The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

Strange SF Thrifting JUJU

So last week Grendel posts the above generous offer to share his sweater good fortune with his SF Thrift brethren. I sent him a PM, but another was faster than I and I lost out on the opportunity. I have a similar LL Bean Norway sweater, and have enjoyed it and thought that I would get another if the opportunity ever was presented.

So, I walk into a GW today and am doing the search, and look at what I found;

[​IMG]

Strange that the SF Thrift JUJU worked things out. So think about how this could work out for everyone if we all use this intriguing force to enrich all that contribute to this thread. . .

Last edited: May 11, 2012

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

I've tried this... putting out what I'm looking for and then looking for it. It's worked a couple times, but mostly not. Glad you found a sweater.

Thrift fit for today. SW&D casual Friday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J Crew cotton / cashmere sweater : thrifted by me
    Been Had PRL Madras: thrifted by me
    RRL raw red-line selvage jeans, eBay
    Eastland Made-in-Maine olive trail oxfords, thrifted by me

Took this on the way out
    [​IMG]

Barbour Beaufort from Mainy
    Coach bag from 46n2
    Persol sunglasses from eBay

That's about the max of SW&D-ness I think I'll achieve... never gonna be a goth-ninja

3. vexco

vexco Senior member

Much better than I could pull off. Glad you enjoy it :)

4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I meant to do this last week but forgot to: I also want to give a shot out to vexco for hooking me up with some ABSOLUTELY RIDONCULOUS Loro Piana cotton khaki colored slacks on the super cheap. Things are BALLER. Feel soft as a mofo and look awesome... you BEST BELIEVE you'll be seeing them mugs on a thrift fit soon enough.

Definitely get your trades in with this fellow - good dude.

5. vexco

vexco Senior member

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

6. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Shirt looks great...glad it worked out for you :slayer:

7. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Made a stop on the way to a friend's birthday party last night and came across a few Zegna, Borelli and Isaia shirts....

which all looked like this:

[​IMG]

:fu:

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Fairview, right? Dahl and I found the guy's other shirts in similar condition. He really got use out of those shirts....

9. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

It was in Rogers. Maybe it's the same guy spreading these around town...

10. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Three thoughts on a Saturday morning:

1)
    I'd love to see more of people's thrifting superstitions. I myself am a staunch atheist who doesn't believe in anything supernatural, except when it comes to thrifting. For a while, every time a certain song by Carly Rae Jepsen came on the radio while I was on my way to a thrift, it meant I would find nothing that day. Eventually I just turned off the radio.

2)
    Donating something with major damage or damage in such obvious places is such a dickish move. It's like driving up to a charity with a big bag of your garbage.

3) I wish I hadn't accidentally left my camera cable at school, and thus have no way to post a pic of the NWT Brioni trousers I thrifted the other day.

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

:brick: Less than 12 hour before the auction ends too... and the bid was placed like 4 days ago. Why you lie to me shitty buyer? :fu:

12. MattR

MattR Senior member

Always the son for some reason

13. Jettison

Jettison Well-Known Member

New contenders for most bafflingly overpriced items: a two decade old, ugly, 55% Polyester Marks & Spencers dinner suit for £55. Equally old, worn, ugly, Jaeger suit for £70. [​IMG]

Today grabbed some nice cushioned shoes from a local shoemaker, extremely comfortable.

Passed on a William Hunt shirt; really mediocre quality. Do they just lend their name to someone else's gear?

And finally a chance to use this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

This drives me crazy too. However, I know a lot of stores encourage people to donate even their heavily damaged clothing, because they cut it up and sell it in bulk as rags. So its the thrift store making the dick move to put it on the racks.

[​IMG] Use your cell phone, I wanna see that!!

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I thrifted these....but kind of unrelted to the bragging part of this though. Thought some of you would be interested in my little experiment though. Learned lots of stuff for next time and I would encourage any of you guys who are into shoes to pick up a crappy pair of "better" shoes like Allen Edmonds and give it a shot. Have about $25 total into the shoes so figure I can recoup that on ebay pretty easily as they are now "custom 1 of a kind" [​IMG] (If anyone wants a pair of BrianPore custom dyed shoes for $25 + shipping in size 8D as beaters let me know before these go on ebay tomorrow.

I'm going to continue to pick up cheap Allen Edmonds and do this more and more. It's fun...maybe get some blue polish next time [​IMG]

So I tried a fun project with a pair of "crappy" thrifted Allen Edmonds. I did not soak the shoes at the same time (lesson learned) so they ended up being slightly different shades. The left shoe is a shade darker then the right shoe, both about the same color.

Also, I was a little hash with my Acetone scrubbing so lesson learned for next time as well.

They started like this
    [​IMG]

After some Acetone and a few minutes in a bleach/water solution the left shoe looked like this (still wet). Right shoe had been brushed and leather conditioner applied (why it looks sooo much better then the first picture)
    [​IMG]

Once both dried (you can see the left shoe is darker)
    [​IMG]

"Custom" polish and wax - Ended up being pretty much the exact color I was going for.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.