• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not crazy 70's vintage looking but has really cool oversize angled flap pockets.. Has a leather "Gucci" label. Had a neat Hermes-esque chain link pattern print on the inside back where the Gucci label was sewn onto. Made in Scotland by Macintosh - rubberized cotton. Guy I bought it from worked in the fashion industry for years. I bought the infamous Polo cashmere bear sweater from him last year. He purchased the jacket from Neiman Marcus in the late 70's - he thinks 77 or 78. It's at my brother's house currently and he said he can't find a size tag on it so I'll measure it tomorrow. From what I remember it looked to be about a Small-Medium.

:lurk:

I went to six stores today and all I bought was a made in Italy 4-fold tie. Does anyone know who made it?

That looks like a pretty generic MII tag., not sure if you can deduce who made it by that... .

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NOVA doesn't suck for thrifting, it is just a a little bare right now. Usually I do pretty well. In fact, yesterday I snagged a wool/cashmere Zegna suit in perfect condition. Made in Italy grey pinstripe for 12 bucks.
I was just busting you guys' balls a bit. Its pretty much the same as here. Except apparently there was an equal trade made ...Jos A Bank for Britches. Those things are everywhere, like cockroaches. I did pick up a few things, but man it is very difficult to thrift with a massive hangover.

Toscano_adottato, whats up with that SA on Balls Ford? Is that a brand new store? It was really nice inside, like a department store. I think they care a little to much, which was reflected slightly in the pricing. Not way too much, but a little higher than normal.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was just busting you guys' balls a bit. Its pretty much the same as here. Except apparently there was an equal trade made ...Jos A Bank for Britches. Those things are everywhere, like cockroaches. I did pick up a few things, but man it is very difficult to thrift with a massive hangover.

Toscano_adottato, whats up with that SA on Balls Ford? Is that a brand new store? It was really nice inside, like a department store. I think they care a little to much, which was reflected slightly in the pricing. Not way too much, but a little higher than normal.

Nah it's been around go quite some time... They just really take good care of it. I've had some pretty great hauls from that location. Price is actually pretty typical for the stores in the area, and suits are a bit less than at the goodwills in the area. You've got to remember, this is a pretty high cost area. There are definitely some smaller non-gw/sa shops that are way cheaper, though the quality tends to be less great.

Oh, and I got some **** yesterday that might make you eat those "nova sucks" words. :D

Deets later, have errands to run.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Hit up a store I'd never been to yesterday, always fun. Couple of middling items for eBay, and this thing, for which I humbly request the help of

In determining realness v. fakeosity, as well as era.

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
I miss the days when my Hugo Boss used to go for $70-$150, now my Zegnas don't even go for that much. That was just last year, folks.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Dude, I love it ... you must poast pics, POST HASTE!.
Action shots of the sneakers as well.
inlove.gif

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
^^ I hear ya. Amazing how a mere 6-7 months can affect something. My used Boss suits averaged about $110 each. Now I'm lucky to get $40 unless it's super recent and mint.

Not sure what happen, in my part of the country I don't see the big stuff so often and I used to do well with the middle and lower end stuff. Last year around this time I sold a Hugo boss (42R) navy blazer for $177 with over 30 watchers, last week I found the same model in 38R and I couldn't even get $80 for it, grrrrr.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ I hear ya. Amazing how a mere 6-7 months can affect something. My used Boss suits averaged about $110 each. Now I'm lucky to get $40 unless it's super recent and mint.

Lately I feel like I could list a $20 bill and would happy to get $10 for it. Seasonality or a dip in the 'market'?

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket fits really good, though I think the jacket, the sleeves, and the pants all need to be shortened (order of importance: pants>sleeves>jacket)
And for it to work with those sweet sneakers(they're real cool) I think the pants could be tapered (a little) aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads