Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Such an open ended question without any more details.....like what was the ebay item number so we can see the listing. Is it mentioned, are there pictures, what does it say, etc etc etc. Then you can get some real responses....but that looks pretty deep to me.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I have a huge inventory right now! I got really caught up in buying when I first started about a month ago. It's slowly starting to trickle out, but until I get it to a manageable level, I'm trying to be much more selective with what I pick up.

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I guess I should thank pnutpug for these SIZE LARGE ITALIAN BEAUTIES, JUST DRY CLEANED, SO CRISPY, OMG!, just hanging out there on the racks this morning when I popped-in to retrieve the BB bow ties I saw a few days earlier...

Alas, the bow ties were gone. Soz broz :embar:

Shirts to hit B&S or sail off to thrift bros for filthy, filthy lucre.

4. GHo

GHo Senior member

[​IMG]

5. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I picked up a dark green knit tie last night, 70% wool 20% alpaca 10% some other wool. Didn't see a maker tag but made in England. Hopefully one of you guys can use it, pm me :)

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow! Is this available??

:confused:

The older HF stuff feels like garbage compared to the recent stuff to me. +1 on the bigger sizes being a better sale as well. Bigger guys on the bay seem to really love HF and BB.

Whoa, you found and passed on some BB bow ties too? I'm going back today to see if the ones I left are still there, but I hightly doubt it. Big mistake made on my part.

Last edited: May 9, 2012

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

What does size large measure out to?

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I was a victim of what I've just decided to call Thrift Relativity: that utter lack of urgency caused by an armful of Italian ties. Another day, I might've seen fit to grab 'em...
    :foo:

Looks like a pretty standard large to me. The non-button down is tagged '16', the other just 'L'.

Last edited: May 9, 2012

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

Ah, gotcha... I did the same and I'm just starting to dig out again. If you see good condition not-too-dated looking HF suits and you want to proxy let me know [​IMG]

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What size? Might have something for you already :)

11. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

You were right that they were both Borelli (one R) and crap. I found a mint Brioni shirt and then a nice Borrelli shirt 2 minutes before seeing the shoes and thought it all came from the same owner. I did bring home a few ties and a couple of pocket squares though.

Do you know what time it is?! It's crappy iPhone picture time!

[​IMG]
    Paisley galore! L to R Hugo Boss, Lehner (Swiss), Adonis (Austrian)

[​IMG]
    Wool ties, both local Austrian shops

[​IMG]
    I picked these up due to their price and labels. I know, some shit you should leave behind, but I think that one day I will meet an avid hunter that needs a Zegna, mallard duck, 4" tie (R) or that Lanvin number (L).

[​IMG]
    This is the Borrelli (39 not yet available, but may be at a later date)

[​IMG]
    Brioni that I'm pretty sure is NWOT, also a 39 (again, might be available at some point)

Finally, I was excited to see this...

[​IMG]

It's the old label Burberrys, but I'm fairly certain it was bought, sleeves shortened and put away. I'm pretty sure it's real due to the local tag inside. Pockets still basted and you probably can't tell but it's a dark tartan pattern. It fits me everywhere but the sleeves. It's the first piece of clothing that I'll actually have to have the sleeves let out if at all possible. I'm not crazy about the buttons though, they are the prorsum knight (?). Does that have any significance as far as the quality goes? It's certainly a well-made jacket, but it was made in Germany rather than England. I did find that a bit disconcerting.

Passed on a few items including a black Escada tie with blue/green elephants. Great looking tie actually, but I wasn't sure I'd wear it.

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

Well, a 41R, but I really meant for me to flip if you're too busy [​IMG]

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

There's a kind-of-dated gold trumpeter I keep passing up. Just found the pants for the first time yesterday too to complete the suit. Black with subtle blue stripe.

14. eazye

eazye Senior member

Today:
    Heavy ass Harris Tweed. Patch pockets, single vent. No size tag but it's big on me so maybe like a 42?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lands End Charter Collection plaid wool blazer. Made in the USA. Pretty good pattern matching. Size 40 R. Most likely available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mackintosh style wool trench by Sartor. Made in England! Hidden placket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Victorian tails! Looks completely hand made. I didn't even try this one at the store, I just shoved it into my cart, (when am I ever going to need this kind of formal wear). But I got it home and it fits pretty damn well. The sad thing is, I've been wanting a tailcoat for a while now. Why? Who knows, same reason I wanted a Chesterfield. Anyways, besides some minor lining issues, this thing is in really great shape! Buttons appear to be iron?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And as promised, my non-formal, Bijan, tuxedo shirt, thrift fit pic.
    [​IMG]
    And also, fuck it, why not.
    [​IMG]
    Of course, I don't have the proper tie or waistcoat, but you get the idea:)

15. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

After sitting in a conference room in Miami for three days, I made a GW stop on the way home from the airport. And I'll probably go out again in a few hours.

Does Bobby Jones Woven in Italy count as good Bobby Jones? Who cares, really? It's awesome and fits me. Now I just need a pumpkin harvest or hayride festival or something.

[​IMG]

And Mr. Spoo ..... Help. I assume this is old and not worth much, but it's pretty rad.

[​IMG]

And I realize now I shouldn't have picked this up, even for $5, because I'm sure as shit not going to wear it, and ebay seems to have no love for Armani Exchange.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.