1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Wow, we've more than doubled over there since yesterday.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Other labels. I think if I can find out when the current label started being used, I will have the dates I need.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  3. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

I don't understand why a new thread is a good thing--especially since it's something that only invited members can access. I think that "leeching" is used in the sense of lurkers stealing thrifting techniques or spots? And the answer's to create a thread for the full-time or hardcore flippers--despite the fact that I can't remember ever seeing anyone share locations (occasionally someone might have admitted to getting friendly with a sorter to get into the back room).

This thread's created and fostered the community of hobbyists that some posters might be trying to turn into a community of career thrifters. There should probably be a forum for guys who do this for a living, but how many of those guys live on this thread?

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG] Three stores recently started letting me do this on a regular basis. All three privately owned, and the owner was the one who offered. They all three, thank me repeatedly, acting like I am doing them a favor by buying some of the stuff out of the back to clear up space.

5. mainy

mainy Senior member

because the moderation here sucks, that's why, it's total BS when good contributing posters are getting banhammered for no reason and people just lurk this thread for bargains and never bother posting anything

6. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

5 to 1 says Mainy gets banned for this comment :lol:

7. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

You might be right with a lot of this, but it sure would be nice to be able to post some finds without being hounded by a bunch of guys with 5 posts who want every measurement on a Brioni shirt, even though they are only willing to pay $15.

At least with a thread with invited members you know its all good guys who aren't trying to get a steal off you.

8. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I've got this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^^ Union Label used between 1949 and 1962.

*** edit ***

PS. Check out this BB wash 'n' wear POW / gray plaid sack jacket that I changed the buttons on yesterday. It went from gray plastic to genuine white MOPs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^^ Replacing the buttons on a navy blue blazer with genuine MOPs gets a lot of play, but I think they look really good on POW / gray plaid as well. [​IMG]

9. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

I just found a 1940s-1950s suit with a different label than this, could anyone repost that link with the label identifications again? TY

10. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I'll bite. In all honesty, what have you posted (no offense intended)? You may have posted quite a bit and I haven't noticed. However, every decent thing I've posted I've gotten a bunch of PMs asking abut sizes and cost. The majority have 3-4 posts to their name and most have never contributed anything to any thread on SF. I send them the info and they never get back to you. Not a thanks or here's what I can trade, etc. Unless you're willing to give ut away, they aren't interested. I'm fairly sure this is what he's talking about.

11. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

This one?

http://www.steelzipper.com/ACWA.html

12. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

I didn't make the cut. I knew I shouldn't have listened to Wes and posted that thrift fit pic. :fu:

13. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ http://www.steelzipper.com/ACWA.html

14. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

nutz that it multiplied almost 10x in 12 years in this real estate mahhhket?

15. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

If it's a good brand = brown tie. That's my Thrift Thesis. I have found, like 20 zegna ties and 18 (exaggeration) were used toilet paper color. Pfft!

Also boyz this ain't a new thread, it's a new SITE catering to thrifties. FOrmer DM7 is launching it. Moderation, etc will be wonky for a while just live with it.

I understand the idea; more tailored to us and don't have to read 400 messages in this thread if you miss 6 hours...and all the dumb side discussions (OBAMA RULES, ROMNEY SUCKS, gun control is awesome, ammo freaks are loonies) will go to their own threads and not pollute this place.

Worst it can do is fail.

16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

17. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

18. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

If it's Brioni, the color is "mocha" or "espresso"...not brown. [​IMG]

I have never found a decent-looking Zegna tie; they have all been incredibly ugly. They must have made some decent ones, but I've never seen them.

19. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

dm7 is such a drama queen

20. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

Good god typhoid. I didn't think you'd be trying to re-sell that j press tuxedo so soon or for 5 fold your money ....:embar:

Good luck and If you do I hope to see a cut :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.