The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Does anyone have experience with BB tweed? I saw a jacket yesterday in great condition but I didn't want to pull the trigger if it won't sell on the Bay or on here.

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

^^^ I have trouble moving Harris Tweed, even when it has another good label (i.e. Orvis, etc) on the other side...let alone non-Harris Tweed. Only non-Harris tweed I've had any real luck flipping was that 3pc Polo Canada suit. I've flipped/traded a couple BB and Saks tweed jackets but I think it's dicey at best. Now if it were NWT you'd be in business. Just my opinion. Crying shame because there's some really great tweeds out there that look and feel great but just not really...er...appreciated

On to another topic. I found a fantastic blazer that's labeled "Mongolian Cashmere." No maker. Unless Mongolian Cashmere is the maker? Didn't buy, thinking about going back. Fits me perfectly. What I'd like input on:

1) Shoulders are roped. Do you guys skip those 100% of the time? I have avoided it up to now -- assuming it's a sign of a too-elderly garment is out of style -- but reading SF opinions elsewhere I think I maybe have to open my mind a bit and give it a try.

2) WTF is Mongolian Cashmere? Googling around, made from goats and not sheep?

Last edited: May 23, 2012

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I generally get about $45-$50 for tweed SCs (mostly Harris), $60 for suits, and $75-100 for 3 pc suits. I have been limiting my tweed listings lately because of the weather. It may do better in the fall, if you have the space to hold onto it until then.

4. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

I'd be interested in Harris tweed at the right price... 43/44L please...

might want to try the salesforum over at xmarksthescot.com if you have other Harris tweeds to get rid of too

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

As far as I know Cashmere is usually made from belly fur of the cashmere goat. They are mostly found in Mongolia. Most cashmere I have found doesn't mention Mongolia, probably because that it a given.

6. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Thanks for the responses. Good point about the timing. I did not see a Harris tag on the interior of the jacket, so I am assuming it is not Harris tweed. I thought that maybe the BB name would make it an easier flip. I will pass as it is not my size and I don't really want to hold it for 4 months.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

PMed

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Sold this 3 weeks ago. Would have done better if I had waited til cooler weather, but I am out of space.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170831114243

9. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Today I found a very curious Isaia half lined, peak lapel summer stripe jacket. Double vented. Its seriously nice.
    Its too big for me, is a 56L-which means it fits like a US 44L. I also has functional button holes, and but the sleeves look like they can be altered.
    I also found a NWT Zegna tie.

10. catside

catside Senior member

11. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

^^

I've never had a problem flipping HT. It won't make you rich, but it moves, in my experience, pretty reliably for $25 and up, depending on maker--even Stafford sells. Try AAAC, especially 3/2 sacks and especially anything by BB, Orvis or J. Press.

12. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Does anyone sell their finds (besides the big man Spoo) internationally on Ebay ? Im nervous to open bidding up outside of USA for fear of getting burned by scammers. Any fellas have some tips? I.E. where not to sell to and what shipping to use ? If this has been covered before please accept my apologies [​IMG]

13. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm heading back over there in a bit.

I left behind those particular shirts (z couture and regular, one of the pinks, one of the zanellas) because they all had various stains on them. You can actually see some of the stain in the picture of the tag on the Zegna. It's not exactly collar yellowing, so hopefully the famous "process" will work on em.

14. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

I've sold several items to Japan, Australia and Russia over ebay. Never had any problems shipping USPS Express but recommend Priority if the buyer is willing to pay the extra to get the tracking and insurance service.

15. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

now how come everyone finds moce stuff in my size except me... ? well ok thats not strictly true I guess... have found a canali, hf, and polo...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.