The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

This is spot on. Also, consider the market you are selling in; most decent "vintage" bikes in good condition will do well in a college town or areas with a hipster population.

Sheldon Brown has a good introduction to old bikes. There are also sites out there with archives of old catalogs. Finally, the gents over at the classic and vintage section of Bikeforums are also a helpful resource.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

That. Is. HILARIOUS!

Yeah, +1. I've done my share of thespy stuff; I'm really interested to learn more. Also, as I learned with painful consequence: theater makeup can be REALLY hard to remove from clothing. Trashed plenty of my own shirts that way. (Ironically, mostly Abboud, which I thought was a tragedy at the time. Then again, they were free since a fam member worked for the co, so....) So if they want to give you shirts rather than sacrifice your own, go for it. Don't even get me started on how many dry cleanings it took to get all the glitter out of the black suit I wore as Oberon in a modernist interpretation of Midsummer Night's Dream. :cloud:

3. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

If anyone comes across some interesting cheap scarves, let me know! They would be for my dog (an Airedale), so obviously quality doesn't really matter. I've been looking for plaids/tartans/madras and paisley. The bigger square scarves (I'm not even sure, but maybe 21"?) seem to be the best as far as size is concerned.

Thanks for any help!

4. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

5. eazye

eazye Senior member

It took almost an entire day, but I now have 95% of my back-stock listed on ebay. Come next week I won't have to look at the giant pile of luxury menswear anymore that has been cluttering up my living room. As someone who is a little OCD, it's been haunting me in my dreams:) I've also now come to the realization that if I want that summer weight, unstructured, soft shouldered, plaid blazer, and those wingtip boots I've been lusting after, I'm going to have to buy them outright either on B&S or on the bay. Sooooo, I will be cleaning out my closet in the next few days. If anybody needs any shoes, get at me. I'll also be unloading a bunch off Woolrich parkas and rain jackets and the like. Sorry for the spam post.

6. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Hey eazye, you got some nice stuff. Why don't you include a link to your eBay store in your signature?

7. eazye

eazye Senior member

I actually don't have a store anymore. I had one but then fell out the thrifting game for a minute and closed it down.

On another note, heres my cheeeep seersucker esque blazer I picked up the other day, fresh from the cleaners. I want to swap out the cheap plastic and put something a little different on there. I was thinking of going crazy and doing brown leather covered buttons, but that might be too much. What do you guys think? mother of pearl? Gold, silver?
    [​IMG]

8. eazye

eazye Senior member

Sorry, I want to replace the "buttons"

9. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

White/cream MOP or maybe some light brown horn like these. I have gotten some nice white/cream MOP from a SF seller and I got the light brown horn from Benno's Buttons.
    [​IMG]

10. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

11. david4991

david4991 Active Member

You are actually who I thought of when I saw it :rotflmao: All of the PRL's were in the 40-44 range, but I don't remember the exact size of this one. All the suits were $500, including this three piece. Shoot me a PM, I can try and stop by this evening, otherwise it wouldn't be until Tuesday when I get back in town.

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I will resist the temptation to buy your stuff. Also, hate to be a downer, but if my experience is any guide, that pile will only reduce itself by 30% at a time. Unless you set your auctions at 99 cents no reserve, some of the stuff won't sell and it will have to be relisted. Just hope it goes faster than you replenish it with new finds. Also, I think what DeadBoy meant was let us know what your ebay handle is so we can track your sales. Also, will you offer it to SFers (not me of course, because I've quit and can quit anytime I want to) at a reduced price, since it will save you fees?

As for the seersucker, my vote is MOP. I think it'd look killer.

13. concealed

concealed Senior member

Here's a link to his auctions. EazyE

14. eazye

eazye Senior member

Hahaha, yea, I already went out yesterday, but only to drop stuff off at the donation center (and pick up a thing or two (for myself of course:)). I will most definitely offer if cheaper to sf members! And yes I think MOP it is, does anybody have an extra set they would want to sell a brother? Otherwise I'll be forced to hunt down a pair myself.......muhahahaha <-evil laugh

15. eazye

eazye Senior member

And this: if it doesn't sell, it's going back to the thrift store. I've already made my money back and still have a couple days till all the auctions are over. I look at it this way, if I can break even and still have a closet full of kick ass clothing, I've done something right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.