The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

Grabbed 2 pairs of BB flat fronts for me to diversify my color selection. Unfortunately only 1 of them will be serviceable :/.

On the topic of Bruno Magli ... I grabbed these but didnt fully realise the damage on toes. Worth messing with or should they be dumpster bound?
    [​IMG]

Also grabbed these this evening - K Shoes Made In England. Nothing special - UK8 ~US8.5? ... oops?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ridiculous SC - Awesome Details

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also picked up that navy tie in the pic for this weekend. now its time to learn to tie a damn proper dimple >,<.

also grabbed tihs Dooney & Bourke All Weather Leather
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Been having somewhat a run of luck with shoes, not the least of which is SA's new policy of not writing prices on the shoes in any way, shape or form. Instead, they are using small adhesive price tags put inside the shoes where they cause...no damage at all. Sweet Jesus.

Didn't find any cool shoes at SA today, but I did find the below things today and yesterday at GW, everything available:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a tiny bit of damage :

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And, because there are some cyclists among us, thought I'd include this, Bontranger label but really a San Marco, made in Italy and super light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I would think if you could pack the toe either tight with paper or have a long enough shoe tree...then condition the heck out of them after a couple weeks they'd pop out.

4. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ I have these EXACT shoes in both colorways in 11 B. I like them a lot and get compliments fairly often when I wear the burgundy / red ones. I paid $6 for those at a Christian charity thrift store and I bought the black ones off of eBay for $15 or $17 plus shipping.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I think the rule of thumb is knock off $20 for each hole....yea that one is pretty well bitten up, so my $200+ idea was for something with a hole (maybe 2) that could be overlooked by a "great deal". idk what to tell you on that one to be honest. $9.99 NR auction may be the way to go.

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

nvmind, I'll leave it to those better suited.

7. mainy

mainy Senior member

yo bike guys picked up 2 raleigh bikes today, sprite and sprite 27, one is a mans bike other is a womans. both are in great shape well cared for totally rideable brooks seats, made in england, 70 bucks for both IE 35 each. overpay or good deal or market value?

8. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Piicked up a NWOB pair of Alan McAffee tassel loafers today, size 10 D, along with a NWOT Trafalgar cortina leather belt. Anyone know when McAffee went belly up?

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

you nailed it.

Those Alaias will kill it.

+1

10. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Thanks, all for the feedback on the hermes. I may be on a fake hermes tear, lol.

Here's a closeup of the tie and one of the buttons on the shirt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. david4991

david4991 Active Member

Hit up the local Nordstrom Rack and Marshall's today. The Rack had a good bit of Zegna/Talbott ties for $50ish, and some decent Samuelsohn, Hickey Freeman and Canali sport coats. Nothing at thrift prices obviously, so just went to browse. All of the following pictures were from the Marshall's next door:

Kiton 100% Cashmere Suit (around a 44 if I remember correctly)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zegna 15milmil15 Tuxedo
    [​IMG]

A lot of PRL (Made in Italy) sport coats, winter suits, and a seerucker, including an extremely nice 3 piece. 40-42R/L's. Took a couple pics $500/ea
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saw my first Sartoria Partenopea
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Add in a nice Brioni sport coat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not pictured are a good bit of other PRL, EZ, Samuelsohn, HF, Boss, BB, etc.

12. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Umm Wow, I need to be making a trip to H Town!

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

I find it personally disturbing (for my future financial well-being) that I saw that Kiton 100% cashmere, then saw the price tag and thought "yeah, that's a good price. I could swing that"

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I remember seeing this suit at the time and thinking "ooh, baby, if you were only a 42R, I'd do nasty, nasty things to you." +1 on all the comments re: how badass those thrift fit pics look (though also agree about the sleeves).

No foot fetish here, but even I would have dirtyfilthy$ex with some of those shoes. Those Lanvins in particular....

That's not just an ordinary BBGF. That's Martin Greenfield hand tailored BBGF. Nice find.

Big +1. So much stuff in here that's nice and in my size.

Already fell off the wagon today. Thanks to the guy who tipped on this Ebay. This is Gieves OTR for USA with the Hickey Freeman tag. Still (imho) worth $35 shipped for fully canvas cashmere in a nice color. We'll see how it fits...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251055696569?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

15. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

You probably overpaid, but the saddles could make it a killer deal if they are the "right" kind of Brooks, i.e., Brooks Pro or B17. Really hard to say without pix. Brooks Pros are easy to spot because they have "Professional" embossed in the leather. B17s are also fairly easy, once you get the hang of it. Here's a link:

http://www.woolyswheels.com/shopping/index.php?manufacturers_id=95

In the future, when you buy a vintage bike, you are generally looking for frames made out of either Reynolds 531 tubing:

http://www.superbunnys.com/__zeus2000/decal-02.html

Or Columbus tubing (scroll down a bit, this website has both Reynolds and Columbus decals pictured as you'll likely see them in the wild):

http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSp...AINT_OR_NOT/PAINT_OR_NOT_3_Original_Value.htm

Generally speaking, any vintage steel-framed bicycle that is not made out of either Columbus or Reynolds isn't worth buying. There are, of course, exceptions, notably Japanese bicycles that are made of of chrome moly--they'll have decals, too, with Ishiwata tubing being the best known. But any Japanese bike that has a decal denoting double-butted (that part is important) chrome moly is, generally, worth picking up if it's south of $50.

There are exceptions, of course. There are a fair number of terrible bikes with fabulous Brooks seats on them because someone somewhere along the way had no idea what they were doing. But, if you stick with Columbus/Reynolds for all bicycles built outside Japan, you'll do fine. Japanese, double-butted chrome moly tubing.

One last thing: If you find a vintage bicycle with Campagnolo components, you should, generally speaking, buy it. Campy made a few crappy low-end components, so look for the words Record, Nuovo Record or Super Record on the components--if a bicycle has Campy Super Record, Nuovo Record or even Record, you should buy it.

That should be enough to get you started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.