• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHo

Reaction score

After a few weeks of massive shoe hauls, it has been hard to get used to finding next to nothing again. Did pick up these two coats. HF - Bespoke, probably an orphan, but works as a SC IMO. 50L
%24(KGrHqZHJCgE9sGM8PkUBPkMBugjvg~~60_57.JPG
%24(KGrHqNHJF!E91+6nU8hBPkMCfVwKw~~60_57.JPG
Older Nordstrom Scotland Lambswool Tweed SC 44L
%24(KGrHqR,!hwE9gyf5hrBBPkMLecKQ!~~60_57.JPG
%24(KGrHqJHJCoE9rfTjDVbBPkMMTU(,Q~~60_57.JPG
love your pictures Wes. looks classy

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Okay, so here are some pictures of the Allen Edmonds that I mentioned before. Looking at them even more closely (and taking their pictures) makes me think that they're definitely different year versions of the same model or something, as they're just not the same shoe. Person I bought them from said they were a gift to him, but seems willing to work with me, so I'm going to send him the pics and it should be fairly obvious.

Here's the toe box, with some other pics below the fold...

Shoes are lined up side-by-side with one another, but one toe-box seems slightly larger as well

aaaaaand the different information on the inside of each shoe...

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 different shoes, guy tried to pull a fast one, or made a legitimate mistake. If you want to return them you should be able to, unless this was fully disclosed in the auction.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the day off today, was going to catch up on this thread, but I got to reading, and then I got the "itch". Soooooo, I took a walk to two of my nearby spots. This is was I came home with. A couple firsts for me.

My first thrifted sunglasses. O.G Rayban Wayfarers, glass lenses, made in the USA! Way heaver than the pair I currently own. $1.50

Boss, for the wife $1.50

Trafalgar and Brooks Brothers braces.

J Crew. blazer for the wife, $4.99

My first Hickey Freeman suit worth picking up. Canterbury model, looks unworn and old, can anybody date this? Size 42 R, available.

Vintage K-Mart shooting vest, 100% cotton duck (Nataku, I'm looking at you)

Vintage 60's? 100% cashmere. This thing was too cool to leave behind, silver buttons, good pattern matching, made in the USA. Size 42 long and available, otherwise off to the bay'

Another first, good God!

Also another first and also good God!

Brioni size 16 1/2 R thick mop's. Available.

Also I will get back to all of your p.ms

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Eazye - Idk if anyone covered this already, but a bit of info on Sulka:

They technically don't make anything. They were an incredibly high end store that had the worlds finest makers make things for them. Think of basically a department store with all Purple Label level stuff. They are now defunct--I believe that tux has one of the last labels. It's very likely made by St. Andrews. Anything with a Sulka label is worth picking up, as it's becoming quite collectible. Any ties I've ever found have sold within 24 hours, primarily to japan.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
JAB shirts with quality fabric? Do they have a luxury line?
The shirt I bought (giftcard) has the worst collar I have ever seen, and the fabric irritates my skin (non-iron, never had this problem with other shirts)
Interesting that this was brought up. Today I ran by a thrift on my way home from a quick run to TJ Maxx and there were a pair of really nice houndstooth pants. They were made in the USA and were a silk/wool blend. However, it was the old label.

Here are a few quick snapshots of the ties I picked up. Below the group shots are some detailed shots of a couple of the ties, particularly the Charvet grenadine. I was also very impressed by the Eddy Monnetti. I was unfamiliar with the label, but it may be the nicest tie I got.

Really nice ties! This probably should probably be in the form of a pm but since I am quoting...are those whales on the ferragamo? If so, interested.

Oh yeah, if anyone is interested, Corneliani ID everything everywhere at my TJ Maxx, polos, bd's, khaki scs, some of the pieces even say couture on the tag, I don't know if that means anything. $50-70 for the polos and bds, and $200 for the scs. Also prada for $200+...They also became savvy to the RLPL sunglasses, they went from $30 to $99-109.
confused.gif

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just this morning I was thinking to myself, where the hell is eazye? Nice to see you've been hard at work.

The RLPL doesn't happen to be a 32/33, does it?
It's a size 16, not sure how that measures out in normal terms.

They technically don't make anything. They were an incredibly high end store that had the worlds finest makers make things for them. Think of basically a department store with all Purple Label level stuff. They are now defunct--I believe that tux has one of the last labels. It's very likely made by St. Andrews. Anything with a Sulka label is worth picking up, as it's becoming quite collectible. Any ties I've ever found have sold within 24 hours, primarily to japan.

Awesome, thanks for the info, that's why I ******* love this thread!

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do we have Japanese readers? How is thrifting in Japan?

ROADTRIP!!! :slayer:

lastdonb

Reaction score

What does it cost to send a tie to Japan?

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 different shoes, guy tried to pull a fast one, or made a legitimate mistake.  If you want to return them you should be able to, unless this was fully disclosed in the auction.

Yup, you're gonna be fine here. Either the seller makes it right or eBay will.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do we have Japanese readers? How is thrifting in Japan?

I'll be headed to Tokyo in October. I'll keep you guys updated. :D

Beck found a Barbour waxed cotton Boarder jacket w/ hood and liner today for $20. I found some REI shirts. :plain:

Last edited:

ilikethelights

Reaction score

Beck found a Barbour waxed cotton Boarder jacket w/ hood and liner today for $20. I found some REI shirts. :plain:

Damn. I still want to find a Barbour in my size. Found a 2xl quilted vest once but that's it.

I made a run on my lunch break and walked around with a Clan Douglas cashmere sweater that ended up being way too big for me so I decided to leave empty handed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads