• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

workthatwedo

Reaction score
Yves Saint Laurent 3 piece suit; dual vent, flat front pants. Perfect condition, but no tags other than Made in France and 100% wool. Based on an itinerary found in the pocket, it's pre 1990. 17" Shoulders, 19.5" Chest, 30" Length. How'd I do?
Yesterday I wished I was fatter, now I wish I was skinnier. Although, is that gorge kind of low or is it just the pic?

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It can be worse when they do buy.  Someone asked me to ship to UK.  I quoted USPS Express International.  Also, I provided the tagged size and the actual measurements of the item.  I felt a little bad about the price of shipping, so I threw in an extra item to be nice.  Now he is says the item doesn't fit, the shipping cost too much, and he cannot "honestly rate it as a good or positive transaction."

Can you offer that he ship it back and you will refund purchase price (not shipping)?

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
Thats what I would do..... offer to make a "one time exception" (I assume your listing states, no returns) and that you will refund the purchase price (excluding shipping) in full once the item is returned in the same condition it was shipped.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, still happening in fact. If he follows through with the negative feedback, I will see what they can do for me.
For next time: I have a terms and conditions section on all of my listings (actually now it is a link to a terms and conditions page in my store). If you haven't already you should come up with one. Mine is always changing, mostly adding stuff because of idiot buyers. I have a point in my returns section that any return for an item which does not fit is subject to a 10% restocking fee, since all the measurements are provided in the listings. Return shipping is on the buyers dime, too.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yves Saint Laurent 3 piece suit....How'd I do?

I would have passed on this, but if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

EDIT: Here's some YSL knowledge Klobber shared a while back. My main concern with that suit, regardless of whether it was from a diffusion line or not, is how low the label notch seems to be. Then again, it's hard to tell if it just looks that way on the hanger.

Left: some fake? YSL (made in Malaysia) shirts

Nope, YSL in 80's and much of 90's had their cheaper diffusion lines (i.e. Pour Homme) that were routinely available in lower end stores like Macys and Dillards. If you check fabric tag, my bet says a 60/40 cotton polyester mix. YSL Rive Gauche was only line that was good (and some of their tailored stuff on the Pour Homme line was fairly OK). The Rive Gauche line dissapeared about 3 or 4 years ago, now it is just Yves Saint Laurent and it is high(ish) end. Pour Homme line of clothing vanished around late 90's early 00's.

Yeah exactly what I saw on the fabric tag and the tag said just Yves Saint Laurent

Yeah, older shirt 80's - 90's that appeared in lower end stores. Rive Gauche stuff by YSL is well worth a pickup, and any modern Yves Saint Laurent tag with white background and black lettering. Chances of picking this up in a thrift store are slim, but I do occasionally run into Tom Ford era YSL. I have found 3 pieces in last 6 months.

Mind taking a few min and tossing up pictures of the labels that I should be looking for? Thanks a bunch. I'm actually working on a "label book" but it's a slow project with all the pictures and measurements I need to get taken of my thrifted items for sale/trade.

Certainly

New YSL and YSL Rive Gauche = excellent. (You can tell older Rive Gauche from newer. Older Rive Gauche 80's to 90's just said Rive Gauche no Yves Saint Laurent written above it)
Pour Homme = use good judgement. Some made in Italy pieces were good (overcoats, sport coats, Dress Pants etc), shirts etc sucked.

Current tag

YSL Rive Gauche Tag late 90's - 2006/7

YSL Pour Homme Tag 1990's

Last edited:

workthatwedo

Reaction score
Thats what I would do..... offer to make a "one time exception" (I assume your listing states, no returns) and that you will refund the purchase price (excluding shipping) in full once the item is returned in the same condition it was shipped.

Thanks for the advice. The hilarious part is that the shipping was about 3 times more than the item. I wasn't that keen on shipping internationally and I wanted to cover myself with tracking so I went with Express. We even went back and forth a few times noting that was expensive but the only option I would go with. I will offer up the refund less shipping but I doubt it will appease them.

For next time: I have a terms and conditions section on all of my listings (actually now it is a link to a terms and conditions page in my store). If you haven't already you should come up with one. Mine is always changing, mostly adding stuff because of idiot buyers. I have a point in my returns section that any return for an item which does not fit is subject to a 10% restocking fee, since all the measurements are provided in the listings. Return shipping is on the buyers dime, too.

I am definitely going to have to flesh out some terms and conditions or bail on this hobby.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

People that ask questions don't buy.
When I sell stuff, it's like.. wait what I have a PayPal payment? Sweet :colgate: Ship. Boom done.
I've found this to be true on SF, eBay, Craigslist, GunBroker, garage sale, what have you, etc.

Generally, I think that's true, but not always. I'm with Concealed: If I haven't provided the answer to a reasonable question--I sometimes leave out sleeve lengths on coats because they're largely irrelevant, the alteration being so easy and cheap--I'll happily answer. But when someone asks for sole measurements, that's a Not Serious Buyer neon sign.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[Accidentally posted.]

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Generally, I think that's true, but not always. I'm with Concealed: If I haven't provided the answer to a reasonable question--I sometimes leave out sleeve lengths on coats because they're largely irrelevant, the alteration being so easy and cheap--I'll happily answer. But when someone asks for sole measurements, that's a Not Serious Buyer neon sign.

I agree with this sentiment, but I suppose I'm in the minority. I do very small volume, selling items here and there, so I rarely have more than 5 or 10 items listed at once and it's therefore easier to keep up with questions. I doubt someone's serious intention when they ask such questions or when they ask something that is already clearly listed, but I still answer. If there is a 1% chance that I'll keep their interest in the item and they make1 bid to up the price, it was worth the time.

Also, I watch a lot of auctions with the intention of buying. When I see an item listed that I might want but lacks important information, I'll send a message to the buyer and not add it to my watch list. If I get no response, I assume I saved myself the time, trouble and money of buying something that isn't what I wanted. If they get back to me, then I'll check it out again.

^That was a long-winded response that basically says "I answer stupid questions in the hope that they will buy."

Dingus

Reaction score

Grabbed the Italian made Polo trousers from those bastards in Westport for $3, then hit Shake Shack over there for lunch, yum yum

They had 2 shirts Etro/Canali in my size and mint, but were asking $35 each :fu:  this is at a Goodwill mind you

I was there yesterday and I have to agree. They had very normal stuff (polo, BB, etc) for $15-35 and then I found Incotex Cinqutasche jeans for $5.99. They know the value of some brands, overvalue some brands (like Pink), and then just miss some good stuff. I don't know how folks who truly need low prices shop there. The GW in Monroe has better prices, but much more dreck to sort through.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always ask questions to determine how well the item will fit... :embar:

...and actually prefer to answer questions so I know I'm not mailing something that will only cause anger, frustration, or result in a return or bad feedback.
:hide:

*pics of oatmeal creampie haul forthcoming. some still available if anyone wants to swing by. pick-up only!

Last edited:

Cedric

Reaction score
Got a Faconnable, sport coat made in Canada. Most likely by retailers Holt Renfrew or Harry Rosen.
Tagged 40 R
Double vented, fully lined.

Not sure of age, can anyone help ID ?
Its a white tag Faconnable...

Last edited:

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Got a Faconnable, sport coat made in Canada. Most likely by retailers Holt Renfrew or Harry Rosen.
Tagged 40 R
Double vented, fully lined.
Not sure of age, can anyone help ID ?
Its a white tag Faconnable...

Got a pic of the manufacturer's tag? Is it fully canvassed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads