1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Alan Paine navy cashmere vintage sweater, 'Made in England'
    H&K blue mini-gingham fc shirt, 'Made in England'

2. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

"[A]s long as I'm in a thrift, why not look!"

Well, rnoldh, we can only hope you've started out on the road to ruin. Sounds like a very promising initial foray. Being a city of boom and bust, I'll bet Houston could be a gold mine-- 'cause when the boom hits there's no predicting what crazy luxury people will spring for.
    Perry Ellis, if it's old enough, can be interesting. There was also at one time a high-end Perry Ellis line, which I think featured a white label with the name written as a signature. Wilkes Bashford carried the line. Need I say more?
    Kind of slow for me lately, haven't been beating the bushes like I should. But I did go out this morning and found: (1) yellow foulard tie by Charles Hill for Barneys ($2), (2) T&A unworn ivory silk bespoke shirt w/ french cuffs ($3.10), and (3) incredible pair of nearly mint vintage cordovan full brogues with double sole by Keith Highlander ($6.49).
    Anyway, keep looking, rnoldh. Ferret out the great spots and make us all dream of life in Houston.

Amazing! Those Keith Highlanders must be some shoes. If you haven't seen it, here's what comes up on Google. It's an ad for Keith Highlander Wine Cordovan's from 1948!

It compares the shoes to a $5000 car. By today's standards, that would be like comparing the shoes to a $100,000 car. They must be very nice shoes!

Here's the 1948 Ad:

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,kei...source=VYZ4474

3. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

That's reall cool, rnoldh. No, I hadn't seen that ad. I did have a pair of Keith Highlander white bucks (also thrifted) several years ago. I liked them well enough to wear them out. Here's a quick picture of the shoes from today. I've basically just wiped them down.

[​IMG]

Alan, those sound like great classic finds. I have some great camel hair v-necks marked Alan Paine--one even has elbow patches! And I absolutely love gingham. Is the H&K shirt from the good old days (when H&K was as good as anyone making rtw shirts)?

4. Newton

Newton Senior member

I have just read the last few pages of this thread and the bargains some of you have found have blown my mind!

Any tips for the novice? Every now and then I try but have no luck.

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

I have just read the last few pages of this thread and the bargains some of you have found have blown my mind!

Any tips for the novice? Every now and then I try but have no luck.

Research all the thrift stores in your area, and hit them as often as you can. Merchandise turns over quickly, and there will be some die-hard thrifters that may purchase the good stuff before you get a chance to. Leave no stone unturned, and you will soon discover some excellent finds!

Also, try and find what day they put all the new merchandise out (thrift stores color-code the tags - usually with 4 different colors - and once a week they replace all the items of a certain tag color. These are the days to go thrifting).

6. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Alan, those sound like great classic finds. I have some great camel hair v-necks marked Alan Paine--one even has elbow patches! And I absolutely love gingham. Is the H&K shirt from the good old days (when H&K was as good as anyone making rtw shirts)?

Here's an attempt at a pic of the Paine. I couldn't get a good shot because it's so dark. It's listed as a size 44, but fits me fine. My recent Pringle sweater is a size 40 (my actual size) and fits about the same. Odd.

[​IMG]

The H&K is a Saks 'Made in England', and appears to be of good quality:

[​IMG]

I paid about $9 for the pair.

7. ACDoyle

ACDoyle Senior member

just got back from Saks off 5th at the Block in orange
    got a Borrelli for $64 (92-30% coupon)
    The original price was $365

8. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I've done some thrifting in the last few months since I last found time to post. Here's what I've acquired in that time.

-Grey-brown herringbone belted DB wool overcoat by one Oxxford Clothes for Bergdorf Goodman. Nicest non-Attolini overcoat I've ever seen. I splurged on it and paid a whole $17. Maybe I'll even wear it, though probably not until I leave the Deep South.

-Grey nailhead 2B/CV Oxxford for BG in "my size" (for Oxxford, that means a size or sometimes two down and L instead of R). Great exterior shape, though the inside of the waistband needs some repairs and the lining is torn at the pits. No holes in the wool, though, and the pits are a cheap repair. Probably same owner as the overcoat above. Not my favorite suit silhouette, but inarguably of beautiful construction and given that it cost less than the Frappucino I drank after buying it - 75% off of $5.97 - it was a no-brainer.

-"Cabott Clothes/Abercrombie & Fitch" 2B/CV sportcoat in a tan/brown tweedy wool/cashmere blend. Every indication (construction, silhouette label fonts, and the "Owentsia" model designation) point to this jacket being a rebadged Oxxford. When did A&F have the class, will (and demographic) to see Oxxford? Based on the size and excellent condition, I'm betting all three of these Oxxford pieces came from the same closet.

-Marcus Collection (NM house brand) sportcoat 3B/SV sportcoat in tan linen with patch pockets (breast and hip) and nice MOP buttons. It's an older jacket, with "Neiman Marcus" written in their old rounded font. I was surprised when I saw the brand, because it's a really nice jacket. Fully canvassed, and beautiful lapels with a very elegant roll. Were it not for the "Union Made in the USA" tag, I would assume it to be British (Chester Barrie) or perhaps Italian (Saint Andrew or maybe Belvest). I don't know many American suit makers, but this one quality wise seems to fair sized chop above the Hickey-Freeman/H. Freeman & Son level but not quite Oxxford. (Also, the canvas is thinner than the typical Oxxford blanket.) Who has filled that niche in America, and sold garments under NM's house label? Greenfield, perhaps?

-RLPL/Corneliani (I assume, as the SA stuff I've seen has been better) dove grey wool twill cargo pants with side tabs. An occasional wear item, but good enough for $3.95.

-Heathered grey with faint golden broken windowpane pattern 3B/SV sportcoat with signature lining, Carroll & Co. Made in Canada, so I assume it's Samuelsohn. Regardless, it was certainly worth $8. (Anyone know who in Italy makes their pants? Outside of thrifting, I bought a pair of beautiful brown/olive flat front flannel pants at Carroll - for full price even! - but I neglected to ask who made them. The quality of detailing and finish suggests SA or Incotex to me, as they're nicer than my staple Zanellas, and barely more expensive.)

-A new camel/wool blend collar overlay for my Burberry trench, that doesn't have a worn spot in it like my old overlay. $0.50.

A bunch of beautiful vintage cashmere sweaters for between $5 and $8 each, Scottish-made unless otherwise noted. Here's a list.
    -Ballantyne for Burberrys' in a red/green-and-white argyle over a navy base.
    -Pringle for Burberrys' (I thought that was an odd label, too, but that's what it said) red cable-knit crewneck
    -TSE collared sweater (horn buttons) in tan. Nicest Chinese-made cashmere I've ran across.
    -J. & D. McGeorge for Harrod's in a heathered sky blue with "RAF" style shoulders.
    -Pringle V-neck in a heathered medium grey with RAF shoulders
    -Clan Douglas/Nordstrom burgundy with a shallow v-neck (probably the newest sweater in the group)
    -Black with shell buttons collared sweater branded Saks Cashmere Collection, made in Hong Kong

Also, a made-in-Scotland bulky ribbed sweater from Land's End that's badged 100% camelhair, in a natural finish. I think it'll look great over PDC Ltd's or AG Fillmores, especially for $3.

I know there's something else cool I'm forgetting.

And here were my non-clothing thrift steals over the past month. All of this stuff came from a single thrift store in Little Rock two months ago. We struck so much gold there that we outgrew the Passat W8 wagon we were in and had to get a U-Haul! Here's what we carted out of that place.

-Carving set with four steak knives by Carvel Hall for Herman Miller in the original (presumably) packaging. I don't know anything about the maker, and given the box I bet they were a gift for an employee or something, but the knives themselves are beautiful, nicely balanced, and spotless. I don't know how much this set should be worth, but my gut tells me it's more than the $7.50 I paid for them.

-Four Peter Protzmann for Herman Miller chairs in white leather (not vinyl). They were pretty mottled when I bought them, but some intense scrubbing with Lexol shampoo followed by a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, another helping of Lexol, and finally sitting in the Georgia sun slathered in Connolly Hide Food under shrink wrap restored them nicely. Now they look like they were straight out of the Peggy Guggenheim in Venice. They're now in my sunroom. One of the reasons I had to rent a U-Haul to come home, but that wasn't too bad considering the overall haul. $20 total. I like 'em, and like other 1970s things I think they're posed for a value take-off, too. And even if they don't, they look great in my sunroom so I don't care that much.

-A pair of Martin Logan Monolith III's. They're the biggest speakers I've ever owned, and that's saying something. (They are not the most dynamic or best-sounding, though.) Like the HM chairs they're in the sunroom, and they're a huge improvement over the pretty but gutless little Sonus Fabers standmounts I had in there. (Anyone interested in a pair of SF Electa Amators with the OEM stands?) $75 plus my share of the U-Haul trailer, though I've already put over $1000 into them. The 12" woofers were either just bad to begin with or a bad recone job, because no matter what I did the bass was one-notey. The electrostatic panels go all the way down to 125Hz, so replaced them with the woofers Genelec's US distributor told me they use in their top-of-the-range sub, the XLS12 from a Danish company called Peerless. I also bought a nice, clean 1000W amp with EQ functions built in for each subwoofer so I could actively biamp the speakers. (The panels are getting ~120W each from a Bryston 3B-ST that I never got around to selling after I went to modern active speakers in my main system.) After some dialing of the woofers' crossover, phase, and EQ the PRAT-quotient is way, way up, though the bass is still very weak compared to my main system (two suboptimally placed 12's vs. mains with 12" woofers and four Paradigm Servo-15 subs, so that's no surprise) and dynamics are nowhere near that setup either. Still, a secondary stereo with flagship Martin Logan electrostats. How fucking cool is that? I'm still in utter disbelief. I do have to get covers made for them, as excessive UV light is supposed to be bad for 'stats, and I'm thinking white leather to match the chairs.

-My friend, coming later to the electronics section than I did, missed out on the really good stuff. But I made it up to him by steering him towards some beautiful, well-cared-for oiled walnut Klipschorns. Considering that these were made in AK, I would've expected more recognition of them. Price: $100, and even the woofer surrounds are good as new. They sound great...or at least the way good condition K-horns generally sound if that's your bag. (He had crap before, little Totem minimonitors barely the size of footballs and about as musical, so he's understandably ecstatic to have real men's speakers now.) He also picked up a Marantz 8B amp to drive them that doesn't sound quite right to me and has a pitted front panel, but considering he bought the amp for $30 I think that he can pretty readily afford professional attention for it.

9. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Great speaker! Give em plenty of power. [​IMG]

10. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Great speaker! Give em plenty of power. [​IMG]

Truthfully, my main speakers (Genelec 1037's) humiliate the giant 'stats on everything except for stripped down female vocals. (Admittedly, I never ran the 'stats through my main system's TacT TCS, which cleans up the already peerless Genelecs even further.) There the ESL magic really shows through. And the woofers M-L used in these things were just cheap crap. Stamped frame, tiny magnet, one note sound. Nothing that should be anywhere near a speaker that cost what these cost new. I had to spend over $400 on new woofers (Peerless XLS12) to get the bass section up to snuff with the panels.

Since I'm just using them as extension speakers in my sunroom anyway, the ~125W I'm feeding each panel (Bryston 3B) and ~500W I'm feeding each upgraded subwoofer (rack-mount Class G sub amp from Parts Express) is plenty. I do think they'd be happier with the panels driven off something like a Crown K2 or big Krell, though.

11. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

A Marantz 8b?! Was the 10b tuner hanging around anywhere?
    Congratulations, sounds like a bunch of really great stuff. The Oxxford pieces sound beautiful (and, btw, I too have seen things I suspect were Oxxford for A&F). And those chairs certainly rate a picture!
    Where was this thrifting done?

12. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

There was an auction for an Abercrombie Oxxford (labeled as such) on ebay recently. Remember that the old, real A&F was a venerable store, not the joke that it is today.

Interesting that Oxxford did private label work, though.

13. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Where was this thrifting done?

No tuner that I saw, though the only vintage electronics that get my attention have aquamarine glass faceplates. Otherwise, it's just stuff that performs less accurately than $200 A/V receivers to me. I am always on the lookout for old Altec or Tannoy coaxes. Not that I've ever found any.

What I listed represents about two months of thrift hauls. In that time, a friend and I took a tour of the Deep South, our endpoints being the Carter Presidential Library on one end and the Clinton Library on the other. A lot of this stuff (and the electronics and furniture) came from random thrift stores in old Southern capitals. I believe the Oxxford stuff came out of a random Charlston thrift. There was also a trip to LA that had some thrifting involved, and a few trips to NYC that didn't turn up much. The sweaters came from all over the place, though I do remember the Lands End camelhair one coming from a thrift store here in Athens. (They also had some Southwick, Hickey Freeman, and Oxxford suits, but none of it was to my taste.)

I wish I had written down the name of the Little Rock place, but I suspect they'll never be that good again considering how much dust had settled on the stuff we carted out of there. It seemed like nobody with a good eye had stepped into that store for years.

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

just got back from Saks off 5th at the Block in orange
    got a Borrelli for $64 (92-30% coupon)
    The original price was $365

Where did they have borrelli? I spent about an hour in that store on Friday trying to find something to use my 30% off coupon on, and ended up just getting a David Chu Bengal striped dress shirt for $30, which is admittedly good but I'd rather have had the Borrelli heh

15. Homme

Homme Senior member

Does ebay count ? I just receive a pair of tramezzas for $170 AU. Last week i saw the same pair at David Jones, a department-store retailer here, for $1170 AU. $1000 of retail isn't too bad.

16. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Pair of apparently unworn, insulated Vasque Sundowners for $7.00. They retail for $199.00.

17. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Really cool vintage A&F sheepskin shearling coat with striking polished bone buttons. Paid upwards of $20, but couldn't pass it up. I'll try to post a pictture later (maybe after I book the flight to Jackson).

18. VMan

VMan Senior member

Passed on a pair of J&M Aristocrat 'Hand-Mades' with the shovel sole, and the hand-written sizing and last info.

Also passed on what appeared to be some T&A bespoke shirts. They had the 3-button cuffs (with thick MOP buttons like Borrelli uses), beautiful fabric and collars, but had no other identification aside from the owner's initials embroidered inside the yoke.

Picked up a few other things - Oxxford suit, vintage 50's/60's Brooks Brothers made-in-England Lambswool sweater, etc.

19. Matt

Matt Senior member

why did you pass them up?

20. VMan

VMan Senior member

why did you pass them up?

Not my size, and would have needed a re-soling plus some cleaning up done on the uppers. The insoles were also pretty worn down, and didn't have the J&M name on them anymore (though I recognized all the other aspects of the shoe as being J&M).

As for the T&A shirts - not my size, figured such nice shirts were meant to be worn and enjoyed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.