs to Cotton Dockers and shadesofbeige for some KILLER Sulka and Barba Napoli shirts, respectively.  Thrift fits to come after alterations.  Thanks guys![/COLOR]

You should really check out Die,Workwear! for Italian stuff.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been a slow week for me. I am on day 3 of a 10 day (minimum) juice fast so I haven't had a lot of energy to go out to the thrifts. Lost about 11 pounds as of this morning.

Did however go at lunch.
Picked up 2 belts (Coach, Brooks Bros) both size 44.
also 2 pairs of......
rimshot.gif
.....you guessed it, cufflinks. One is semi basic silver with matching tie bar, the other pair is sparkplugs, for the motor heads in here.
Left behind 5 BB White Long sleeve button down shirts because they had monogrammed sleeve cuffs.
censored.gif

steveoly

Reaction score

Steveoly, what ever happened with the PAIR of pants? Any update?

LOL - I sent him my fairly blunt response but ultimately did state that he could return them and I would refund him less return shipping. I never heard back but he did leave positive feedback, so it worked out in the end. :)
Dear ggamx,

When I read this message I can't help but think that you are kidding, dense or a straight up scam artist. The auction was for a (singular) pair of pants, not multiple pairs of pants. With certain articles and garment, a singular item is referred to as a pair - i.e. pants, trousers, eyeglasses, scissors, etc. If I were selling multiple items, I would have referred to them as "two pairs" or "fifteen pairs" or "nine hundred pairs" - note the pluralization and quantity.

Even in your message to me, you refer to as receiving "one pair of pants" so I am not sure as to the confusion.

With this, I feel that I did describe the auction item correctly and accurately. I am sorry that you misinterpreted the item description. Enjoy the pair of pants. BTW, the Kirkland Made in Italy pants are very nice, and quite the deal for less than $10.

steveoly

Reaction score

Wear
I'm not a troll.
I'm a little...different, as a product of two new age hippieish parents I was always taught the value in re-using and re-purposing various goods.
This leads to using old dress shirts (past usuable) as cleaning cloths, turning thrift tore jackets ($100 in materials for a diy bag for $49.99?!) As material for a usuable art project and various other....let's say unique ideas.
Thank you for the kind words mexicutioner!
The charvet shirt incident stems from the size label visible in one of the pics, nobody caught it and I went back and edited the thread before a mod deleated it and left an old thread.
I'm also horrible at measuring shirts or anything and I'm just a little paranoid since I don't have a formal apperenticeship telling me how to measure stuff (there are a lot of tailors on sf! And they all have their own way of measuring/nobody has given me the consensus of the ideal way)

Not to continue to beat a dead horse, but honestly measuring a shirt is quite straight forward. If I asked my six year old niece to take a measuring tape across certain parts of a shirt lying flat, I bet her measurements would be damn close to mine.

There is aharris's guide to measuring suits and jackets and for the most part I would approach shirt measuring in a similar manner.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/1463/hof-how-to-measure-for-ebay/0_50

Button it, lay it flat and
-take chest measurements pit-to-pit
-take sleeve measurements from shoulder seam to end of sleeve (some prefer middle of the back to seam to end of sleeve)
-take shoulders from seam to seam, you can be specific if it's from the front or back of the shirt.
-take "waist" measurements at a certain button, just specify that at which button i.e. 2nd from the bottom

More or less you are giving the buyer something to compare to say, his favorite shirt at home. But be specific - state "lying flat, buttoned, and pit to pit" for example. Also add in a disclaimer like "approximate" or "guideline". If **** seems way off you most likely have a shirt that was previously altered rather than ****** measuring skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads