The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

$10 for Cerruti 1881 charcoal pinstripe 38r suit.

2. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Holland & Sherry grenadine tie, $7.50, and leather briefcase/messenger bag by David King & Co., $30 (retails at $190), both from FB Boston.

3. Stax

Stax Senior member

pejsek - the SF goodwills are all yours now (not that i was ever much competition) - i've just taken a new job in the east bay. there's a couple of consignment shops and a thrift store here in rockridge, but i've never had great luck at them. there's sometimes some decent street wear at the 'crossroads' shop though. -andrew
    The staff at Rockridge Rags is rude but a deal can be had there every blue moon.

4. The Grapist

The Grapist Senior member

$85 for a 38R (but slimmer than most 38R's) Ralph Lauren "Signature Blue Label" suit. 100% cashmere. Fits almost as slim as the Black Label suit I got (for a little more, but still a great deal). Still $85 plus alterations is better than the $2895 retail [​IMG]

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

$85 for a 38R (but slimmer than most 38R's) Ralph Lauren "Signature Blue Label" suit. 100% cashmere. Fits almost as slim as the Black Label suit I got (for a little more, but still a great deal).

Still $85 plus alterations is better than the $2895 retail [​IMG]

That's a fantastic deal. Color? They got any more of those, Grapist?

6. The Grapist

The Grapist Senior member

That's a fantastic deal. Color? They got any more of those, Grapist?
    Darkish charcoal/black with nice white pinstripes. Double vented, fully canvased too! It was the only dark suit they had. I need to get it altered though. I'm hoping they can de-pleat the pants, and I need it taken in a bit. Also the sleeves do need their buttons. [​IMG] I also picked up a creme-ish RLPL 42L cashmere sportscoat that I'm going put up for sale soon.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

Fully-canvassed Hield suit, navy with red/baby blue windowpane, 98% wool and 2% cashmere, $1595 retail price, for $185 at Saks Off 5th. They had a second one in my size and were running a "buy 1 get the 2nd for half price" sale, but the fabric was not for me (black/white glen plaid with a tan, almost yellow, overpane).

Usually my outlet store "finds" come at about 25-30% of retail, so I don't consider them steals on the scale you guys post.

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

• Irish linen blue and white plaid sport shirt from the old Banana Republic, back in safari wear days ($3.25)
    • lavender RL polo shirt (knit rather than pique) ($2.50)
    • L.L. Bean blue OCBD with flap pocket (I've been wanting a flap pocket OCBD; high on the Trad meter) ($3)
    • Jimmy Buffet, 'Songs You Know By Heart' CD ($3)
    • globe on a stand for my daughters ($5)
    • paperback copy of The Wine Dark Sea, by Patrick O'Brian ($2)

9. PunctualAlex

PunctualAlex Well-Known Member

A pair of Johnston & Murphy wingtips for $5
    A Ben Sherman button-up for $3
    It's a weird shirt, it has a casual pattern and cut to it, but the detailing is very very nice and the cuffs are very formal.

10. kabert

kabert Senior member

Fully-canvassed Hield suit, navy with red/baby blue windowpane, 98% wool and 2% cashmere, $1595 retail price, for $185 at Saks Off 5th. They had a second one in my size and were running a "buy 1 get the 2nd for half price" sale, but the fabric was not for me (black/white glen plaid with a tan, almost yellow, overpane).

Usually my outlet store "finds" come at about 25-30% of retail, so I don't consider them steals on the scale you guys post.

Thinman,

Nice find!! Which Off Fifth was this, may I ask?

11. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

just some records for me lately...
    johnny cash- live at san quentin
    the beatles- meet the beatles
    stevie wonder- songs in the key of life

.50 each

12. thinman

thinman Senior member

Thinman,

Nice find!! Which Off Fifth was this, may I ask?

The suit was on the clearance rack at the SOF located at The Block at Orange, in the LA area (far from your stomping grounds). They seem to be one of the only stores with suits in my size.

13. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

Oxxford suit: 2 button, single rear vent in a sort of dark aqua blue. Not green in anyway, but not a navy. Strikes me as still being a conservative color. Good fit for the jacket, just need to tailor the pant length a bit. $10.

14. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

It seems to me that it only a good deal when the final total is less than the sales tax would have been on the full price item.

15. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I did a bit of thrifting after dropping my gf off at the airport over the weekend. Picked up two shirts, a pair of braces, and a beater/rain suit.

One shirt was a Faconnable with BD collar. While I don't know much about, (Singaporean) construction is better than most "designer" shirts: single-needle side seams, small diameter and somewhat thin but still nice MOP buttons, but flat rather than chevroned yoke. Not a Lorenzini or Fray, but nicer than anything one would dream of seeing in Brooks Brothers. I would've bought the shirt even if it were an Arrow or something like that, because I really like the pattern (4-5mm stripes of yellow, three shades of blue, and white) and the cut for a shirt to wear untucked with sleeves rolled up during the summer.
    The other shirt will likely attract more excitement here: a blue multi-patterned (different stuff going on inside of a dark blue windowpane) T&A in their midgrade fabric ("Sea Island Cotton Quality" rather than the real thing), cutaway collar, and French cuffs. Even though I prefer cutaways in general, it's always a little disappointing to see a T&A in something other than their signature spread. Still, the shirt is surprisingly un-tenty for a ready-to-wear T&A and looks nice both by itself and under a number of different jackets.

The braces were burgundy with cordovan-colored calf ends, by Zegna.

The suit was a Hickey Freeman for Dick Ferguson's (an Athens-area men's store that sells Southwick, Samuelsohn, Vineyard Vines, Alden, that sort of thing) in med-dark grey flannel hooked center vent 2B with a dove grey pinstripe. It actually fits pretty well, considering it's an old Hickey; minimal shoulder padding, shortish jacket for the sleeve length with attendant proper upper button placement, previous owner altered the jacket to about a drop 8. It will replace a fused Burberry London suit in similar (but not as nice) fabric previously I wore in inclement weather.

Total damage for the two shirts: a hair over $8. The braces were $2.50, and the suit $15. Funny thing was, for the cost of two of the best shirts in the store - there was also an Armani Le Collezioni (old style with the thin, small diameter MOP buttons) that was too small for me and a Canali that was a beautiful soft faded Venetian blue flannel but had crumbling plastic buttons presumably from malignant cleaning - I couldn't have taken home any of the Banana/J Crew/Gap/Brooks rubbish that filled much of their men's shirt rack. Mallrat brands were marked $9 a shirt, but apparently their pricers hadn't heard of T&A or even Armani!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.