1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Thanks, I had no idea about that. So would you list these shoes as narrow width or standard? I currently have them listed as narrow, which a potential buyer apparently does not agree with.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Wes,

Use this link in the future: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I would list them as standard since the ball area is the most important width. Perhaps include a little explaination in your listing about combination lasts. I am afraid your buyer is correct this time.

4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Hang in there, Wes!

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

6. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

7. 951socal

951socal Senior member

nope, i mean missoni

the prints weren't too pretty and it felt cheap.

MCQ for target was not bad, that was like right before he comitted suicide too.

i hate to admit it but it do have some of the william rast stuff, and the target selvedge jeans

its nice to stop by while getting crumbled blue cheese, shampoo and a copy of diablo 3 :p

only thing they need is guns and ammo and i wouldnt even have to head to walmart since target is usally cheaper

im going to peak at Rag &bone neiman marcus target when it comes out this holiday quarter too.

that and im due for another fuddruckers saks 5th avenue run this week haha
    in most cases i can get Dior homme or alexander mcqueen mainline stuff for cheaper than my burger if i stack the deals right

plus im not really a popular size for dior homme, kinda fat to be pulling off the brand too so...

oh the joys of being dirt poor

hey any of you guys into bikes? like the pedal type?
    Im looking at picking one up just commute around on to save gas money, and gym money
    and im looking at these thrifts for decent bikes (nishiki, down tube shifters, bianchi, anything with a campy or shimano ultegra or similar gruppo components but nothing is coming up! its all crap, any tips you guys?)

im currently on a fixed gear i bought used, that i flipped over to the freewheel side

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  8. 951socal

951socal Senior member

you guys hiring? discount on anything? would love to get a hookup!

9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I work for an independent company, one of many that work on their marketing & research. I don't work for them directly, so alas no hookups, discounts nor any idea if they are hiring.

The only hookup I get is a steady pay check...which is good enough for me.

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Same here. I knew a lot of Missoni was crap, and this wasn't much of an exception (the colors are nice, but the buttons are plastic and the craftsmanship is nothing to write home about). This was my first Missoni purchase, based on a pic posted a few pages back of this label. I shall steer clear going forward. As always, thanks dudes!

EDIT: Oh, also: That other double breasted orphan turns out to have a ton of lining damage. Repairable? Maybe. Worth it? Unlikely, even if I do find the trousers. Oh well.

11. tben

tben Senior member

http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?cod10=36332764&tp=11227&tskay=3FD17CD7 [​IMG]

12. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I had a busy, busy weekend. Finally sold a vehicle that had been languishing on kijiji, volunteered at a music festival (got to chauffeur Randy Newman and Alejandro Escovedo around) and still managed to go thrifting.

Colour's off in the photo but this is a rich blue herringbone HT in 38R. The fit is perfect.
    [​IMG]

Cap'n Wes: I'll see you the suit that was like your parents' old sofa and raise you some drapes from my Aunt's house when I was a kid.
    This is perfect in my shoulders and arms but more like a sack suit jacket fit (no waist suppression). I'm looking forward to integrating this into my wardrobe.
    [​IMG]

This is another one that fits perfectly. A silk/wool blend tagged Yves St. Germain, Made in Canada. Needs a thorough dry cleaning.
    [​IMG]

Finally, I don't recognize the makers but I dig em'.
    [​IMG]

Saw some BB Makers and Zegna ties. They looked like they had been tied once - tight - and never broken until they came to the GW. More crooked then an old tree branch. A real waste.

13. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

That is standard width- most shoe makers these days would just list it as a "D" (Allen Edmonds for example) which is probably most common these days some, others list both, but usually the ball measurement on top or first, and then you have Alden that does heel 1st-, but it is always the ball of foot measurement that people are looking for-

From what I understand, the heel is always 2 sizes smaller than the ball- so D/B, E/C for most if they list both, or the opposite for Alden B/D, C/E, etc.. I just list the width (D, in your case) in my listing title, for example, but take a picture of the size inside the shoe for reference as well usually.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Mystery Solved, much thanks to Highlifeman.

[​IMG]

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

16. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Picked up a nice jacket today from the thrift store. From a store called "M. Dumas & Sons" in Charleston. Tag at neck has the "Fait au/Made in Canada" label. Samuelsohn? Color is somewhere between salmon and pumpkin, with an overcheck. Size 40, just want to see it go to a good home. Will post pics later.

On the way out of the store, I was approached by one of those kids selling candy bars. I politely refused and when I got about 20 feet away, I heard him mutter "racist motherfucker." :fu:

17. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Just because you don't eat candybars, you are racist? [​IMG]

18. eazye

eazye Senior member

I love this thread!!!!!! Nice!!!!!

19. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.