The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Lots of luck and watching almost every Barbour auction in my size. I figured I could score a Bedale, Border, or Beaufort for this price, but never an International, especially not the slimmer fitting one. I'm actually dumbfounded as I was sitting at the reserve met price until the very end. I figured someone would snipe it and I might even lose out at my max bid of $160. Anywhoo, mega stoked for some rain storms, though now I have some concern that there's the slimmest chance it could be fake. It's not from Hong Kong, so I don't think the chance is great, but....

2. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

On the Lacoste shirt...looks like an old 80's original to me...I've sold a few as original just like that one with no complaints..mind you mine were NWT.

3. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Or wait for Official thrift/discount store bragging thread: The novelization, on store shelves shortly.

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Do your homework when it arrives and you'll be fine. They are not for everyone, but I have three Barbours--a Bedale, a Beaufort and a very old-school International without visible logo--and there is no earthly reason to own so many, given they last just about forever. The International gets somewhat a pass because it is for when I ride my scooter. The other two were purchased secondhand, the Bedale for around what you paid, the Beaufort for $75. You can't say no at those prices. Wear yours in good health.

5. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

this is good, free, advice

6. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Lol, I meant at a fixed price in my Etsy shop - I try to sell most of the vintage stuff I come up with there if it's made in USA or UK.

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

They look even better with good pictures [​IMG]

Liking having my good camera out again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

First, when I say "throw out" I mean donate (unless it was really shabby). I've almost never tossed wearable clothing -- even well before lurking on this thread. I just mean I didn't pay it forward here or flip on the Bay. Second: I thought they were the Van Heusen of my flannel collection. Third, I think this was before I was lurking/posting here. I think this was more like 12-18 months ago, and I've only been on the thread a few months.

Either way, live and learn, I guess.

9. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

If you're lucky enough to even find something made by Ron Chereskin, Robert Graham, or Savane, they seem to do really well on eBay. Also, Christian Dior shirts & ties, Incotex pants, and Bostonian shoes aren't a bad place to start.

10. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Don't underestimate the Mexican suitmaking industry and, for the love of God, grab any and all Sag Harbor powersuits you can get your hands on. Janet Reno-looking bitches on eBay go nuts for them.

11. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

:lol:

I don't think I've ever walked through the women's section of a thrift store without seeing at least one Sag Harbor item on the racks. It's the Stafford of women's thrifting.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

The vinegar will be noticeable for a week or two after but then it will completely dissipate, never to be whiffed again. My first Brooks Brothers blazer (a gorgeous navy 3 roll 2 made from Loro Piana wool would stink like crazy from the P.O.'s B.O. after I would wear it for a half hour and get it a little steamy. Followed some advice from this forum (Man of Lint?) and applied vinegar generously to the pits of the coat, inside and out) with a sponge until it was almost dripping, hung it in the laundry room and promptly forgot about it for two weeks. The vinegar odor was quite strong and I figured the blazer was a goner.

When I finally remembered it was hanging there, I took it down to check for the smell of the vinegar and there was none. I put heat to the pits with a blow drier and they came up fresh as a daisy. I've worn it repeatedly since and never again been offended by the acrid stench of my own clothing. The bacteria from previous owner that had caused the body odor smell had been eliminated.

Vinegar is tha shit!

13. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

That's legit but from the late 70's / early 80's. There were two companies that made the "Lacoste: shirts back then: Izod and Chemise" From what I recall, the difference between the two was cut of the shirts, and who carried them.

Also back then, "fakes" were going in to the local store and cutting the gator off...then sewing it on a cheap polo.

14. Regg

Regg Senior member

God forbid someone ask for help or advice. I could read the entire thread and if it's all just made up of what people have found I wouldn't be in a better position at all. You don't think I've looked through a bunch of the thread already?

If there are no rough tips, why not just say so? I was hoping someone could say "look for this fabric, or look for this size, look for this style." Was that too much to ask? That or a suggestion to go read another thread or website or a certain page in the 2200 page thread.

15. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Some people follow this advice when given and join the conversation, informed. Some people whine and remain in the dark. Choose which kind of person you will be.

Having been to the H-F mothership and the outlet in Kittery more times than a normal person should admit...and thumbing through the stock of Bobby Jones in its entirety...I have to say most of the Bobby Jones stuff seems more apt for the nursing home set. However, I just last week picked up a plain cable knit Bobby Jones baby alpaca sweater...so I'm sure there are some plain "Staple-y" pieces that might flip and are definitely worth wearing. Just...lots of pink argyle and knit stuff that would look great -- if you're 85 and duffing on some Florida golf course.

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.