• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie

Reaction score

keep us up to date on this. i want to know what Spoo knows!

Don't we all! Before I knew about this thread and all that I passed on a ton of fugly Versace silk shirts..now since I know about them, haven't see one. Go figure.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Don't we all! Before I knew about this thread and all that I passed on a ton of fugly Versace silk shirts..now since I know about them, haven't see one. Go figure.

I can all but guarantee you they were fake, don't feel so bad.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On Saturday I posted some quick crappy photos of thrifted Lobbs and Bontonis. I wanted to show the shoes again after two days of trees, an application of Saphir Renovateur, followed by a very quick and light polish.

Thanks for indulging me.

AHS

With the addition of these photos I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on a spectacular find. Thank you for sharing these further photos. Just beautiful, both pair. :slayer:

GoogleMyYahoo

Reaction score
short story even shorter, i probably overpaid for a flip (the Goodwill in question tends to price a large number of things in that frustrating dead zone between "good deal if i wanted to wear it" and "don't buy that to sell at that price"). No new info about the coat though. Whatever Spoo said in that first post is really all there is to it.

I paid $180 for it, and I only did that because of the return policy. Apparently, $300 would be the upper end of what it would sell for on the bay, so, I don't know what imma do. probly return it.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slow day on the thrift thread. All you somonombatches out scoring Kiton and Lobbs, I bet.

I told myself I wasn't going to go until I had all my back stock posted on ebay.

Huh. Funny. I recently made myself exactly the same promise. In unrelated news, my haul from today is below.

I can all but guarantee you they were fake, don't feel so bad.

And yet, a stunning percentage on the ones that have been posted here have been real. Weird. (Not sarcastic. Truly puzzled. Even after months of reading, no WAY I'd be able to parse true from fake in the wild)

I see you're still looking for Park Aves Brian. Haha

While we're on the subject of inverse-:spam: (i.e., rather than stuff we're SELLING, stuff we're BUYING), a guy at work today convinced me to sell him my chocolate brown nailhead and black pinstripe suits by promising me a tidy profit. So I'm in the market for those now, gents. Prefer flat front, double vent, and RLPL, Isaia or Kiton. Bwahahaha! Also still looking for black wings, black cap toes, black norwegian split toe slip ons and chestnut or walnut brown wings -- all preferably in a more slender profile. OK, classified ad over. Now for the "good" stuff.

Soooo. Apparently inspired by Wes, I found 3 (4? one is double sided) sets of real MOP cufflinks. Two are mine, but the ones with the B, while nice, I can't pull off (unless I convince people my nickname is Brothafromanothamotha) Brianpore?

A couple of Zegna shirts, plus a random Paul Stuart I think I'll keep. Sizes in the 16.5 range. Available.

And then these. All custom made, all Keaton style. All (but one) from the same donor. How do I know? That would be based on the FREAKING MONOGRAMS I FAILED TO NOTICE. Even the one by the different dude has an effing monogram on the sleeve. I plan to try to remove the monograms, but if anyone is initialed JW or PDF (or is a HUGE Adobe fan), lemme know before I start the surgery. "PDF" is Ascott Chang. The others are, I think, Tom James (based solely on the oh-so-conclusive fact that two of the five are Holland & Sherry). Worst case: I can harvest them all for the real MOP buttons. (Oh, also, a few need The method)

Oh, and one summery shirt for the lady in my life.

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, not the usual "thrift fit," but everything was thrifted, eBayed, or traded.  No retail here, sir.

Hat: Vintage walking hat (made in Ireland) - eBay.
Jacket: Vintage 1950's J.C. Higgins hunting jacket (made in USA) - thrifted.
Sweater: Vintage ski sweater (made in Norway) - thrifted.
Shirt: ??? I don't remember and I can't see it. :)
Belt: J. Press brown leather belt (made in USA) - thrifted.
Pants: Prada classic fit jeans (made in Italy) - traded from Buffalo Exchange.
Shoes: Vintage 1960's LL Bean (cursive label) Maine Hunting Shoes (with speed hooks) (made in USA) - eBay.
Socks: Brooks Brothers semi-annual 50% off sale.

Well played sir! Dig the boots.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
etho781 is my seller name. Please excuse any and all crappy photos.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
i know a JW .. my brother :D who coincidentally just graduated business skool. what size are they?
Slow day on the thrift thread. All you somonombatches out scoring Kiton and Lobbs, I bet.
Huh. Funny. I recently made myself exactly the same promise. In unrelated news, my haul from today is below.
And yet, a stunning percentage on the ones that have been posted here have been real. Weird. (Not sarcastic. Truly puzzled. Even after months of reading, no WAY I'd be able to parse true from fake in the wild)
While we're on the subject of inverse-
spam[1].gif
(i.e., rather than stuff we're SELLING, stuff we're BUYING), a guy at work today convinced me to sell him my chocolate brown nailhead and black pinstripe suits by promising me a tidy profit. So I'm in the market for those now, gents. Prefer flat front, double vent, and RLPL, Isaia or Kiton. Bwahahaha! Also still looking for black wings, black cap toes, black norwegian split toe slip ons and chestnut or walnut brown wings -- all preferably in a more slender profile. OK, classified ad over. Now for the "good" stuff.
Soooo. Apparently inspired by Wes, I found 3 (4? one is double sided) sets of real MOP cufflinks. Two are mine, but the ones with the B, while nice, I can't pull off (unless I convince people my nickname is Brothafromanothamotha) Brianpore?

A couple of Zegna shirts, plus a random Paul Stuart I think I'll keep. Sizes in the 16.5 range. Available.

And then these. All custom made, all Keaton style. All (but one) from the same donor. How do I know? That would be based on the FREAKING MONOGRAMS I FAILED TO NOTICE. Even the one by the different dude has an effing monogram on the sleeve. I plan to try to remove the monograms, but if anyone is initialed JW or PDF (or is a HUGE Adobe fan), lemme know before I start the surgery. "PDF" is Ascott Chang. The others are, I think, Tom James (based solely on the oh-so-conclusive fact that two of the five are Holland & Sherry). Worst case: I can harvest them all for the real MOP buttons. (Oh, also, a few need The method)

Oh, and one summery shirt for the lady in my life.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Button harvest.

:teach:

Similar dilemma -- got a little overeager and grabbed some Armani/Burberry London shirts. Are these worth a few weeks' time on B&S? They're certainly nice...just wondering if I should save time and trick out my beater shirts with dem baller one-inch pearl buttons.

Now I suppose it's back to read the 100 new posts since two hours ago... :facepalm:

Last edited:

951socal

Reaction score
i found a Zegna belt blank today

looks like it was worn once, walked in and recognized the Z font (and i thought thanks styleforum i now can spot zegna from 15 feet away looking into the sun)

its black, has the Z logo going all the way around the belt

and no buckle, it requires one of those belt buckles that go through both ends.

avalible if wanted haha

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you could add a "K" to the JW I'd be good.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That jacket is gorgeous. If that fits a L, Id be tempted to wear it myself. Very real, and probably one of the top leathers Versace made at the time. Dates to right around his death, 1996-1997. Are you selling it?

Realtor: And that concludes the tour of this home for sale, Mr. Spoo. What do you think?
Spoo: We love it! The house is exactly what we've been seeking for over a year. The location is perfect and the schools are a great fit for the Spoosters. We don't even want to look at another home!

How much are you asking?

Car Salesman: And that concludes the test drive of this Ferrari, Mr. Spoo. What do you think?
Spoo: We love it! The car is exactly what we've been seeking for over a year. The color is perfect and the seats are a great fit for the Spoosters. We don't even want to look at another car!

How much are you asking?

Encyclopedia Salesman: And that concludes the presentation of "The Encyclopaedia Britannica", Mr. Spoo. What do you think?
Spoo: We love it! This encyclopedia is exactly what we've been seeking for over a year. The number of letters is perfect and the pages are a great fit for the Spoosters. We don't even want to look at another reference book!

How much are you asking?

chimp%20laughing.gif

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, any idea if this jacket has working surgeon cuffs that need to be opened, or if it is just a nice looking faux job?
Here's that Zegna I found the other day that was already converted. 46R/L Available
It's Navy even though the second half of the photos look gray. I turned the flash off for a closup of the pick stitching and forgot to turn it back on.

The measurements are as follows.
Chest 48"
Waist 46"
Sleeve 26"
Shoulder 20.5"
Length BOC 32"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads