Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Picked up these Quoddy x Albam Grizzly boots from SF member mbalder2 for a song. Sick, supple Horween leather, stout laces, baby soft inside and out. I'm apparently the third owner of them and they will hopefully stick with me through many resolings in the future!

[​IMG]

2. Loudscout

Loudscout Member

Well played!

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

I showed my girlfriend and she was drooling... That should be good for 6 months of thrifting without complaints for you.

4. mainy

mainy Senior member

One just like it sold on ebay for 120 so if worse comes to worse i'll just unload it there :slayer:

5. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

That's amazing.

6. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Any idea what English maker would have made this 100% wool tie for Wilkes Bashford?

[​IMG]

Also, anyone know anything about Lanvin ties? This obviously isn't the 80's licensed crap. I know that once Lanvin took control of their product back, they started making ties in France. However, this is made in Italy and has a different label than the France ones. Is this the stuff that they currently sell in Barney's/etc?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

pnut...I'm thinking you may be missing what's going out there with these...if these are anywhere close to original with fenders and such, these are so in demand right now. An easy 125 to 150 cleaned up on craigslist. Town bikes are very hipster right now.

You are spot on with the other info tho...great knowledge there!

Last edited: May 9, 2012

8. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Thanks, man. I agree on the sleeves.

I'm actually 5'11" and not happy about it. My entire life my doctor told me I'd grow up to be well above 6 feet. I was somewhere around 5'5"-5'6" in 5th grade. Hit my last growth spurt in high school and stopped just shy of 6 feet. :\

Already been said, but it is an Aquascutum.

English made Aquascutum. It's awesome.

Thanks bro!

Thanks! :)

:slayer:

Thanks again, man! This thing really does rock.

+1. The other advice was spot-on, but the hipsters drink these up like Starbucks lattes.

9. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I obviously am not up to speed. IIRC, the Sprite sold in three, five and ten-speed versions over the years, all of them thoroughly looked down upon by bike snobs such as myself. Then again, a decent vintage Stingray is worth more than my 1980 Colnago, which I created by stripping my 1977 Raleigh Pro and selling that frame for $175. That bike would be worth at least two grand today. And I should never have gotten uppity and converted my PX10 to full Campy. OTOH, the Peugeot is a much better bike with Campy than plastic Simplex and center-pull brakes. I'd do it all over again.

10. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Anybody know who makes the Johnston & Murphy Italian made shoes?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. mainy

mainy Senior member

12. Broder

Broder Well-Known Member

It sure looks like it's Corneliani. I really like the spring jacket by Mackintosh. Great finds!

I found some sweaters and a cardigan by Alan Paine yesterday and one of them made me laugh a little, it had the Schwarzkopf logo printed (what do you say?) on it. Does anybody know anything more?

Last edited: May 10, 2012

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I'm down 300+ posts so I'll never catch up. This TV show gig has taken all of my available time and this thread kills the battery in my phone. I managed to sneak into one store yesterday and picked up a bengal stripe Lands End Direct Merchandise OCBD in my size. I took some pics of some wide V2 Versace ties but haven't been able to upload them to poke at Spoo with.

I had to wear a Joseph Abboud shirt from Wardrobe in one scene on Tuesday rather than my own Ike Behar that I much preferred. You just never know what they're going to put the principal actors in and it's hard to bring so many shirts every day. I DID get to wear my own BR cords and my green paisley Polo tie.

Aww....poor Dig.

BTW...the wardrobe people keep nixing the gray/blue stuff and tell me that olive/tan/earth tones look much better on me. I give up.

15. vexco

vexco Senior member

TV show gig? What's up with that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.