1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Picked up a pair of pristine MMM grey trou today. Size 42(?) with the 4 circled on the label. I don't know what it means but you've got to be one skinny motherfkr to fit in these. I'd swear these were kids pants if I didn't know better.

2. runic

runic Member

They are women's pants. Lines 10 & 14 are menswear.

Shouldn't have any problems selling those: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160885579749

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  3. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Nice! Never driven one but would love to try one.

A couple of things from today...

Ugly Z Zegna suit for eBay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I picked this up thinking someone may want to make a trade. It's not a Barbour, but it is made in England by Henri Lloyd. Size L. I think the flash made the purple hue, I don't think it's actually on the jacket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can someone help me with this one? I've passed on a number of "Chester Barrie made for _______" pieces, but I grabbed this one. It's clearly RTW as there is no name in it, but it seems to be fully canvassed, made in England and with handsewn buttonholes. I'm interested in trading this one as well. Dual vents, EU 54 (I think).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Something for myself. The brand is nothing special but I liked the color/pattern. The leather buttons show no wear and I loved the chocolate suede elbow patches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

Picked up some stuff last night:

Issey Miyake Metallic Blazer
    Etro Corduroy Suit
    Chester Barrie Bright Red Cashmere Blazer
    Velvet Gucci Blazer
    Raf Simons grey suit
    Comme Des Garcons Shirt

I've got a ton of backlog to brag about (mostly from that car load that I posted), but haven't had the time to take pictures of 350+ items.

5. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

got these two brooks brothers jackets:

The first is available (sadly doesn't fit) 44R tweed, leather patches. leather under collar. working cuff buttons, throat latch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bb made in italy NA

[​IMG]

6. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Tell me more about this velvet Gucci. Is it a shawl collar smoking jacket?

7. tben

tben Senior member

8. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

+1. I gotta get my post in so it doesn't get completely blown outta the water. :)

All the good fortune in this thread made me decide to go out again to the one place I'd found anything so far (very nice RLPL grey pants). And I had luck! Finally something I'd come close to calling a 'haul'.

First, not really thrifted, but my dad gave me this Charvet tie he doesn't wear anymore that his cat had... had a "reversal of fortune" on (to use Major League Eating lingo). Got it back from the dry cleaners today, looks like new. So in my book it cost me the dry cleaning costs, essentially thrift prices. :) Not available, since it was a gift.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then three ties, PRL, RLPL, and HF. I was a bit uncertain on whether to pick up the HF, what's the general wisdom of all you thrifting veterans? I did a quick read on my phone of some SF threads about them and went looking for completed eBay auctions, the consensus seems to be that they're at least decent quality yeah? I didn't have a brown tie anyways, so worst case I keep it. I absolutely adore the two RL (especially the PRL) ties, so while all 3 are available those 2 will be tougher to pry outta my hands.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then two pairs of like-new 32 Zanellas (one pair olive, one pair brown). Seriously look unworn, I'd call it NWOT. The olive pair has one busted stitch on one cuff, but it'd be a super easy fix and is essentially unnoticeable. Both available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The stitch on the olive pair
    [​IMG]

And lastly a pair of dark brown Zegna cords. Another (two) favor(s) to ask of those more experienced than I. (1) Since the tag has a drop on it are these orphaned from a suit? Nothing matched em in the store. (2) Is there a size, I assume European, on the tag and if so can you translate it into US size? They fit like 38, I'm all but certain. Available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you say guys? Ok for a newbie to thrifting? (basically a month in)

EDIT - Only thing of note I left was a nice looking HF checked shirt. Collar was way too yellowed, no thanks.

9. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Y'all have been killin' it latetly! I just returned from a week-long school camping trip with 80 6th graders, and all I want to do is sleep. But, I had to hit a couple of stores first!

A few things for me!

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is the Lavin you're looking for . . .
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. darkmatter7

Not shawl collar, notch lapel, don't recall if two or three button, nwt - nwot (the string from tag is still there, so are the buttons in the pocket), vintage (10-15 years), zegna made, don't know if Tom Ford designed, probably 40-42R

11. workthatwedo

workthatwedo Senior member

Very generous of you, but I was too late to the party.

12. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Also picked up this awesome, Made in England (Vintage?) Brooks Brothers Toggle Coat. $$$$$ Need to get some pics, but anyone help out with an age for this label?

[​IMG]

13. darkmatter7

I'll race you with a full-car-haul [​IMG]

... That civic was not my car....

14. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

I'm not sure on the age, but I just sold this one via Typhoid Jones' Etsy shop! I'm sure he could tell you more.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

16. darkmatter7

[​IMG]

g37s coupe, mt (not thrifted)

17. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Not my picture, but one of these :slayer: Stolen, not thrifted.

[​IMG]

18. darkmatter7

Eh, what's the difference... half of my hauls are stolen off the back of Neiman Marcus trucks anyways [​IMG]

19. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I've got a 2002 trans am, all stock, with 13k original miles as well. Car is pristine. Worth about 5k more than I paid for it four years ago too, so that's always nice. Had a 02 camaro, 19k miles, all stock. Sold it and rolled that money into this vette. Speaking of.. it's been too long since I bought a new car :hide:

20. darkmatter7

Mainy needs to get in on this conversation... he's got some sweet rides.... [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.