The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

it was a GW, with a hand-off to a non-employee as soon as it left the back; to skirt the rules I'm assuming. I'm not one to rat people out, so I just fumed to myself. Hopefully the thrift gods will balance it out for me.

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1. From what I've heard from friends/volunteers at the local Goodwills, their policy on this is taken very seriously. The Salvation Army is very lenient up here though as well. When I worked there, the "no shopping from the backroom" rule was basically there just to please the customers and the big whigs. Nobody ever really took it seriously at the store. Not even the managers.

3. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Will file this away as useful info to have. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future :nodding: .

Anyway, picked up this Burberry 42S recent charcoal pin striped suit (available) Took these pix when I got home with my crappy cell cam so it doesn't shoe the true color. I would say the waist is a 35 or 36 with 1-2" you can let out. inseam is a 29 with 1.5 more to let out. pants are dble pleated and cuffed, . arms feel short, but I felt some fabric in there to let out. I need to measure those arms:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, this E zegna 16.5/42 shirt. Arms are a little long for me so I'm looking @ getting them shortened.
    [​IMG]

passed on a bunch of zzegna dress shirts and 2-3 pleatalicious zanella slacks

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Thanks. I feel weird going without socks at work... dunno why

5. MattR

MattR Senior member

I'd agree the chest could be brought in a bit. But otherwise, I think this is my favorite outfit of your's to date. The colors are great together. And that natural shoulder :inlove:

Well, aren't we fancy.

I've actually been concerned that this is the reason why my local spots have been real dry the last few months. Granted, I don't know for sure, but I did witness one of the GW clerks grab something and throw it with her bags behind the counter not that long ago. Real shady shit, too.

Last edited: May 2, 2012

6. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Went to two GW's today and two new to me shops yesterday. A whole bunch of nothing. There would be nothing to hold the roofs of the GW's up if someone took all the Van Heusen and Dockers away.

I needed to cleanse my eyes from yesterday, so I decided to go over to what was The Block (now the outlets at Orange). I knew they had a new Rack, as well as an Off 5th. What I didn't know was that there was also a NM Last Call too. Last Call = Wood from brand name recognition... Kiton, Brioni, tons of ISAIA, Eton... I need not explain, as you all already probably know. But for me, this was nuts.

Newb tip from a newb - Track down a Last Call if you have one nearby, and get ready to learn. Great low pressure retail environment to look at the clothes everyone in this thread talks about/covets finding. Feel the difference in material between a cashmere ISAIA sc and something lesser (though at this shop, lesser means $1500 retail instead of $2400). Look at the examples of pick stitching in front of you. See and feel what good shell/mop buttons are all about. Hold a Brioni tie and soak in what makes it different than run of the mill ties. Overall, learn what quality actually feels/looks like.

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I overheard a GW employee telling a customer they weren't allowed to buy while working once. Would definitely be heated if I saw that happening too.

8. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

You would not be ratting anyone out. Really, you would be helping the charity. The folks who donated goods would not approve of this, the folks who are helped by the charity also would not approve and, certainly, the charity itself does not approve. Employees who do this are stealing, really, plain and simple, which is why GW and other reputable charities have such strict rules about it. Follow your conscience, but do not feel like you're snitching out anyone but a common thief if you see this happen at a thrift store. Now, full disclosure, I was waffling on a pair of shoes-for-flipping at a SA recently and decided, OK, I'll buy them. So I took them to checkout and the clerk noted that they would be half-off the following day, why don't you come back. He put them aside, and I picked them up the next day--I don't know his name, don't know him at all except that I go to that store every day and so everyone who works there knows me by sight. I felt conflicted. I saved all of three bucks, still don't feel right about it, especially given that the current Bay bid is $25 with a day left to go. My defense, I wasn't sure at the time that they would be a surefire score.

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Sorry, but that is straight asinine. Against policy? Yes. Theft? Come on now.

Last edited: May 2, 2012

10. workthatwedo

workthatwedo Senior member

I am not seeing that much distinction between someone here buying and flipping vs. an employee at GW or SA doing it. Or maybe the distinction is that most of them could use some extra cash more than most of us.

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

And thus God invented Photobucket. Post to PB -- easy as a multiselect; you can even read the 108 ( :cloud: ) messages you missed while WORKING while the load. Then copy the HTML code under the thumbnail in the album, then post here. Viola.
    This. Is. Win.
    Only thing I'll add to this dead horse is to help illustrate what folks were talking about on the "older" Le Collezioni stuff. Here's a label. [​IMG] The material tag should be green, black and white, and may (or may not) say "Gruppo GFT; GFT SpA" on it. [​IMG]
    Hard for me to pull off short, but I did just part with my black pinstripe. What's the venting situation?

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

Yeah, that's just what mine looks like.

The problem with PhotoBucket is what you'll see if you go back to the beginning of this thread... they don't last that long and the images end up being broken.

13. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

So which one of you guys was at the Buckhead Goodwill around 7? Anyone? You had a camel hair Aquascutum DB jacket (moth nibbles -- I passed on it yesterday) and you might have also picked up that Sander orphan that had a small run in the lapel.

Anyone?

And as a side note, it is awkward as hell figuring out how to ask someone if you know them from an online forum.

14. catside

catside Senior member

Can't hear you! What did you say? I have a thrifting problem? C'mon mate! I can stop any time!

Red Wing Steel Toe bluchers, loafers, hi-tops. Between 7 and 9.5.
    Made in Good Ol' US of A

Finding them: PRICELESS!
    Buying them: MINDLESS!
    What am I going to do with them: CLUELESS!

Of course available. Duh!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Yet another problem that could easily be solved by a thrift thread secret handshake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.