The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Nice ties, matty long legs. What was wrong with the Huntsman shirt that you passed on?

Last edited: May 27, 2012

2. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Huntsman was in fine shape. I was in a rush and without looking at it I could tell it was too big for me so I passed. Looking back, probably a mistake.

3. amadar

amadar Senior member

Without even seeing any other pics......I WANT. (Can't offer any info on the label though :puzzled:)

Below is my best Zegna find to date. NWOT Cashmere/Silk (feels like 100% cashmere) "Travel" SC. I've never seen a tailored garment with zippered inner pockets, pretty cool IMO. Super bummed this doesn't fit me. Tentatively unavailable while I figure out what to do with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

It. Is. Ridonkulous.

Would fit you perfectly, btw :devil:

6. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Double post

7. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

No, no, no, and no. This attitude is the root cause of the current sartorial malaise afflicting our country. Just like all good cooks follow a recipe to the smallest teaspoon until they learn the trade and what works, all men seeking to develop a style must adhere to the basics of fabrics, color combinations, tone, proportion and, for the love of all that is holy, propriety. He was at a formal event and he wore those terrible, garish shoes? It would take courage to wear sweat pants and a wife beater to prom, not a suit, dress shirt, tie and those monstrosities.

Nothing about that outfit took balls and it should not be encouraged.

8. grendel

grendel Senior member

I think it's his first foray into MC, so be kind. At least it was a nice suit, even if the fit was a bit off. I too would suggest not mixing the MC and SWD worlds like this, and I don't like dark shirts with suits, but it's a first step. Hopefully he'll get into it and start wearing MC and trading with the rest of us [​IMG]

9. dblb48

dblb48 Well-Known Member

Picked up these RRL Ralph Lauren Selvedge Denim at a consignment shop for $25...they seem to be hardly worn or NWOT. DId I do allright or should I have passed?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. vexco

vexco Senior member

Awesome.

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Bite your tongue! Those shoes are awesome.

The entire outfit, however... can't say the same.

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Did very well. I sold two pairs for 80 or 90 shipped recently, can't remember how much it was but it was well over 25 :nodding:

13. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

You did very poorly. You should have found them in a 30.

But really, that's a good price. They usually go for at least $50 used on eBay.

14. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

haha it's like you're reading my mind.

this isn't peewee soccer, everybody doesn't get a gold star for trying. you either follow the rules, or you look like a high school freshman. if you're going to wear a suit, follow the rules and stick to the basics. unless your name rhymes with Lonye Best,stay in your lane.

none of us are snowflakes.

15. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

What you all are saying to dm is completely irrelevant though. First of all, he's just entering college, he won't be wearing mainly MC for a while. Second, I'm going to assume that while he liked the sneakers, they are also just practical. Who the hell wants to mess up a pair of oxfords (thrifted or not) at a prom surrounded by drunk peers dancing? Trust me, I've worn some of my nicer shoes out to what I know would likely end up being a rowdy night and immediately regretted not just taking the style hit for comfort. Besides, it's not like anyone is going to be looking at his shoes in a dark room full of kids dancing.

Finally, since when is dressing for your high school prom an attempt to develop your style? Although I did laugh at a prom being considered a "formal event". I guess you could consider it that way, but that seems to be getting a bit too pretentious for 17 year olds.

Edit: Also, I am a snowflake :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.