The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattR

MattR Senior member

Yup. There's this odd sense that, because we have rich counties, that there is a corresponding increase in decent clothing. And it really couldn't be further from the truth. Actually, I've always wondered whether the Richmond or Hampton Roads areas are better.

Last edited: May 26, 2012

2. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Don't want to be a pre-owned clothes hater, but... isn't the point of raw denim to get it new and work it in?

Still a nice pair of jeans though, and a great thrift find.

3. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

NOVA doesn't suck for thrifting, it is just a a little bare right now. Usually I do pretty well. In fact, yesterday I snagged a wool/cashmere Zegna suit in perfect condition. Made in Italy grey pinstripe for 12 bucks.

4. ocooney

ocooney Senior member

Haven't had a chance to hit the thrifts hard until yesterday when the office closed early.
    Here's a few things I picked up and some ties from over the past week:

AE Bristol, my size:
    [​IMG]

2xBB Luxury 16x33, 1x 16x34. Available
    [​IMG]

Zegna. Tagged 36. Inseam about 31. Available.
    [​IMG]

Charvet, 5x Stefano Ricci, Zegna and Altea. Ricci available
    [​IMG]

Chester Barrie 100% Camel Hair. Approx 21.75" P2P, 18" Shoulders. No size marked. Available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got all excited about this NWT Canali for Barneys tagged 58L (EU). Then saw that the pants were tagged 52 and have a few holes at the bottom of one leg. If you can make a 38" waist and a 31" inseam work, then this would be perfect. Available. Let me know if you want more pics
    [​IMG]

O

5. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

I see this guy all the time....he basically clears the racks, then goes to a quiet area of the store and sifts through everything. I pretty much want to light him on fire.

6. eazye

eazye Senior member

I see a couple guys on a regular basis, usually with carts piled high with anything with a label. Yea, it's frustrating. Of course, I occasionally have a cart with a bunch of shit in it, however, you'll see me retire to a spot with a mirror to see if everything fits me. :D I also ALWAYS see this Asian dude with a face mask and gloves with about a hundred pairs of jeans in his cart. Like, is the denim market that hot that dude can make money on a pair of 20 year old acid washed Jordaches?

7. eazye

eazye Senior member

P.S, anitrabbit, if you ever want to go thrifting hit me up! I usually go alone. :violin: Didn't even realize there were other regular posters on here in the greater Chicago area.

8. catside

catside Senior member

+1 and that lighter makes me sorry I stopped smoking.

While I refrained myself from joking about that prom due to generational gap, I suspect you can freely do so. How come you guys letting him go scath free with this is a wonder to me! :)

9. tben

tben Senior member

I thought he was like 19 and this was his first year in college?

10. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

sucks on the Sidi shoes... there's a lot of very good fake dunhill lighters from the far east, a real one should have a very definite "ping" when you open it...

11. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

camera probs so no pics...

AE park lane in great condition... almost left them since they were 8D... available though

picked up a lubiam sport coat and a bb cashmere sport coat for me... a dunhill tie... er... dooney purse for the wife a few days ago, checkout girl was not amused... guess she missed it... lol

12. eazye

eazye Senior member

Just picked up a Vineyard Vines snail pattern tie.

13. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Lot of interesting things were posted in the past couple of days!

I had the day off yesterday, so I decided to go to Vienna. The Dalai Lama was here this week. Anyway, some of the stores had insane pricing - I honestly thought it had to be a joke. Most of the clothes were in fine condition and I had to pass on a lot of things due to the price. I don't know how they do it, but almost every single item of quality or name had an "appropriate" price. I found bespoke shirts from small Italian makers: €20-25/piece. Suits? They had a number of makers that went from €60-200. I even found pants from Gap and Banana Republic (we don't have either) for €25! I did find a number (well over 100 in total) tuxedos throughout the day. I am not sure if an orchestra/theater donated them or what. Some weren't great but many were quality and from local Viennese shops. Some were mohair. Anyway, I actually bought a tuxedo earlier in the week so I passed on them.

Things I passed: Etro tie (light damage), PRL double breasted blazer by Corneliani, Burberry trench and a number of shirts

One interesting item that I found was a VanHeusen shirt. I had never actually seen one, but I checked it online to see if it was the same. It was, but with something that I thought was weird: a royal warrant. Was VanHeusen a good brand at one time??

Things I found:

Ties (not available)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hitl trousers with fabric by Vitale Barberis Canonico (not available). I know Hitl, but I don't know anything about Barberis? Well made and nice

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Porta di Mare shirt (not available)

[​IMG]

Zegna Sport short sleeved polo, size M (AVAILABLE) Colors look washed out in the photo, in person it looks great

[​IMG]

Emenegildo Zegna short sleeved button down, mint Size 40, 15 3/4 (Available)

[​IMG]

I probably should have left this, but it was kind of neat. Yves Saint Laurent long sleeved shirt. size M 39/40, linen/cotton 55/45
    [​IMG]

Josephe Homme cord jacket (not available)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trend by Corneliani cotton jacket. I know it's Trend and not mainline, but I liked the patch pockets and it wasn't marked with a price. After I brought it up there, the woman said "Ahh, Corneliani, €30" I don't know why, but I just said "yeah, that's fine." So, now I own it and it's nowhere near my size. It's an EU size 50R and AVAILABLE. Obviously that works higher in USD, but I thought I'd throw a picture up in case someone was hunting for a nice summer jacket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Women's Seven for all Mankind Jeans

[​IMG]

Women's Vineyard Vine short sleeved polo, size L (AVAILABLE)

[​IMG]

14. amadar

amadar Senior member

^^^^ I found a Van Heusen Royal Warrant shirt a few months ago (I think I posted the tag in this thread as well).....anyways, I left it, since it was the same crap quality as all other VH shirts I've ever come across.

15. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Tempted to do a thrift fit pic...

Couldn't find the appropriate garb so here's what I'm wearing (I know it's a horrible fashion faux pas):
    Fallan & Harvey Bespoke Suit (Charcoal pinstripe)
    Corneliani Shirt (Dark blue)
    Stefano Ricci Tie (purple paisley)
    Lanvin High Tops (Patent leather blue, and silver mesh)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.