1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tben

tben Senior member

I am digging almost all of those patterns no matter how old. I am particularly fond of the first two SCs.

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

You could put an insole in them to make them fit tighter

1 person likes this.
  3. 330CK

330CK Senior member

True. The cloth on the first two is awesome aswell.

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Try an Insole as well as a slightly thicker sock, see how that does first.

1 person likes this.
  5. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

first time in a thrift store in months (been really busy with work with the refinance boom happening) and i snaked a mint pair of Alden for brooks brothers shell cordovan tassel loafers. Unfortunately they're a bit small @ 9.5D lol also passed on a near new pair of burgundy AE McAllisters in 13ee. can go back if there's any interest.

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I LOL'd at that one, don't worry. ;) I do think that replacing a cloth cord would be a must. My dad replaced the PLUG on the one he has, but left the cord - it never moves so he's okay with that. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for something that looks good and is in good shape... I really like the idea of conversation-piece at the office.
    LOL those Brioni tux shirts always give me a hoot. I've only ever seen one IRL but it sold well, that tail is awesome too. Re the Hermes tie: Okay, um, I've had one of these (the red Faconee H) in my closet for 2 years... what the hell makes it so awesome or rare? Seeing a completed like that makes me think maybe I should just liquidate my Hermes ties... I'm much more into Kitons and Borrellis and other often-found-in-multi-folds nowadays. Speaking of multi-folds, nobody commented on the patterns of the two I thrifted: what say ye, keep or try to move 'em on? Photos spoilered below. Hint hint, nudge, nudge. ;)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Holy cow, that's an old label. goneawol, you find those here? Never seen a stitch of Kiton in the wild though I've heard of it popping up in Cleveland and even Delaware. Then again, RLPL isn't sold here either and I've found several bits of it now and again. I take it you've been pretty active lately... I'm just the opposite! Maybe you're the one I'm going in behind. :devil:

7. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

also a noteworthy pickup at nordstrom rack last week. a pair of AE Daltons in walnut in my size for 99.00

8. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Thanks for the response andro. I'm with you on the B looking weird and the weird stitching on the one. My original thought was they might be pre 80s or something before "roman style" was added or something, but I know very little about brioni labels. These are fully canvassed and have the brioni lining so I assumed they were real. They also have the correct size tag.

9. GHo

GHo Senior member

awesome stuff gents. i'm jelly.

My wife had to travel to Chicago late last week and stopped at a thrift. my phone rings...

"Is Croft and Barrow any good?"
    "NO". silence....
    "how about Turnbury?" silence...
    "NO". more silence.
    "here's a nice shirt. rufus. any good?"
    "NO.... I think you should go look in the womens stuff".

(at least she tried). :embar:

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Time to make her a little thrifting booklet. My wife is learning a lot, just from hearing me talk about things. Yesterday she was practicing saying Ermenegildo Zegna over and over again. lol. I found it on you tube to help her.

11. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I've seen a stitch of Kiton, in suit form, at Marshalls, for a grand. A bit out of my price range. Though I have noticed that the awesome Brioni sportcoat that had been at a Marshalls around the corner for probably at least six months is finally gone. I'm waiting for the $1900 Made in Italy BB suits to get just a little cheaper than the $250 first-sale price, but that probably won't happen.

Does anyone know where Marshalls goods go to die? They must ship them off somewhere when they don't get sold because they certainly stop reducing them after a point.

12. concealed

concealed Senior member

Only thing bad about this thread in the past week to 10 days is how many people it is going to inspire to get out there and hit the thrifts!

13. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Been finding absolutely nothing thrifting in the last week or two but stopped at a TJ Maxx yesterday and found a pair of Corneliani made wool PRL pants for myself:

[​IMG]

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Well you have to consider how many will give up after not finding anything the first few times, or after buying junk they think is good only to be discouraged when they try to sell it.

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

If you've got the cash $1K for a Kiton suit is a deal. If not for you, then for flipping.

16. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Woah, what happened to your name? Trimming down?

Picked up something the other day that maybejustmaybe fits the bill.

Also, passed on a white Tom Ford SC the other day at Holts Last Call, marked down to about $400 but with a thread pull in the back. Around a 40-42L. Bad pass?

17. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

What I've done is replace the old wire with modern insulated ones and then put a cloth sheath over that. So far it's only been smaller leads using shoelaces with the ends cut off. For the larger-diameter power cords, you'd probably have to sew and reverse your own.

1 person likes this.
  18. tben

tben Senior member

They are real, just very old. Possibly 60's.

19. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

There are a couple ways to fix a pull. This is the easiest I've found for myself

1 - Pass a piece of fine and waxed thread through the loop of the pull (you may need to put it on a needle first, if the loop is small).

2 - Insert the needle into the hole that the pull created, or at least get as close as possible to the center point between the two ends of the pull loop.

3 - With the needle halfway through, pass both ends of the thread through the eye of the needle (or add the remaining end, in the same direction, if one is already threaded).

4 - Draw the needle the rest of the way through. Once the hole of the needle is through, use the thread to draw rather than the needle, so that one end doesn't slip back through the fabric.

5 - Once the thread comes up against the loop of the pull, gently draw it through to the back side.

6 - Let go of one end of the thread and draw on the other to take it out of the now reversed pull.

You can reverse step 2 & 3, but the way listed lets you use shorter thread so there is less friction, though that may only matter with certain fabrics. If the fabric has a backing, you'll need to pass the needle back to the front some distance away from the pull that is further away than the pull loop is long. If that's the case, waxing the thread can help make sure that you don't pull the loop even more out the back than it was originally pulled out the front. Go slow and gentle.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  20. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I think I need a video or something...I am totally lost, but very intrigued.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.