1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Hermes lambskin is reserved, picked up a recent Brioni today. n/a
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry for the bad pics, it is getting pinned for a cut 'n shut.[​IMG]
    passed on a brioni orphan with a small hole. and a oscar de la renta s/c. should i go back for the oscar? i think it's a 42R.

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I think you have that bass akwards...leave the Oscar de la Renta and grab the Brioni. Is the hole on a seam? How big is it?

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

+1

OdlR gets no love here.

4. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Moth hole in the middle of the shoulder blade area. and was a 42, so i just couldn't see myself paying to mod a orphan with a hole in it. was a nice jacket though, if somebody wants. i can pick it up and swap. could be a nice drinking jacket for going to bars and clubs. if it fits you.

5. HansderHund

If you're not into the flipping game, which plenty of people here aren't, then it's a shame that it doesn't fit. If you're into flipping, some things can be repaired and sold. Like someone mentioned about the Hermés shirt that was beat up and sold for $80+, it's sometimes surprising what people will buy for a name.

I mostly shop for myself and am disappointed but not totally put off by small defekts like a snag or moth hole. I can understand where you're coming from though, it doesn't fit, it's an orphan and there's damage.

6. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

thanks, i don't really flip stuff. but i see so much, that i might start to pick up some things if the condition is good. somebody will want it.
    Like a recent Zegna sportscoat that i saw today in a size 44R. it was AWESOME. but too big.[​IMG]

7. HansderHund

It's sometimes hard to leave really nice things. I pick things up that I know people on here would want and usually do a cost + shipping deal. Occasionally my radar is off and something that I think will bring a lot of interest doesn't and then I'm stuck with it. However, it's always nice to help others out here. If you help a few people out here, I've found that most are willing to help you out when they find something in your size.

While we're on the subject, if you come across any black tie stuff, shoes or a shirt, in smaller sizes, would you mind picking it up? I'm on the hunt for patent shoes and a tux shirt. :)

8. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

+1 if you have the funds and inclination to do so, buy it and maybe someone here who's a 44R will trade you something in your size for it, or work out a similar deal. It can be much easier to find things in your size when you've got a cross-continent network out there searching.

9. GHo

GHo Senior member

calling you little guys...

coolest T-shirt I've ever seen. Small Vintage Fit Tommy Bahama "Beer Run" T. Not thrift prices, but decently priced at Marshalls.

Available for a "nice" thrifted tie or shirt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Priceless.

11. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

With winter on the way I'm searching for a cardigan. I found this on ebay and it's killing me that it's way too big for me.
    It's a WIllis & Geiger shawl collar cardigan but with a lining. Maybe that makes it a jacket now? P2P it's 26"! At that size I could wear a tweed under it.
    Anyway, maybe someone here's interested. (I have no affiliation with the seller).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/330808857930...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2721wt_1165

[​IMG]

12. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Both a brag and a status report.

Today scored my first-ever Corneliani, a pair of trousers. Also a wool coat by Mackintosh (made in USA, straight from New England) and two what appear to be never tied tartan ties by Edinburgh Woolen Mills of Scotland, one in Royal Stewart, the other a blue pattern I have not before encountered. Out the door for less than $10.

Could take photos, but not the point--most of us see this sort of thing on a fairly regular basis. It is noteworthy because today was the grand opening of the new GW boutique shop, right next door to a regular mainline store where I made these finds. Prices at the boutique start at $9.99. They had nada, unless you like stuff from JAB or American Eagle or Lauren.

I had been worried that the boutique spelled the end of bargains from GW, which has always had fixed pricing at $3 per shirt, $5 per sport coat, $7 for suits, $3 for shoes and $6 or $8 for outer coats, depending on length. My worries multiplied because the impending opening coincided with a long dry spell. Turns out the dry spell and the opening of the boutique was, apparently, mere coincidence.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  13. eazye

eazye Senior member

+1000000000000, I rarely if ever find stuff in my size, by far, the nicest pieces in my closet have come from trades with other members on this forum. That and using ebay money for the really tough to find items, like wingtip boots. :embar: Also, in some cases, world-wide. :slayer:

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

Why are you blowing up my spot, yo?

[​IMG]

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

That is amazing...and is going to sell for an obscene amount. [​IMG]

16. private eyes

private eyes Senior member

really? why ? It looks huge, and I've never heard of the brand..

17. catside

catside Senior member

One of the boutiques here have a women's MacKintosh trench for 34.99. No half off for boutique items. it seems you got yours for a few bucks. So cherish.

18. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Here's the link to the ebay us auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willis-Geig...930?pt=US_CSA_MC_Sweaters&hash=item4d05be954a

That thing is going to go for serious money, btw. W&G anything is like crack, and that's an awesome and relatively rare item from W&G.

It's about my size, too... :cries:

19. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Swung back to the goodwill to pick up the Hermes and Brioni I left behind yesterday. Happened upon another Hermes I must have not noticed, currently unavailable
    [​IMG]

Then found these, brand new for sure, size 10, better pictures to follow, pm me if you're interested...
    [​IMG]

20. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

If you're looking for one, I have a MacKintosh trench (the made in Scotland kind) in my bag of stuff to save for cold weather... I think it was an L, but it's been months since I looked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.