The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

The corneliani stuff seems to do pretty well, and has for me a couple of times, although it always depends on what you pay for it [​IMG]... the silk, or silk and linen blends have netted me in the $50 range for a SC.....always good to pass along to a thrifting brother though.....

^^^ Re- Polo Made in the USA stuff- this is the best info I've been able to find on the different makers, over on the AAAC thread-

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...el-made-in-USA-vs-Italy&p=1022845#post1022845

I actually own a couple of sport coats and a suit that are blue label Made in USA, and really like them, although they are a little dated looking in some instances (lower button stance, etc.) . The quality is quite good on some of these.

Two of my favorite ties are 100% wool PRL, really like them. I agree about the PRL stuff in general as well, although for some reason I'm not too big a fan of their dress shirts, although I still have a couple of casual type button downs from my pre-thrift store addiction days I still wear from time to time.....

2. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

Okay, so I'm sure that a lot of you won't feel like "outing" your buyers, but I thought a fun topic might be the most famous person you've ever sold to. Among us, certainly we've sold to some interesting people in our time. I'll start...

Back in the day, my wife was much more active in terms of selling stuff on ebay, and she sold items to both Hamish Bowles (twice!) and Amy Sedaris.

Personally, I haven't sold anything on ebay to anyone famous, but back when I was slinging more rare LPs, I sold weird OOP things to both Henry Rollins and David Byrne (nice combo, eh?)

3. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I went to two stores yesterday and picked up a few things... These are the highlights.

[​IMG]

^^^ L-R: J. Press brown herringbone blazer 42 R; Andover Shop gray nailhead suit 44 R.

[​IMG]

^^^ L-R: Salvatore Ferragamo double-vented orange and blue windowpane on olive sport coat 50 R; Gianluca Isaia double-vented windowpane micro-houndstooth sport coat with working surgeons' cuffs 50 R.

[​IMG]

^^^ Brioni dark plaid unvented sport coat with working surgeons' cuffs 48 R.

[​IMG]

^^^ Gianluca Isaia (for Louis Boston?) STAPLE navy blue unvented suit with working surgeons cuffs 50 R.

[​IMG]

^^^ 9X Luciano Barbera casual shirts (some are cotton some are linen) all are XL or XXL.

[​IMG]

^^^ L-R: Brioni OCBD (collar buttons are in hidden "pockets" inside the collar XXL; 3x (see inset photo for patterns) POLO by Ralph Lauren spread collar shirts 15. ALL MADE IN ITALY; Ermenegildo Zegna Tuxedo Shirt 17. Made in Switzerland (I found the exact same shirt a few months ago in my size - both for $498 at Neiman Marcus).

[​IMG]

^^^ Women's Borrelli Napoli fitted shirt EUR 44.

[​IMG]

^^^ Vintage Brooks Brothers tuxedo shoes 9 or so. They still need a good cleaning, lol.

Thanks!

4. catside

catside Senior member

Nice haul Typhoid.

5. vexco

vexco Senior member

Oh jesus christ...ridiculous haul. [email protected] shirts

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

+1

Trying not to PM about the J Press....

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

TJ might have won for the day....lets see what DM7 pulls out

8. GHo

GHo Senior member

I think TJ wins the interwebs for the week?

9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

The sniping back and forth was making me all sleepy and then:

[​IMG]

DM7 and Typhoid swoop in just in time to get this threak back on track. Awesome finds guys!

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Nah. You'd think so, but we've had 2 Lobb shoe finds and DM7's back to his usual incredible hauls.

11. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

(Even if it was all from yesterday?) [​IMG]

I've had a pretty good week and there's a lot going on with drycleaning, shoe polishing, mannequin dressing, etc. If any of you bigger guys need some hookups (that Gianluca Isaia staple navy suit, the pile of Luciano Barbera shirts, etc.) just let me know. There's actually a lot more vintage stuff for my Etsy shop and some streetwear that's been hanging around - Engineered Garments work shirt, Gant Rugger madras shirt, Hugo Boss slim fit flat front plaid pants, Miu Miu slim fit cigarette pants that measure 32 x 31 or so with a 7 inch leg opening, etc. And I still can't do anything with those Jil Sanders from before.

It's like Sanford & Son up in my place.

Last edited: May 11, 2012

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I've seen Basili before, but no amount of research could substantiate whether they were any good (could easily be doing it wrong). Seemed nice, but were too big for me, so I always left them.

Well good news son, 'cause you'll have a package on the way very soon (fell asleep on the couch last night; sorry!) So cheer up!

I basically apply the same rule: Italy is a kop, USA gets sincere second look.

PM sent.

Jesus mother effing Christmas! Not like its any more unbelievable than the Huntsman you find, but Boateng Bespoke couture in a thrift? WTF!!?? (BTW, are you sure those aren't reverse orphans?) And that Carroll & Co! I swear, if I could afford your stuff, and wasn't trying to stick to my diet, I'd let you help me damage my bank balance.

:inlove:

Holy hell!! You guys killing it is killing me! You're not making this quitting thing any easier for me, dudes! Mother effer, Typhoid!

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

[​IMG]

14. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

Good I was hoping so, Bro!!

15. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Finding this post in a thread of >35,000 posts is the Kiton at Salvation Army. Thanks for posting this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.