1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eazye

eazye Senior member

Dapperbastard and the Dishonorably Discharged Salvation Army.

2. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

@ODGuy: That Hermes is GREAT!

3. pneumo

pneumo Active Member

found these shoes...anybody know the material? I'm assuming lizardskin or alligator maybe?
    Any thoughts on the quality or geniune-ness? Brand is Cole Haan...made in Italy. They were only $8 so not a huge loss if they are crap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Randy

Randy Senior member

(•‿•)

5. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

I think Trickers uses numbers for width. It probably comes down to if Wise Brothers is a US or UK store.

I've seen a couple of suits with that done. I could see even an average joe not wanting his name on a donated suit. Sometimes *all* of the tags are torn out, which makes no sense to me.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  6. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I see this too. I wonder if it's someone who's taking their "charity" to an extreme: if someone in need is buying a shirt at GW it shouldn't really matter who made it because it's the need that's being met by the garment (and not the maker).

On a similar note, I got reamed out by one of my wife's friends for flipping because I was depriving people of the opportunity to own what I was taking. She seemed to think that only needy people should shop there and that I was gaming/abusing the system. I did point out that, for something like jackets, I was only buying something like 1 in 500 jackets that I handled and that there were plenty of jackets still to go around.

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I would rebuttal with the fact that you support second hand stores and the purpose they bring outside of sales. They are a donation business that helps people outside of purchasing cheap clothes. And with you purchasing their goods, you are helping a deeper cause.

8. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

^
    Agreed. In my area people with disabilities and new immigrants work there so by contributing to turnover, this creates demand met by employment.

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

They are job providers first, cheap clothing store second. By patronizing their stores, you are helping them accomplish their most important goal, at no detriment to poor people.

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Cheap clothing store is a distant 3rd behind the other work they do with the money they raise from sales.

11. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I've also seen this from retailers. I suspect that some people want to do it to prevent flipping, but I'm not too sure

This thread comes back to this debate every once in awhile, though it's admittedly been awhile. It usually goes back and forth about the morality of buying/flipping from charity shops. In the end, someone will post an article that talks about thrift stores getting rid of huge amounts of clothing via recylcers as it won't sell in time. Ultimately, no one here feels bad enough to stop what they're doing.

One of the big differences is that the stores here aren't based necessarily around employing people or providing job skills (though many foreigners work in them). Rather, they're a means to fund ongoing projects and many people shop there, not only those in need.

I found two things today, one being a tie that has the Styrian crest on it which I'll use for traditional outings.

The other I recognized before I even got to it due to the lining:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not NWT as it has a small spot that I'm sure will come clean. Side vents, linen/cotton, but it's sort of a strange pattern and color. I could see wearing it with brown or possibly grey, but it's not very formal. It's too close in color to most denim, so that would look ridiculous. Label looks so familiar, but I can't seem to place it :confused:

Finally, could someone with Chester Barrie knowledge help me out with this one from yesterday? It seems to be of very nice quality, but not sure how this ranks as far as CB stuff goes. I would take it over to the label ID thread, but I don't really need to ID it :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

NICE!! If someone finds one in a 14.5... hit me up.

13. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Some interesting pick ups from yesterday, available
    Had been looking for a pair of these all summer, finally found some. PM me for measurements.

J.Crew Made in India patchwork madras pants. Tag size 34 x 30
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These were an interesting find. Don't normally pick up suspenders but these were mixed in with the ties. Sure enough they are from the Andover Shop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Picked up some nice fall items today.

Stetson gray tweed hat, size 7, available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filson original green wool packer hat, size XL (~23 in internal circumference), available (enjoy, Randy!).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful Brooks Brothers tweed. Very hard to get the true color of a tweed with the iPhone. Very tasteful greenish twinge. Not available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grabbed a nice pair of heavy twill Bills Khakis to top it off. Brooks Brothers tweed and Bills Khakis will be going to my father who though diet and exercise just lost a ton of weight and is lacking in clothes that fit. Perfect fall look for him.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  15. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Thrifting really isn't my thing, mostly because I know of no where in Dallas where such things can be done effectively. However, on my way through to work today (Yay! 80+ hour, 7 day work weeks!) I ran across a garage sale advertising vintage clothes and picked up these:

Tan Herringbone:
    [​IMG]

FU POW:
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

16. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

MKT, you are in a prime position for thrifting, my friend -- you just need The List.

Today: Firsts!

Life After Denim shirt. Size 1 (a slim medium?), grey, light, poplin-ish, a Jil Sander-ish collar, nice cut, but cheap buttons I'll have to switch out with some obnoxious Brionis. :) have no idea what this was doing in my town.

JCrew 'broken in' T-shirt. Not really a grail, but nice, and some much needed direction for my lacking T-shirt game.

17. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Also Fallout 4: New Vegas with FOUR EXPANSION QUEST THINGIES!

Goodbye, the next 100 hours...

18. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

What makes for a prime position for thrifting? Also, what is The List?

19. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Well, Nieman Marcus is headquartered in Dallas; that alone makes for some reliable finds. As for the rest, I'm not so sure, but Dallas (and surrounding cities) is undeniably where it's at in terms of thrifting -- especially if you're into the MC brands.

You might contact csoukolis (who has since moved back to CA) and ask for a list of his old haunts. And while you're at it, pls forward that list to me...I might make the drive one day. :D

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  20. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

^That was a short 100 hours

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.