The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I see miscategorized Sag Harbors on the mens rack at nearly every store. Ashamedly, I bought a Tom James this weekend which had normal right side buttons, but was tailored weird. Turns out from the inside tag it was a women's...I obviously assume a lesbo.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Don't take it personally, that's sort of the standard answer around here to that question, and others like it. BTW you can set your preferences to accomodate more posts on one page, cutting the number of pages immensely. Less page loading/refreshing...more enjoyable reading.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks! Due to this comment I have changed my listing format to feature this angle as my gallery pic. It seems my sales have spiked already. It may be coincidence, but I am convinced.

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Okay, go read this:

http://putthison.com/tagged/How_to_Thrift

But honestly, if you don't think you can learn from reading this thread I don't know how to help you

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

6. MattR

MattR Senior member

I think you said these were available, right? One thing it looks like from the pics is that the previous owner stretched these a bit. That bowing going on at the leather in the heel area has happened to me with the AEs I own, and it gets especially noticeable when you throw shoe trees in there. So if they end up on Ebay, you might want to mention it to avoid a headache later.

This is just based on my own observations from (a) having wide feet and (b) dealing with D width AE shoes. If I stand to be corrected, someone should please do so.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

LMGTFY never gets old.[​IMG]

8. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

There are no shortcuts, there are way too many brands, details, fabrics etc to get it in a couple of posts. You seriously need to spend time reading a lot to get even semi competent.

9. Regg

Regg Senior member

Thanks for all the wonderful help. Seems on par with every thread here. Stay classy

10. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

This may be gauche, but if you really can't be bothered reading the whole thread, read the Put This On thrifting tips linked to earlier, and go into the store with this brand guide on your smartphone. You'll at least be better informed than 90% of people in the store. Then try on anything that looks nice and like it might fit you. Then come here and post photos of the awesome YSL and Lanvin stuff you find.

11. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Yup--that, and make a few mistakes along the way. No matter how much you read and how long you do this, you're gonna buy stuff that you shouldn't. We all do. The goal is to do it less and less.

12. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Many of us also learned the hard way...bought stuff that didn't quite fit/we thought was quality stuff but wasn't/had a defect or wear or stain we didn't see until after we brought it home etc. And eventually weeded out the crap (threw out, rethrifted, gave to pals who wanted it) and began the arduous process of upgrading one by one with pieces you only see every 3rd or 4th visits (while pining for s#1t you never see).

This is all to say, we don't hate n00bs or you in particular. It's just...something that involves a commitment to wasted time and money. You're not going to learn everything even by reading this thread -- although you'll make fewer mistakes and waste much less time and $$$ than we did if you pay heed.

13. Regg

Regg Senior member

Can we be serious, most of the stuff in the thread won't be helpful and it wouldn't be worth trying to dig through the entire thing. Not to mention I'm only asking about suits not everything else people look for. I could figure out how to pick out a suit for myself, though I don't think I saw a single size 36 in the few racks I looked through. But I figured I'd try and learn what people on here might be interested if I came across anything interesting. I'm not sure why people think that seeing other people's finds would be so helpful. I can learn to spot brands, that's easy. But for borderline brands seeing pictures someone posted isn't helpful. It doesn't tell me price/cost or if it's worth buying for someone else etc etc. If there's no easy advice to give I'm not sure why someone doesn't say that instead of being snarky. It wouldn't take much effort to instead give a couple sentences of advice.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

So what's the deal with Moon & Sons? I picked up an SC made with their fabric a while back which got lost in the closet for a while.

15. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Speaking of repeating discussions, those who bought mannequins, where did u buy?

I know Capnwes got his Hanging Dude on eBay. I want one with a stand. I have been asking around at every thirft store I frequent and some say "no, never," and others say "check back, it's a matter of time."

But no dice so far. I think I might ask my tailor next, tomorrow, gotta pick up a couple jackets (Hey, finally, my Canali Blazer-i-fied former odd suit coat...changed buttons upon Dig's suggestion, is coming back...will post before/after pix...). He has a ton of weird sculptures and stuff in his shop, an aritst but none of his art's for sale...but he does some seriously bent things with mannequins...maybe he has an extra or knows a source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.