• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry for the noob questions, but I'm trying to learn.

I found a Yves Saint Laurent Suit, but I had some doubts about the quality. The materials seemed fine and it was fully canvassed but the "menswear" and Dillards lead me to believe that maybe it was one of the lower end lines.

Similarly, I found a Hickey Freeman sport coat that I wasn't sure about. Everything looked fine, but I'm just starting out looking at suits and things so I didn't want to be too hasty.

Was it a good decision to pass on these or should I go back and hope they are still there?

Go back and get the HF. It's good stuff.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some more catch up stuff. I will add measurements as I go.

J Press 3 roll 2 Charcoal Nailhead with Blue Chalk Stripe - needs a little lining repair and a sleeve button.

Confex (Rumania) Heavy weave 3 roll 2, canvassed - Size 36

J Press, Greenish Gray Herringbone with Gold/Red Stripe 3 Roll 2 - Needs a sleeve button too...I think the previous owner was eating them.

J Press Flannel 3 Roll 2 Greyish Brown

Vintage Southwick for Paul Stuart Beige wiith Brick Red Stripe...needs a little collar restitching under flap.

Hanover Shell Cordovan PTBs , Black, 11 A/AAA Barely worn.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hopefully enough time has lapsed since Xenos' post so that I may post my finds from last week:

Ties:

Plus this unmarked thick 7-fold - any ideas on the maker?

Awesome Olive POW Zegna 15MilMil15 (tagged 58EU)

See, kids, this is why you pick up for quality, not just label... that tie is a Kiton, I'm about 99.5% sure. Matches several tags in my closet and the "styling" is spot on too. :nodding:

:drool: at that Zegna... I need more SC's for work, PM'd hoping it's big enough!

MattR

Reaction score

Hopefully enough time has lapsed since Xenos' post so that I may post my finds from last week:

Ties:

Turnbull & Asser x2, Vintage Gucci, Hilditch & Key, Oxxford

Only keeping the T&A navy with red dots tie and the WB flannel - everything else is up for grabs!

I saw the T&A pindot, swooned, then saw this last sentence. :inlove: --> :drool: --> :(

A great haul, by the way!

Last edited:

wcl

Reaction score

Some more catch up stuff. I will add measurements as I go. 

J Press 3 roll 2 Charcoal Nailhead with Blue Chalk Stripe - needs a little lining repair and a sleeve button.

J Press, Greenish Gray Herringbone with Gold/Red Stripe 3 Roll 2 - Needs a sleeve button too...I think the previous owner was eating them.

J Press Flannel 3 Roll 2 Greyish Brown

Vintage Southwick for Paul Stuart Beige wiith Brick Red Stripe...needs a little collar restitching under flap.

Hanover Shell Cordovan PTBs , Black, 11 A/AAA Barely worn.

The AA boys would bust a nut over these.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif
. 16.25" shoulders really would work for you? I'll take a fit pic when I get the jacket (if it is totally unwearable there is already someone who has dibs on the thread, Eazye, you'd be third I think, sorry)

No, no I was just kidding :D

Hoofit

Reaction score

Does the shell fairy just drop these in your lap...what number is that for you? lol Seems like your always finding shell longwings
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

I have to admit that I have been lucky over the last little while finding shell. I think over the last 4-5 years I have probably found 10-15 pair. Only 1 pair has ever been my size though.

rayxlui

Reaction score
I've found Burberry Prorsum, Betsey Johnson, Fendi, Dolce and Gabbana and Christian Loubiton for my girlfriend.

But apparently I picked up her favorite thing of all time today.

A badminton racquet.

WUDAFUK.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

that's what she said
:rimshot:
did a little Vintage Rock T-shirt shopping this afternoon.

GHo :

MY NEW FAVORITE PERSON

:slayer:

Last edited:

ilikethelights

Reaction score

I really wanted one of those shawl collar navy Bloomingdales cardigans that they had over the winter. They're all gone now :(

The really thick wool/cashmere ones? Got one of those earlier in the year for same price. Love it but only got to wear it once. I've been making a killing on my fall winter wardrobe... right as summer begins. :fu:

amadar

Reaction score

See, kids, this is why you pick up for quality, not just label... that tie is a Kiton, I'm about 99.5% sure. Matches several tags in my closet and the "styling" is spot on too. :nodding:
:drool: at that Zegna... I need more SC's for work, PM'd hoping it's big enough!

Agree with Nataku, that definitely looks like a Kiton that has lost its Kiton label. I have a few to compare against as well, they're in my sig if anyones curious. :D :spam:

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Agree with Nataku, that definitely looks like a Kiton that has lost its Kiton label. I have a few to compare against as well, they're in my sig if anyones curious.
biggrin.gif
spam[1].gif

I have a spare "KITON" label that I removed from a thrashed shirt when I gutted it for buttons that you can have for free.

(Aside: I sometimes collect photographs (on my computer) / or actual old clothing labels (in an Altoids tin) of pieces of clothing that I have personally seen that I think are interesting. It's a cheap hobby that I enjoy - don't judge.)
shog[1].gif

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whats the deal with Etro ties? I assume there are fakes out there?

what deal do you mean? I'm not so sure Etro is the kind of label that would compel a lot of counterfeiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics