The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Hey, but I said no offense at the beginning!! [​IMG].

Nah, not on you in particular. I just think noobs get a lot of shit for often doing shit that oldtimers also do, just because they're noobs, which I think is unfair. Didn't really intend to lay into you so much as the notion that it's only noobs doing this and that it's only problematic when they do it. It's all love in the thrift universe. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2012

2. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

The Magli's that I posted earlier had a bit 'o damage to one of the heels, so since I was already picking up some stuff from my shoe guy, I took them in...
    Before (blinded by the deal, never saw this in the thrift shop):
    [​IMG]
    After: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For a $5 pair of shoes, and a $6 fix/clean of the pair while I waited, this makes abed less evil, more happy.

Also found Zegna in the wilds of Marshalls. So it's not just a myth after all... Unstructured and a nice navy weave up close.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This wasn't even at the nice Marshalls. Now I need to go check that one out tomorrow.

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You mean I should have been buying Corneliani, Samuelsohn, Canali, and Zegna too?! :stirpot:

So yesterday I thrift a pair of shoes during lunch... and then let them bake in my truck all day. Strong shoe smell was lingering :( Today I received a cedar shoe rack in the mail at lunch and let that bake in. Good smell in truck restored :)

4. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Forget it, don't answer my question. I'm sure some smart-ass is standing by, perusing For Sale threads ready to pounce on someone who makes a mistake identifying a label. I'll find out from him.

In the meantime, I'm always willing to give regular contributors a good deal. There are one or two people here that can back that up.

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

[​IMG]. "Other people's marinated foot smell" has to top the list of things more horrific than death.

6. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

+1... exactly :nodding:

7. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

on the off chance that you're interested in being a part of this community rather than just selling your item for as much as possible and then moving on with your life, i will explain what everyone is trying to say.

1. go to ebay
    2. do a search for COMPLETED listings to see how much your shoes ACTUALLY sell for on ebay (hint: green numbers = successful sale; red numbers = nobody paid what the seller was asking)
    3. based on your research in #2, come to a number that you think is a "normal" price for those used shoes
    4. divide that number by 2. that is your "hookup price"
    5. sell your shoes to a regular poster here for the "hookup price", preferably someone who is likely to return the favor in the future, when they find something desirable in your size

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

I pass up USA made one's almost every time I head out. Who makes the good ones? (hahha, noob question)

10. timclubmaster

timclubmaster Member

actually I did do the research, and could not really find anything, thus I came here.

11. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

LOOK AT MY SIGNATURE YOU FOOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to be honest, i don't think corneliani PRL actually sells for very much on ebay, but if you found a piece in a good size and brought it here, i'm sure you'd make someone very happy.

12. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I don't see that many Corneliani jammers, I would pick those up. I just don't see the cachet to RL stuff below the Purple Label level...maybe I just put my blinders on after running through so many full cut casual PRL shirts.

Quote: No, that's awesome. I don't respond to every post I think is cool. I kopped Quoddy's at a thrift store for $10, cleaned 'em up, and flipped 'em for $70 even though they were pretty worn.

Mine are a collab with the London men's store Albam, certainly nothing you'll ever see in a thrift store. Maybe 200 pairs of these were made.

13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

no offense but there is tons of legit Gucci sold on ebay and if you had done so you would realize that asking $300+ for those shoes is beyond ludicrous. read what mexi said...

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

The one in Mexi's post above is Corneliani-made. You can tell these because they are typically seen with halos floating above them and angel wings on either side of the jacket.

Jk, they tend to have a more natural shoulder, pick stitching, and their SCs tend to show up in nicer and more distinctive colors and patterns IMO. Look for a small "made in Italy" badge anywhere at the neck or down at the bottom of the jacket inside the lining, or just look for the content label Mexi posted above.

15. eazye

eazye Senior member

I can attest that those PRL cords by Corneliani I found the other day were by far the best cords I've ever handled, I've never seen USA made suits or jackets that have had tags like those. Usually just the USA union tag. We are still talking about PRL made in the USA suits, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.