• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
Not a bad weekend of thrifting for me...WAIT A MINUTE, IT WAS AN AMAZING WEEKEND
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
. I guess compared to some of the other stuff that's been posted lately none of this will appear that great (a NWT Prada suit that was posted like it was no big deal...seriously??? that's a grail find), but some of this stuff is very rare for my area.

Polos:
Top row left to right: Tori Richard monkey polo, Polo RL Nantucket, Vtg Polo RL for a former Lo-Life, John Varvatos USA, Peter Millar
Bottom row left to right: Zegna, Zegna sport, vintage wash Lacoste, Brooks slim fit

Button ups: Brioni sport, Armani jeans, Burberry, Dunhill

Crazy ass Gucci shirt, anyone know how old this is?

Nettleton shoes in amazing condition. Anyone know how to tell what these are made of? Lizard skin, gator, etc?

Hickey Freeman Navy SC, single vent, size 42R

Paul Smith Unstructured Cotton SC, unvented. Huge shell buttons on this

Hickey Freeman SC or suit jacket, probably a suit orphan

Kilgour, French & Stanbury SC, side vented. Possibly cashmere blend

AND NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

RLPL Dinner Jacket size 42. I'm guessing that this is not an orphan right? Unfortunately, it some small splatter stains that I'm going to have to try to remove.

Turnbull & Asser by Chester Barrie, size 39. This thing is pretty sick, and in mint condition.

Gucci suit
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
size 42, unavailable at the moment. Best $6 I've ever spent. Spoo, I would appreciate your knowledge here. Any idea when this is from and what its retail value would have been?

Last edited:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, majorly catching up... some awesome finds lately, I've PM'd a couple of you!

Just a few thoughts:

1) Bills - heck yes, the M3 fit ones are rare. In my experience Bills can be streaky - but they tend to pop up now and again if you're in the right areas where they're sold / worn. Bills and Zanellas are like the Dockers of men's clothing stores, sort of, if that makes sense. There is an awesome thread somewhere on AAAC that, I believe, Steve Smith posted "quizzing" people on Bills-spotting-skills and the posters in that thread offered up some very good advice. There really is no one thing to look for, just a variety. One thing to keep in mind is that Bills will never have vertical stitching on their belt loops, and their belt loops are attached somewhat differently than a lot of other makers do. Yes, a lot of their pants are somewhat heavier - but they do also make a full run of other stuff. I have some very light chamois cloth ones that I like quite a bit in the summer, and their cottin poplins are great too. Don't limit your search to the standard khaki/british khaki Original Twills, though those ARE the most prevalent finds. There are seersuckers, reds, blue, brown, green canvas-type pants, moleskins, wool pants, jeans, shorts, and don't forget the usual models in the Olive and Mushroom colors. All in all, if you pay enough attention and spot enough Bills, you will be able to spot them just walking down the rack. It took me a LONG time to get to that point, though. Other things to note with Bills: be sure you check every pocket corner for flaws. It's semi-common to see a back pocket with a rip, or a bottom-of-a-front-pocket with a rip, particularly since Bills typically feature an on-seam pocket that adds stress to the pocket -end-bar-tacks if the wearer tries to access the pockets, while, say, driving. I'm guilty of this myself. :embar:

Finally, look out for the Bullard Field Pants. They are motherf-ing iron. If you arrange them right, they will stand up ON THEIR OWN. I have never found any in a thrift (mine were a lucky Ebay grab) but they're essentially the top line Bill's makes in khakis.

2) Lubiam - meh. I feel like, well, there's better stuff out there. I think it's the Lubiam 1911 line that's maybe worth grabbing? But it's been quite awhile since I looked at it so that could have just been a diffusion line, I don't remember.

3) Not answering questions - whether here or elsewhere - is at your own peril. Quite some time back, I answered an interminable round of questions from someone about three different suits. Thing is, he ended up buying two of them, shipped to Australia, at an arguably premium price. That paid most of our rent that month. I realize that's uncommon... but still. Also, as a buyer, I would feel remiss if I didn't ensure things were to my liking - or at least that I was adequately informed. I hate those question sessions too... but when I'm a buyer I want to know what I'm getting. This is particularly true when things shrink or fit oddly - exhibit A: XL or XXL RLPL polos are almost never what you would think of as "XL" or "XXL" - if I got one without measurements based on the size tag the fool would be me.

I do agree outsole measurements are next to useless, though, and I am quite amused by Steve's way to solve it. :) That said, as someone who really needs an E width, sometimes an outsole measurement gives me a hint as to whether it fits narrow or wide. No more than a hint, but still.

blech

Reaction score
Not a bad weekend of thrifting for me...WAIT A MINUTE, IT WAS AN AMAZING WEEKEND
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
. I guess compared to some of the other stuff that's been posted lately none of this will appear that great (a NWT Prada suit that was posted like it was no big deal...seriously??? that's a grail find), but some of this stuff is very rare for my area.

Polos:
Top row left to right: Tori Richard monkey polo, Polo RL Nantucket, Vtg Polo RL for a former Lo-Life, John Varvatos USA, Peter Millar
Bottom row left to right: Zegna, Zegna sport, vintage wash Lacoste, Brooks slim fit

Nettleton shoes in amazing condition. Anyone know how to tell what these are made of? Lizard skin, gator, etc?

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

RLPL Dinner Jacket size 42. I'm guessing that this is not an orphan right? Unfortunately, it some small splatter stains that I'm going to have to try to remove.

Turnbull & Asser by Chester Barrie, size 39. This thing is pretty sick, and in mint condition.

Gucci suit
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
size 42, unavailable at the moment. Best $6 I've ever spent. Spoo, I would appreciate your knowledge here. Any idea when this is from and what its retail value would have been?
That T&A/Chester Barrie Blazer...
nod[1].gif

..available? measurements?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

but when I'm a buyer I want to know what I'm getting. This is particularly true when things shrink or fit oddly - exhibit A: XL or XXL RLPL polos are almost never what you would think of as "XL" or "XXL" - if I got one without measurements based on the size tag the fool would be me.

This. Especially if it's a streetwear-ish brand or made anywhere in reach of an Asian country or sold predominately to in-shape Frenchmen.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
That T&A/Chester Barrie Blazer...
nod%5B1%5D.gif

..available? measurements?
Its available.

Chest: 21.5"
Shoulders: 18.75"
Length: 30.25"
Sleeve: 25"

I forgot to mention that the same owner also donated a black double breasted blazer by Zegna. It was about the same age as the T&A, and they wanted $20 so I passed. However, the quality and condition was pretty much right in line with the T&A. If anyone wants me to try to pick it up for them, I can probably get it for $50 shipped (the store is a bit of a drive away).

DeadBoy

Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Damn! i just left the house, i'll post it later. But yes it is fully canvassed

Made in Canada and fully canvassed makes me automatically think Samuelsohn, though those lapels look a tad narrower than the Samuelsohn and Samuelsohn-made stuff I've seen. Have you checked the manufacturers' tag thread?

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

.  I guess compared to some of the other stuff that's been posted lately none of this will appear that great (a NWT Prada suit that was posted like it was no big deal...seriously??? that's a grail find), but some of this stuff is very rare for my area.

Polos:

Button ups:  Brioni sport, Armani jeans, Burberry, Dunhill

Nettleton shoes in amazing condition.  Anyone know how to tell what these are made of?  Lizard skin, gator, etc?

Paul Smith Unstructured Cotton SC, unvented.  Huge shell buttons on this

Kilgour, French & Stanbury SC, side vented.  Possibly cashmere blend

RLPL Dinner Jacket size 42.  I'm guessing that this is not an orphan right?  Unfortunately, it some small splatter stains that I'm going to have to try to remove.

Turnbull & Asser by Chester Barrie, size 39.  This thing is pretty sick, and in mint condition.  

Gucci suit 
  size 42, unavailable at the moment.  Best $6 I've ever spent.  Spoo, I would appreciate your knowledge here.  Any idea when this is from and what its retail value would have been?

pretty sweet haul. wish that paul smith was a small :(

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't need anymore ties, but today I picked up a PRL madras tie for $2. It's my first, so that's the excuse I told myself.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Polos:

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Gucci suit
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

That Paul Smith...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Nice haul!

@WGP- I thought the good Lubiam was 1911 as well. I picked up a 1911 SC the other day and it was made from extra fine wool and is definitely half-canvassed. Decent peace, nice to hear from you!

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are definitely lizard.

I think so, too. And, while I love Nettleton, I'm not sure that those aren't ugly. Sorry. Then again, I also hate most anything made by Gucci or Prada. Go figure.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had some scores today, I actually went out on the hunt.

I know useless without pics, but I am shot and too tired to take them. Not GW prices, but still not bad. All headed to the bay.

Bespoke Isaia 100% Cashmere staple navy SC +/- 43R
Bepsoke Davies & Sons Savile Row FFUUUU SC +/- 43R
Zegna 15 mil 15 wheat glen plaid DB peak lapel suit +/- 44R
RLPL Pink spread collar french cuff shirt 15.5
Fray for Trillion Palm beach blue gingham spread collar shirt 15ish maybe smaller (Brian..)

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads