• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Could use some quick in-store help guys. Found a PRL made in Italy 3/2 double vent sport coat with ticket pocket in a nice 100% silk tweed (tan and olive). Does this fabric naturally have a bunch of, for lack of a better term, pills/pulls in the fabric? Not like normal pills from wear, this seems more like texture in the fabric. Just wanted to make sure before I copped it. It'll. Available to you guys first of course size says 41 L.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could use some quick in-store help guys. Found a PRL made in Italy 3/2 double vent sport coat with ticket pocket in a nice 100% silk tweed (tan and olive). Does this fabric naturally have a bunch of, for lack of a better term, pills/pulls in the fabric? Not like normal pills from wear, this seems more like texture in the fabric. Just wanted to make sure before I copped it. It'll. Available to you guys first of course size says 41 L.

If it's a loose weave it can look like that, yes.

Hoofit

Reaction score
^^^ I think I sold this same jacket (different size) a couple of months ago. Tan with olive overcheck? The fabric is supposed to be like that. Feels kind of like linen and has natural pills/pulls.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, many of the silk knits I have come across have the same think going on. It's all part of the fabric.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This wasn't a thrift find, but I thought I'd share because it doesn't fit me. It's 100% wool and in pristine condition, the tag says it's a 40R, but I'll need to get exact measurements. I'm fairly certain it's a Corneliani label for PRL (made in Italy).

That's very nice. I'd be interested in measurements.

46n2

Reaction score
As a quick example on pricing comparisons.

I am in the middle of a transaction with a regular located in Indonesia. I always use USPS Priority to ship cameras to him. This time he has requested faster delivery service, and asked me to quote him UPS and FEDEX prices well.

For 21 Cameras in (2) 20 lb boxes, these are the rates I found.

UPS $800-900 (2-3 Day)
FEDEX $700-$800 (2-3 Day)
USPS GXG $450 (2-3 Day)
USPS Express $260 (3-5 Day)
USPS Priority $200 (6-10 Days)

He backed off and chose the Priority as usual, can't say I blame him.

What's USPS GXG ? A big jump up from Express

amadar

Reaction score

If it's a loose weave it can look like that, yes. 

^^^ I think I sold this same jacket (different size) a couple of months ago. Tan with olive overcheck? The fabric is supposed to be like that. Feels kind of like linen and has natural pills/pulls.

Yes, many of the silk knits I have come across have the same think going on. It's all part of the fabric.

I have heard (and use) the term "slubby silk" to refer to this. Definitely a natural characteristic of loosely woven silk and not a flaw.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Caruso overcoat is SICK. Amazing find.

RE: shippinginternationally, I probably ship at least 1/4 of everything I sell internationally. i just ship First Class international, unless it's 150~$ or more, then I typically won't unless they will pay for Priority or EMS. FWIW, I've shipped many a pair of $200 shoes to Japan first class international and had no problems. You just have to be aware that if the buyer decides to be dishonest, you are screwed since there is no tracking. I've been screwed once in 3 years, for 40 bucks I think. Most of my international buyers are better / more patient / more understanding than my US ones. Just check out their feedback / bidding history carefully, most people are honest though.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am getting about 25" pit to pit and 39" long. The cuffs are 6 3/4" at the wrist. I'm having trouble with the sleeves and shoulders though as there is no real seam. Any ideas on how to measure that?

Try like a shirt and measure from the middle of the collar to the cuff

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. Taking pics now of what I came home with, will post them up in a bit.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Had only one good find today. NWT. MOP buttons. Wool/Silk. 150's Aqualite fabric. Eu 54 R. Available.

Had a bit of a sour side to it too. Hope a re-weaver can take care of it.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
...... then....
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads