Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Even I knew those were church's :plain:

What's a size 20? (Don't want it, just not familiar with that sizing)

2. Chill Dude 22

Chill Dude 22 Member

I just picked up a pair of Church's tassel loafers, and I'm looking for a little help. I can't make heads or tails of the sizing. It looks like it says "110" so I'm not sure if they are a 10 or an 11. Any input would be appreciated. Also available if anyone is interested.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

You're in the right here, but still, this is an example of why I prefer to do business outside eBay. I have so many clothes that it really doesn't matter whether I get it this week or next week. I generally try to get stuff out within three days, but I'm not perfect, and if you miss the mark by a day or two on eBay, get ready for crappy feedback from folks who must...have...it...right...now. It is especially heart-warming when I get "Where's my stuff?" messages four days after receiving payment from people who took two weeks to pay. Even outside eBay, people expect FedEx service for stuff they're getting for a song. I sold a couple shirts last Sunday. Shipped them Tuesday. On Thursday, sure enough, I had a PM from the buyer: Where are my shirts? Dude, you got two Robert Talbott dress shirts in perfect condition for $15, shipped, and I enclosed a third for free that I stumbled across while packing up the first two.

Sorry for the rant. Guess I'm full of nervous energy waiting for post time at the Derby. Go, I'll Have Another.

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Last post today, I swear, but...

I just had someone buy one thing, then make a low, low offer on about three other items that were already heavily discounted. I said politely, three times, I didn't anticipate lowering the price unless I got really desperate....so the buyer asked me to hold off on shipping for a couple weeks to determine whether I would become desperate -- at which point I should mail him all four items at the super-lowball price. :eh:

From now on, I'm just gonna say....no.

Last edited: May 5, 2012

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Ha. Clearly tell him to fuck off and ship the original item.

6. plei89

plei89 Senior member

LOL, so he paid for the first item and told you hold off on shipping?

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Yeah, on the off-chance I required a lengthy hospitalization or something, I guess...? :facepalm:

8. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Thrifting is pretty much on hold. Just the occasional recent Isaia suit here and there.

I'm posting some wares to the B&S though... [​IMG]

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

About annoying sellers...

Seller: I saw you were interested in this shirt. The p2p measures X inches.
    Me: Too small sorry.
    Seller: Oh you know what, it actually measures closer to X+1 inches and is very stretchy.

Sorry but I don't want to get stuck with the same sizing mistake you had :brick:

Thrift addiction is getting bad. Was driving to Walmart to pick up some oil and happened past a goodwill... couldn't resist the urge to stop.

Also, I'm one of those once a week shippers. Why does the post office staff the absolute SLOWEST guy to work on Saturday when they are busy? He just moves so slow, line almost out the door, and he never has any urgency. The one time I went during the weekday the woman that helped me was so much faster and more competent.

Last edited: May 5, 2012

10. concealed

concealed Senior member

The post office doesnt have any money left to pay quality employees, since all those bastards steal the Tyvek sleeves!!!

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Are Edward Green captoes worth picking up for $3? Dumb question, but there is a penny sized hole worn right through the sole. Leather in good condition though, just a hole to spoil the shoes. Looks like someone used it for target practice, but woulda figured a bullet would leave an exit wound on the leather as well. How does a hole go right through the sole?

12. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

buy your postage online:

https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-flat.htm

print it out at home. then, just drop the packages off in the self-payment kiosk.

it is cheaper and saves tooooons of time.

you can even schedule at-home pickup to avoid having to go to the post office

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Don't have a printer :confused: should thrift one...

14. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

well, if you consider that printing online saves you a minimum of .25 per package, plus probably 10-15 minutes of time, purchasing a printer will very rapidly pay for itself.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Easy fix. As long as one of your packages is shipped either priority or international, the mail carrier will pick it up at you house for free. Even up to 1/2 mile away( I think). Just go to www.USPS.Com to schedule a pickup. You may have to open an account (free) to do it. You can also order free supplies while you are there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.