1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concealed

concealed Senior member

its not

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I see the points on both sides. What I DON'T see is belaboring the point further, so long as EVERYONE keeps their responses to DM7 in PM (as requested).

On to what we're all here for: My luck changed this morning. Nothing DM7 legendary, but still probably one of my best hauls. Deets and hopefully pics later.

3. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

GMMcL,
    Can I get one kick in :deadhorse: before we move on to another non thrift related topic?

The opinions expressed in the following are those of the author, and do not reflect in any way those of the styleforum community of which he is a member:

When DM7 started posting his finds there was considerable excitement amongst followers of this thread. How can he come up with so much grail level stuff?! I know that I PM’d him on 1 or 2 of his early suit finds that was never answered. However, it has become clear that he’s buying stuff in bulk from Saks or a major retailer/reseller. I think he has hooked up some posters here, but he never even responded to my PMs so he’s pretty much persona non grata in my book. I think that people have caught on and his recent posts have been taken with shrugged shoulders. Recently, DM7 posted a bunch of primo stuff and he was asking, “Where’s my props?…You guys have high standards!”. Well, not really, we just all caught on.

I don’t think the Spoo analogy is apt because he imparts his considerable knowledge on brands on many occasions.

DM7 wants to sell, more power to him. There are places here for him to do that. I for one will not buy based on my interactions (or lack of) with him. I guess mom was right, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

2 people like this.
  4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I read that too and was thinking what the fuck... on both counts.

5. eazye

eazye Senior member

+10000 :facepalm:

6. mainy

mainy Senior member

lol if you think he isn't thrifting the vast majority of what he posts i got a few massive fedex boxes here filled w/ his primo stuff that has thrift store tags on them

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

DM7 is a really nice dude and has always responded to my PMs... :puzzled:

8. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Why the hate? He's offering to hook people up with some legit stuff, just not at the thrift level price. Probably still at a significant discount, bu even at a 70% discount, most of the stuff would be considered "priced high". Its the discount thread, never had to be OMGAD I GOT A KITON AT 5 DOLLARS discount.

But OMGAD I GOT A BOGOGOLI COAT TODAY FOR FO DOLLAH.

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

What size is the Boglioli?

10. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

notworthit

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  11. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

:crackup:

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

Thrift fit w/ new boots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J Crew Merino sweater thrifted by me
    Brioni shirt from goneAwol
    60's vintage Oscar de la Renta tie ($30 price tag still in it) thrifted by me
    BB blackwatch flannel pants, thrifted by me
    Alden #8 shell cordovan boots
    spare tire, earned the old fashioned way

13. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I will say this. I have gotten to know DM7 quite well over the past few weeks / months and there is nothing about his activities that indicate he is doing anything different from our own bargain hunting activities. We would all be doing what he is doing given time and inclination. He is a very resourceful bargain hunter no questions asked.

I do not see the same level of criticism leveled to others that offer a proxy. Hilarious!

If another member offered the same proxy deal, nobody would have shaken two shits about it other than perhaps lukewarm applause and a truckload of PM's. Perhaps the more paranoid amongst us will presume the proxy prices include an implicit markup - although I doubt it in DM7's case. The prices quoted are not bad at all and pretty reasonable.

I got a PM from a fellow that suggested a proxy from TJMaxx involving a Kiton suit in my size. He was not screwing around, showed me pics and everything. Sadly the suit was $1.5K but I still think he was a jolly good fellow for taking the time out to contact me. I think we should appreciate those that do favors, not condemn them. To raise issues like "oh thats not thrifting" or "he is trying to peddle his shit here rather than take a dump in eBay" is not necessary. That is just jumping the gun.

I am well prepared to defend someone whom is willing to cut some folks a deal.

I have had my issues with the concept of reselling at large markup in this thread. I have had severe issues with people overpricing basic thrift finds. I have had major issues with unfair trades of the kind "your good for my shit". I went ape shit and wrote a page of random waffle highlighting my thoughts. I am not saying my essay conveying my random consciousness made any difference, but I have noticed a significant toning down of "I found this beat to shit unvented low gorge 3 button 20 year old dated ugly box cut Kiton, you guys can have it for $400".

The concept of bargain hunting is very simple - getting stuff by hook or by crook for way below what department stores want.

Is going to Saks Off Fifth / last call not bargain hunting?

Is a consignment store not bargain hunting when the said item purchased is 90% below retail?

Is TJMaxx or Marshalls not bargain hunting?

How can thrifting be considered bargain hunting but a high scale resale store liquidation / estate sale / wardrobe clearance operation not be placed in the same category?

Should we proceed and now not count any thrift find costing more than 40bucks as a non bargain and thus non brag-worthy / not esteemed enough for posting here?.

Example: I purchased a pair of monks from none other than Mr Girling himself from a Goodwill for an agonizing $130. Should that find be called non bargain / non thrifting when the pricing cunts at Goodwill exercised more business savvy than I bargained for? I was furious with Goodwill since they had six friggin boxes of donated monks by that British stalwart! I had to leave five pairs behind. Hard cheese for me, but bargain yes or no despite the markup?

I feel this thread is a bargain hunting thread, full stop. That means any purchase well below retail, not from eBay, but from a brick and mortar store is fair game.

This is the thread title folks: The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Nuff Zed

/ rant

4 people like this.
  14. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

I'd probably go blue shirt and a slightly darker tie, but looks nice, and pants look dark enough not to give off a Christmas vibe.

Incidentally, where'd you get the boots? Alden shop?

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Thanks. I got them at Alden of Carmel.

16. Mr_Elusive

Mr_Elusive Well-Known Member

I PM'd DM7 about a few things he posted and he gave me reasonable prices that I had no problem paying. The stuff just wasn't my size.

17. catside

catside Senior member

I am so jealous that I decided to get in to a flurry of selling activity of my backlog and after I reach to wherever that price point is to drive to ShoeMart. I'm just afraid I won't be able to get out with just boots.

I personally want to see the pics of what DM found BTW; everybody is selling here anyway. I have gotten to accept the change.

Today all I got is a pair of shoe trees, a woolen Marks and Spencer scarf since I lost my Press cashmere. Oh also a battery operated wine vacuum stopper thingy. Passed Bally loafers bc too small and I have too much of a backlog to sell.

18. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

The objections, at least mine, were not of this nature. There was no bragging involved in DM7s post. There were no pictures. It was a straight up request for pricing guidance.

19. catside

catside Senior member

Hey! What's going on? Frenchy's blog disappeared. The other source, too.

20. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Anyone know about scarfs? I found these two Hermes, I believe are, scarfs. Then I thought they were ascots but I still dunno. They are different in that the look like a paper fans that are folded like this:

[​IMG]

Heres some webcam pics of them (sorry for the poor quality)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not to take away from the DM7 drama, but if anyone could help me figure out what these are called that would be great.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.