The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grendel

grendel Senior member

Between these

And the pictograms

I thought I'd stumbled into a foreign language version of SF...

2. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Left this on the rack, should I have bought?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, how old is this label? Seen it on a sweater and pair of cords:

[​IMG]

Are these AEs wore getting to restore and flip? Size 7 1/2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left this on the rack, hopefully it's there tomorrow morning. With pants,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Sorry about the spam.

But really? Pass on the Armani? It's a complete suit - I'm seeing completed listings between 50-90? I mean, I know Mani isn't their upper tier, but still?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

OK, you win. Buy it, and good luck.

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Yes, pass. For every $90 listing you see, there are 3 that did not sell, and 2 that went for under $20.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?LH_I...=3001&_from=R40&_nkw=mani&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

It's simply not worth the risk to pick up.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

It depends on what question you're asking. If you're asking whether to buy those things to wear, then my question is: Do they fit and do you like them? If so, Go with God, my son. Rock 'em until you shock 'em. If you're asking whether they will flip (which, I'll note, is a subject that gets some folks testy round these parts), then my answer is: Andro is right. Seems risky (and not worth the time). Armani has MANY diffusion lines. The further down the line you go (and this is pretty far down), the lower the demand. Also remember solid blue and gray are the most in demand, so take that into consideration when you look at closed listings. If you're a gambling man, give it a shot, be patient and don't be surprised if you don't cover your costs. You have been warned If you're asking whether you can brag about Mani (or even Armani) on this thread, then my answer is an unqualified no. We all pass on that stuff a LOT. Armani -- even the higher end stuff (Collezzioni, etc.) and some of the other well known brands command more "ugh" than awe around here. (Side note: I finally recognize a manufacturing label! That's the GFT label from when I worked for them. So I believe it's at least authentic. But a) I've been wrong before, and recently; and b) see above list of why to move along.) Now down to business: Thrift Fit. Inspired by Andro, I'm calling this one "Rights of Spring" -- as in "Right! Now where did my Effing Spring Go?" It's 46 degrees here today. Edit: I just saw the awkward sleeve cuff on the jacket. That's more a function of me being in a rush to take the pic and get out of the house. Sorry about that.
    SC: Abboud Black Label, dual vent, USA made, silk/cashmere blend, bought with a killer employee discount Shirt: J. McLaughlin, thrifted Tie: Calvin Klein Collection, bought with same employee discount. Can't see it in pic, but it's kind of a grosgrain/raw silk Square: unknown, silk, didn't realize I was wearing it until I saw the pic. :embar: Belt: Fossil, thrifted Trousers: Hiltl, thrifted Shoes: AE Brewster split Norwegians in whiskey, thrifted [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I'm hitting the Orvis outlet this weekend. Every once in a while you can pull down a short sleeved linen shirt on clearance in your size for $10-15. The outlet has much crappier deals on the coats and pants and sweaters (like, much closer to retail) but the shirts...you can score some good stuff if you're selective. Must his barbour outlet, too, but I fear what I will find...and have to then buy.

9. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Mani by Giorgio Armani is a diffusion line, that I don't think is even in production anymore. Every suit I've found under that line has been from the early 90s or earlier and has had awful styling. They aren't even that rare to find, since they were sold at places like Macy's. Go ahead and buy it, but there's a good chance you'll regret it. Either you'll wear it yourself until you realize how awful the styling is, or you'll sell on ebay for a small profit and get bad feedback when the buyer realizes how awful the styling is.

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

When I first started thrifting seriously a few years ago, I found three Mani suits that were slightly larger than I needed...but they were"Armani". I gladly paid the alteration costs and did get use out of all of them. However fast forward to now, I spent way too much on the alterations and the condition of them was not the best. These are suits I now leave.

I still have a Mani tux just in case I ever need one. It's in a suit bag in the closet, and well worth the $15 I paid in case I ever need one.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I really dig that jacket. What's going on with with the cuffs?

12. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

+1 of everything said. Although I'll add my mistakes were at least tagged from Neiman Marcus.

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

See edit. Was in a rush. Threw the jacket on and snapped the pick before realizing I'd "outied" the sleeves like a belly button.

14. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Am I the only one in here that finds it impossible to spend money on clothes at Orvis, because as soon as I walk in i'm 2 bills down on fly-fishing goodies?

15. workthatwedo

workthatwedo Senior member

Went back for the Sid Mashburn I left behind but it was gone (probably not a surprise). Found some more mediocre stuff for myself (BB, CK, etc.). Zanella shirts worth picking up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.