The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Oh yeah, speaking of TJ Maxx/discount store finds, I saw these last weekend. Not super cheap and nothing my size so I didn't pick up, but definitely the nicest I've ever seen at the discount stores around here, and if they get to yellow tag I might be able to do some proxies if anyone is interested. All Corneliani, all the same price, a variety of fabrics. I remember two were wool/cashmere blends and felt like clouds, another had some silk content, and the silverish one was a blend with some manmade (I presume) fabric that I'd never heard of before but made it super lightweight. Great summer weight suit, actually. The last pic is just because I thought that lining was super cool and had never seen anything like it by Corneliani. It was some sort of viscose "stripe" along the inside with the Cornelaini logo on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

3. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

whoa. some amazing finds.

that polka dot charvet needs to find its way to my closet ASAP. spoo is going to love the others.

im not even going to post my decently decent navy blazer haul.

i did score my first samuelsohn woven in italy very recent 43R

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

You're doing well thrifting in NW Georgia? Whereabouts? I'm from NE Georgia and I find it hard to imagine there being nice clothes out that way.

5. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Didn't Spoo mention traveling to New Jersey a few posts back?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6. concealed

concealed Senior member

Although its kinda beat up, and most of you probably don't know what this is... Bit of a surprise that something from Supreme would end up in a thrift, couldnt say no for a buck

[​IMG]

7. Brianpore

8. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Noob here, wanted to ask you guys about how to make it big in the film business. I hear there's a couch involved?

I've been lurking for a good while now, thought I'd finally say hello. No questions about what's good and what isn't (I've probably read more or less the last 1000 pages or so, maybe skipping a couple hundred here and there just to fast forward). Definitely went through every page from this year so far (figured that would clue me in on the current state of thrifting in terms of prices when flipping, general trends, getting a feel for who's who and what's what). Found other threads with info on shoes, tags, etc and have learned a ton (you mean this Dockers for Brookstone hat that transforms into pants isn't worth hundreds?).

My eyes and hands are a long way from being up to speed, but that should come with time. I'm looking for clothes for myself, and as a big guy, I know finding coats to fit me (US 50L) probably won't be happening any time soon... Or until LA gets a new football team. I'll be moving to the Hollywood/LA area from just south in OC in the next few months, hopefully that'll make this whole thrifting thing more interesting/fun/frustrating. Worry not LA guys, I'm not super hard core into this, just don't have the time, so your finds are somewhat safe. I'd love to find some nice brogues, maybe some neckties, and I am a bit of a bag whore, so those Filsons...

In my earlier thrifting iteration, I was always into shopping for random cool finds at thrift shops (as a photographer, I'm always looking for that $20 Leica or other german/swiss cam). Actually more into hunting for specific Polaroid cameras these days. If any of you find cameras and want any info on them regarding price/actual value/how to use it or see if it's broken, let me know, I'd be happy to help.

My first serious find (to help legitimize this post with some thrift content), and the one that made me realize the possibilities in thrifting, came about ten or so years ago. I decided to check out a smaller shop next door to another that I frequented, looked around finding nothing. I passed the shoe racks and saw a pair that was odd and bright and looked like it'd fit my oafish feet (size 13, feel free to take note [​IMG]). I gave em the once over and decided they looked legit tried them on and they just fit. Price tag $4. Rang up and it was half-off day, so I figured at 2 bucks I couldn't go wrong. Went home, gently cleaned them up, and tried to do some research on them. Couldn't find much.

Here they are, excuse the old crappy photo and horrible staging
    [​IMG]
    They looked like they'd maybe been worn once or twice, and probably only on carpet. Insoles had a terrycloth-like surface. The white nylon faded to a salmon color, which is what ultimately made me sell them, along with them being a bit narrow. On the bay, they ended up selling for $290. As a college student, turning $2 into $290 made my head spin. Still haven't found another deal like it since, but hey looking for the white whale is half the fun right?

Anyways I've taken up enough space and time for an introductory post in here. I really enjoy reading/seeing the crazy things you guys find, reading this thread has quickly eaten up a good chunk of my daily time online.

9. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Love that light grey peak lapel.
    If you start to see those yellow tagging that 40R would be a definite proxy for me.

10. Chill Dude 22

Chill Dude 22 Member

That 5 panel is dope. That would be a grail find for me. They seem to do really well on eBay

11. Brianpore

12. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Double post. Whoops.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

What's the deal with Maxx and Marshalls? Clearly there is a timing/luck element, but is there also a location/selection element? The ones I've ever been to (and that's not a small number) haven't had anything better than Perry Ellis trousers, diffusion Ralph Lauren suits and "polo club" ties. Is it a question of finding the "good" ones, or is it more like thrifting: I just have to keep hitting the same stores until they capitulate and surrender their riches (I.e., I get there when they are eacking a new shipment and snag the good stuff before everyone else)?

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

It's definitely location. I'd even venture to say that matters more than luck/timing. The 3-4 discount places near my house (suburbs) are crappy and have literally never had anything better than PRL. The one that's near a major expensive mall and much closer to the city is the only one I've ever found good stuff at, and pretty much everytime I go they have at least a few things that are better than anything I've found at the suburb discount places. From what I've seen here, the same pattern seems to be true in other cities.

15. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

wow the GHOST of frenchy gettin props.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.