• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Been a little dry around here lately, but did have some good finds from stores I hit on friday and saturday....I'll post some pics of other finds later on when I take pics, but did have a couple of items I could use some help with:

First- Hermes "H" pattern tie- seems to match what the labels should look like as far as I can tell, but real or fake?

Second, picked up 2 pairs of tassel loafers (one burgundy, one black) ,the writing on bottom of insoles has been mostly worn off...indicate Made in England exclusively for ...but cant read who..
Made in England and style size written on inside side, soles (outside) indicate the soles were Made in Italy... searching the forum and google hasnt turned up anything so far--

any ideas?

Hermes tie is awesome and real. Shoes are likely Cheaney. I could be wrong, but pretty sure.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There used to be a really ratty and ugly Salvation army that rarely produces anything i rarely visit.
to my suprise i walked in it it was renovated, nice lighting, nice flooring, new paint, new racks
everything was priced (often times twice and different prices!) but it looked clean.
the prices are ridiculously high shirts average at 15.99, they had an Xbox (first one) marked at 149.99, and a pair of ray bans from the early 80's at $125.
but it was nice, i'll visit it more often and hopefully start catching mark downs/deals

those prices.....

It sounds like they are pricing shirts that cost $20 new for $15 :laugh:

I was looking at an xbox on eBay, BIN was under $100!

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Co-worker thrifted this awesome (and recent) Samuelsohn jacket for me a few weeks ago. Silk/wool, Holland and Sherry fabric perfect for summer. Unfortunately, a little small for me (marked a 43L, but check measurements) so it is AVAILABLE.

Shoulders: 20
Chest: 46
Sleeve: 26.5
Length: 32

single vented

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That thing is very cool :fonz: but wouldn't fit me.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decent stuff today.

Burberry suit, Burberry SC, Burberry SC

Burberry jacket (solid navy; likely orphan), Brooks Bros SC, Brooks Bros SC

The Burberrys are all super recent with the most recent HF-made label (except the suit), and the labels are pristine white/possibly NWOT/NOS.

My first time finding anything RLPL ever!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Got it home only to realize there's a pretty sizable stain on the front.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

I'm hoping the stain will come out with some cleaning :-/. The tie is dark enough that it might be passable even if it doesn't come out fully.

Would love some help with these - Lucchese wingtips. I remember someone mentioning that they make great boots, and their boots seem to fetch a hefty sum, but I seriously can't find any evidence anywhere that they make dress shoes.
puzzled.gif
. Seriously, all of the results are for boots, boot-like shoes, or a very occasional loafer. Can't find any evidence that they make dress shoes. Too weird. They seem nicely made and have Vibram soles, but otherwise, don't really know what to think of them.

Finally...

Lol, considering the "JC Penny" label, my guess is this is fake (and even if real, very old), but I just had to know. Seems nice enough, and I actually like the pattern, so I'll probably keep it and rock it regardless.
peepwall[1].gif

And for undisputed "thrift stores have lost they damn mind" winner for the week...

That is a used. Short sleeved. Lacoste. Polo. Shirt.

When I saw the price it was so ludicrious I wasn't even mad. I just LOL'd and kept walking.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That versace tie looks very uneven at the tip. Did Versace ever do the same licensing thing that YSL and Christian Dior did?

And :lol: at the lacoste polo. That's more than it was new probably.

GHo

Reaction score
Guys - found this nice Gitman Bros red gingham shirt, but it's sized 10.

Any ideas if this is a women's or kids? p2p is 22.5, so it has to be women's, right? I'm just a bit confused as ebay has no Gitman Bros. in women's.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any idea what those NOS french shriner shoes I found are worth? I've gotten a few offers so far but am really unsure, I guess I could always put them on Ebay. PM me if you have any thoughts. Also, since this is the bragging thread:

syFml.jpg

ijF77.jpg

Qt3bp.jpg

FmEmX.jpg

aL2FK.jpg

2v1rb.jpg

and a lil attolini
LEm8q.jpg

G6MHq.jpg

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
sexy RLPL tie. size on burberry suit? available?
Decent stuff today.

The Burberrys are all super recent with the most recent HF-made label (except the suit), and the labels are pristine white/possibly NWOT/NOS.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

I'm hoping the stain will come out with some cleaning :-/. The tie is dark enough that it might be passable even if it doesn't come out fully.

Would love some help with these - Lucchese wingtips. I remember someone mentioning that they make great boots, and their boots seem to fetch a hefty sum, but I seriously can't find any evidence anywhere that they make dress shoes.
puzzled.gif
. Seriously, all of the results are for boots, boot-like shoes, or a very occasional loafer. Can't find any evidence that they make dress shoes. Too weird. They seem nicely made and have Vibram soles, but otherwise, don't really know what to think of them.

Finally...

Lol, considering the "JC Penny" label, my guess is this is fake (and even if real, very old), but I just had to know. Seems nice enough, and I actually like the pattern, so I'll probably keep it and rock it regardless.
peepwall[1].gif

And for undisputed "thrift stores have lost they damn mind" winner for the week...

When I saw the price it was so ludicrious I wasn't even mad. I just LOL'd and kept walking.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, suit is 42R, Burberry SCs are all 46L, Brooks SCs are 44R. Everything but the RLPL & "Versace" is tentatively available...awaiting a few people with dibs.

sexy RLPL tie. size on burberry suit? available?

Last edited:

highlifeman

Reaction score
I have found a few of these. Basically the woven Hermes have the H tipping and the woven watermark on the tail. The printed ties have plain tipping and the usual serial number on the tail. Always had good luck on ebay with those. Nice find!

Thanks, wcl!

Hermes tie is awesome and real. Shoes are likely Cheaney. I could be wrong, but pretty sure.

Thanks, Spoo! Appreciate it.

Decent stuff today.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

puzzled.gif

Finally...

peepwall[1].gif

Nice haul, Androfan! Don't know if you even bothered to look at the tag, but most Lacoste's I run across appear to be fake to me by about a 3 to 1 margin....crazy that they would charge that much for something that might not even be real, I think brand new is about $75......

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I usually check to see if they're fake too and many/most are (I know some of the tells, not all of them though). Didn't on this one because the price was so insane it wasn't even worth looking at other than to take a pic.

Thanks, wcl!

Thanks, Spoo! Appreciate it.

Nice haul, Androfan! Don't know if you even bothered to look at the tag, but most Lacoste's I run across appear to be fake to me by about a 3 to 1 margin....crazy that they would charge that much for something that might not even be real, I think brand new is about $75......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads