• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

acosbysweater

Reaction score

Went to two GW's today and two new to me shops yesterday. A whole bunch of nothing. There would be nothing to hold the roofs of the GW's up if someone took all the Van Heusen and Dockers away.

I needed to cleanse my eyes from yesterday, so I decided to go over to what was The Block (now the outlets at Orange). I knew they had a new Rack, as well as an Off 5th. What I didn't know was that there was also a NM Last Call too. Last Call = Wood from brand name recognition... Kiton, Brioni, tons of ISAIA, Eton... I need not explain, as you all already probably know. But for me, this was nuts.

Newb tip from a newb - Track down a Last Call if you have one nearby, and get ready to learn. Great low pressure retail environment to look at the clothes everyone in this thread talks about/covets finding. Feel the difference in material between a cashmere ISAIA sc and something lesser (though at this shop, lesser means $1500 retail instead of $2400). Look at the examples of pick stitching in front of you. See and feel what good shell/mop buttons are all about. Hold a Brioni tie and soak in what makes it different than run of the mill ties. Overall, learn what quality actually feels/looks like.

I often go into the real deal NM and during this most recent visit oogling the summer wares from Loro Piana and Cucinelli, I had a half hour conversation with one associate about his time working at record stores and collecting obscure records (a mutual passion). Turns out that if you take it easy and tell them straight up you aren't a baller who can afford $1,500 sport coats no matter how much you save up, they can warm up to you. It's not like there are dozens of people lining up to throw their money at them, so it was probably a welcome diversion.

workthatwedo

Reaction score
So which one of you guys was at the Buckhead Goodwill around 7? Anyone? You had a camel hair Aquascutum DB jacket (moth nibbles -- I passed on it yesterday)

Not I, but I also passed on a moth eaten Aquascutum at another area store recently. Damn the moth!

btatedash

Reaction score

So which one of you guys was at the Buckhead Goodwill around 7? Anyone? You had a camel hair Aquascutum DB jacket (moth nibbles -- I passed on it yesterday) and you might have also picked up that Sander orphan that had a small run in the lapel.

Anyone?

And as a side note, it is awkward as hell figuring out how to ask someone if you know them from an online forum.

That was me. I assume you're the guy who asked if you knew me? Why'd you pass on the T&A shirt?

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, but that is straight asinine.  Against policy?  Yes.  Theft?  Come on now. 

Theft? Yes, and here's why:

Folks here are addicts. We go to thrift stores like smurfers to Walgreens for meth precursors. We have, if you will, lost perspective. We are in the minority. The average GW shopper sees what the OP saw, employees skimming the best goods, and has an entirely different reaction than folks like us, who flock like proverbial moths to flames in search of epic scores. That's why it is wrong. It causes folks to lose faith. That lost faith costs charities money because it discourages patronage. And that's why there are policies against it, and cameras to enforce that policy (and to prevent shoplifting, to be sure).

I wouldn't be so blunt, but you used the term "asinine." Look in the mirror, dude, and ask yourself what you have become. If you can't understand why this sort of thing is fucked up, then I say, all due respect, that you are fucked up and need a thrift-store intervention to help you understand that GW exists for reasons beyond your being able to wave Brioni in the air and yelp "Yee haw, look what I found!"

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yet another problem that could easily be solved by a thrift thread secret handshake.

I just tap shoppers on the toes from the other side of the rack.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HA! I thought you were workthatwedo.

To be honest, I was tired and running home, and had just come back from a few after-dinner drinks, so I wasn't really in the mood for a flip pick up. And I had to watch the epic Braves game that just ended.

Thrifting in Atlanta sure is crowded ........
That was me. I assume you're the guy who asked if you knew me? Why'd you pass on the T&A shirt?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are making a mountain out of a molehill. My guess: the average GW shopper sees what OP saw, audibly goes "hmm", proceeds not to give a flying ****, then continues on with the rest of their day. I don't think I've lost any sort of perspective. I do this for fun and for the thrill of the hunt. I would have not given a flying **** before I started thrifting seriously if I saw someone breaking a "store policy" by grabbing some **** for themselves (and I certainly wouldn't have seen it as "tantamount to stealing"), and I don't give one now.

Theft? Yes, and here's why:
Folks here are addicts. We go to thrift stores like smurfers to Walgreens for meth precursors. We have, if you will, lost perspective. We are in the minority. The average GW shopper sees what the OP saw, employees skimming the best goods, and has an entirely different reaction than folks like us, who flock like proverbial moths to flames in search of epic scores. That's why it is wrong. It causes folks to lose faith. That lost faith costs charities money because it discourages patronage. And that's why there are policies against it, and cameras to enforce that policy (and to prevent shoplifting, to be sure).
I wouldn't be so blunt, but you used the term "asinine." Look in the mirror, dude, and ask yourself what you have become. If you can't understand why this sort of thing is fucked up, then I say, all due respect, that you are fucked up and need a thrift-store intervention to help you understand that GW exists for reasons beyond your being able to wave Brioni in the air and yelp "Yee haw, look what I found!"

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ This. It's kind of fucked up to say, but your average GW shopper isn't looking for/doesn't really know what "the best stuff" is. The people who lose out most by employees breaking store policy and snagging the good stuff are savvy fashionistas (see: SFers) and flippers (see: SFers). This isn't the execution of some large-scale defrauding of "the little guy" by GW employees we're talking about here.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
^^^^^ This. It's kind of fucked up to say, but your average GW shopper isn't looking for/doesn't really know what "the best stuff" is. The people who lose out most by employees breaking store policy and snagging the good stuff are savvy fashionistas (see: SFers) and flippers (see: SFers). This isn't the execution of some large-scale defrauding of "the little guy" by GW employees we're talking about here.
No way man! That lady with the three teeth, wearing only a baggie t-shirt, and all of the construction boots in her cart looking through the men's section is trying to beat us all to the Brioni. Didn't you know??

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HA! I thought you were workthatwedo.
To be honest, I was tired and running home, and had just come back from a few after-dinner drinks, so I wasn't really in the mood for a flip pick up. And I had to watch the epic Braves game that just ended.
Thrifting in Atlanta sure is crowded ........

LET'S FOCUS, PEOPLE. DID SOMEONE PICK UP THE T&A? IF SO, IS IT A 17X35ISH? ASSUMING YES, PM ME

OK, thanks. As you were.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whelp...my ebay store is officially closed...for vacation. First time I have had zero active kistings in almost 7 years. Feels kinda weird. Don't worry, 50+ Listings scheduled to begin next Monday and Wednesday.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Whelp...my ebay store is officially closed...for vacation. First time I have had zero active kistings in almost 7 years. Feels kinda weird. Don't worry, 50+ Listings scheduled to begin next Monday and Wednesday.

The only time in almost 10 years I didn't have auctions running was when I was on my honeymoon for 2 weeks. VERY weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads