The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Make sure it doesn't say something like this one.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Mex, I almost didn't recognize you with that new avatar.

3. dc1976

dc1976 Member

Posted this elsewhere but this might be the better thread:

What do you all like to do to personalize your finds? I'm not talking about making cheap junk into something it isn't, but if you buy a quality navy blazer for next to nothing it frees you up to spend a little at the tailor. I'm looking for some more interesting ideas to make a basic blazer or suit into a distinctive, personalized garment. Obvious ideas are elbow patches, working cuffs, different buttons, and contrast buttonhole stitching.

What else?

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Don't do that. Just don't.

5. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

underarm fringe
    your last name across the shoulders
    those stickers that are a silhouette of a hot babe relaxin

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Did anyone see the horrible movie "Le Divorce" (2003) with Kate Hudson and Naomi Watts ...NOT WORTH SEEING. My wife forced me to watch it on Sunday night...not sure if this was a hint due to my out of controll thrifting habit. Anyway you should have seen her face when I recognized the Hermes Kelly bag that was given as a gift during the movie. Wish I could find one of those things at a thrift.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

7. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

hehe after the beating i took re: my gaudy taste in shirts, i figured the new avatar was apropos.

8. dc1976

dc1976 Member

Reasonable that you not be willing to do someone's work for them, but I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for ideas, as I just did. The incentive to be responsive, of course, is the desire to be helpful to another person. The seniors help the freshman find his classroom; it's the sophomores who who are compelled to denigrate his status as a freshman.

9. mexicutioner

10. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

wat

11. mexicutioner

it's one thing to ask a specific question about a specific item. it's another to say "hi guys, can you tell me everything i need to know, so that i can hit the ground running?"

also, thrifting is incredibly varied, based on a crapload of variables:
    • the income of the people in your area (telling you that Brioni suits are gold won't help you if you live in an area without a lot of wealthy people)
    • the climate in your geographic area (telilng you that vicuna overcoats are gold won't help if you live in scottsdale)
    • whether you buy to wear, trade, or flip
    • how often you intend to go
    • what you're interested in finding (if you only want to find MMM and Yoji, good luck...unless you're DM7)
    • there could be local brands in your area that are amazing that no one outside of your area knows about

so, it's really hard for there to be a one-size-fits-all guide that will work for every person in every part of the country/world. the closest thing to that is the PutThisOn guide and ebay completed listings. beyond that, i think some gumption, legwork and trial-and-error on the part of the freshman is in order.

12. concealed

concealed Senior member

yup seniors always just help you find your locker....

[​IMG]

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Yeah, I think that's what I was getting at earlier when I questioned the "read this whole thread" advice as being the only possible way. Given an infinite amount of time to think about it, I or pretty much any other regular poster here could definitely compile a nearly exhaustive "do's and don'ts" list, but there's no way in hell any of us are going to. There's just no incentive to do it.

14. dc1976

dc1976 Member

Absolutely. I don't disagree. I have seen quite a bit of berating of perfectly reasonable and specific questions on this forum, though.

15. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

That's where I started posting. I thought styleforum was for lames with no style. Only partially true. :box:
    Why not? Any stylist worth his salt will tell you to sleep in your posh new suit to fit it to your frame. This goes with nice denim to the Nth degree. Not trying to spark any drama, just trying to walk the line somewhere between the SW&D WAYWT attitude and blindly accepting that the full cut Robert Graham shirt is going to look baller on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.