The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

2. npentyl

npentyl New Member

Hello,
    I am new to this forum but am learning alot, so first order of buisiness is to thank all of you gentlemen especially for this thread! As I am flat broke and living hand-to-mouth it seems all I can really do is hope for some thrift store finds, until I land the awesome job. The finds I have encountered so far have been a pair of Allen Edmonds Fairgate black Oxfords with toe cap for $20 brand new at a Goodwill store which fit perfectly! No scuffs on the soles even!
    [​IMG]

I also picked up a Hickey Freeman mainline canterbury suit for $50 which, unfortunately, is 42L (I am more of a 42R) however the pants and sleeves fit just right, I am just a bit concerned that the jacket is too long, as it ends at about my 3rd knuckle. I think I can pull it off, perhaps that is for the suiting critique thread.
    Thankfully to counteract this I did find a $20 Botany 500 charcoal suit 42R which fit me nicely off the rack, perhaps needs to get the pants and sleeves tapered a bit. Perhaps not the best brand but at least I have a working suit I can at least pull off and not feel too self conscious for interviews. I will try to edit my post later with some pix of me in these suits.
    I am currently residing in southern california in Orange county on the edge of Anaheim and was hoping someone could direct me to some thrift stores. I found a Salvation Army store and 2 Goodwill stores, but have the feeling there are some other good ones to try out. So if anyone is interested in sharing a few contacts (and is not a 42R, so not to be scared I am going to steal one of their finds, haha) I would appreciate it.
    Any suggestions and/or advice would be great either on this thread or PM'ed. And please feel free to rate my finds!
    So thanks again and I will try to read ten times as much as I post at least and hope to contribute!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

3. mainy

mainy Senior member

[​IMG]
    not edward green but.... i'd rather find these than 4 pairs of aldens :nodding:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Today is the day that I was findpwned. Congrats man.

5. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

6. troika

troika Senior member

Mainy this is truly outrageous. Are any of those for sale or straight to ebay?

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

To add to the thrift shirt discussion, I rarely find shirts in my size that I like, so I'm almost always willing to trade for nicer shirts. When I say nicer though, I mean even things like J Crew and Brooks Brothers. I find some interesting things (maybe 1 or 2 per week) that aren't in my size and I'm happy to give them up to get a new shirt.

Also, is anyone interested in Gant Chinos? I saw a not-so-cheap pair (maybe €15) yesterday in a pretty bright red, maybe a size 34, I'd have to check again. They were made somewhere in the 3rd world. I'd be happy to proxy them if there is any interest at all.

I also saw something I didn't know existed: Fila seersucker short, made in Italy. They were cotton/poly blend and I didn't think there'd be interest, but I thought it was weird.

I mentioned this as well and I've tried it twice, but it's just a little too big. Size M, shell buttons, mercenized cotton, made in Italy. Let me know if there is any interest:

[​IMG]

8. mainy

mainy Senior member

Hey, everything is for sale, always - rule number 1 of my life. If these fit me, I'd definitely keep at least one pair, because you don't find deadstock unworn shoes from the early 1950's every day. I always prefer to sell stuff here vs Ebay but I will warn, that I gotta get a lot of money for these (think closer to new pair of Allen Edmonds than used pair of Cole Haans).

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

If they happen to be 32 and the hem is <9", I'd be happy to take them :)

Also, minor tie haul, available if you guys are interested
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I tried that site for weeks before I "found" SF. I mean, I talk in circles a lot. These guys make me look clear, concise and direct to the point. I would leave the site wondering WTF. No wonder Brian is having a hard time comprehending. That's because you're normal.

I am sure there's relevant content there just as there is here, and I have found a few relevant/helpful things. And this site I sometimes just can't search out what I want and get pummeled by veterans for repeating a discussion. But damn, hell if I can peel back the onion skin layers of AAAC to find it most of the time.

I live in northern New England, moved form Ohio so this Trad thing was all new to me at one point. The AAAC people are right about Bass weejuns and bean boots. Even non-trad people "love a bahhh-gain" and love of those two particular shoes is pretty constant, passed on through generations, i.e. even the dumb high school kids riding around in the 20 year old civics with HONDA in big Gothic letters across the top of the windshields rock the BEan boots. Even though the weejuns ain't made in Maine anymore

Call me nuts or blasphemous or whatever, but I believe TNSIL (Traditional Natural-Shoulder Ivy League) today doesn't exist, except as an ideal in people's minds here and at AAAC. It did, I am sure back in 1961, but it was probably a loose set of rules then, too, not some dogmatic anal-retentive aethestic that people online -- who were either not yet born or were wee lads in 1961, and who really should buy more Preparation H before sitting in their computer chairs for 15 hours posting at clothing forums -- will correct others for violating. I mean, I go to conferences at the Harvard Club and even the old dudes who have been there for decades "violate" a few of the rules and they look as if they haven't bought new clothes since the Nixon Administration.

That being said, Brianpore, I hope this edumacation in getting your adjectives right helps you sell more stuff. Best of luck.

-------

MAINY nice kicks.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I just peed my pants a little.

12. vexco

vexco Senior member

so THIS is why half the pants i come across have piss stains in them.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

14. concealed

concealed Senior member

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's not my fault. It's the daily DM7 finds and the other ones like MAINY's that are the culprit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.