• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
Interesting, I sold a Lanvin FS outright within an hour of posting for about $120 BIN a few months back. How much is it listed for? Mine was Blue and like a size 42R IIRC

Well, I stay busy that's for sure. I don't sleep much. I do auctions with BIN option almost exclusively. I ship between 30-40 packages a week. I typically average a listed inventory of about 80 items. I would like to double that, but I would have to quit my day job to keep up.

uhh... yea this one is 42R navy as well. listed for 99$

i don't have a mannequin
baldy[1].gif

LooknGr8

Reaction score
I will get on the trading thread and get my Tumblr going, ha! At some point soon. Have been finding some good stuff out there but u guys have been posting so much Borrelli, etc. that my "good" ain't no game at all. So I give you this (the coat is too big for me, it's up for grabs).

Polo SC. Don't fit me. Up for grabs. PM.

Marked 44R but tailored more like a 41-42-ish. Lines one way are a kind of colbalt blue, the other cream-white-ish. Heavy wool.
chest 21.75
shoulder 19.50
length 30.25
sleeve 24
no elbow patches.

Silk and linen 14 vest haul. They fit me. There is a story behind this.

And this! Fits me. What were the odds?

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't hit the thrift stores much these days, but a few weeks ago I picked up a royal blue gingham BB shirt, just slightly larger than my size, $5. And then I put a hole in it pulling the tag off. :(

Yesterday: a white Jos. A. Bank that I ordinarily wouldn't look twice at, but the fabric is unusually good, not too far from Thomas Mason Silverline,, and the cut is decently trim. Just my size, and judging from the inspection tag, never worn. $6

A med blue Hamilton shirt, mild wear around the edges of the collar and cuffs, sleeves a bit long but otherwise good. $5

JAB shirts with quality fabric? Do they have a luxury line?

The shirt I bought (giftcard) has the worst collar I have ever seen, and the fabric irritates my skin (non-iron, never had this problem with other shirts)

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Here are a few quick snapshots of the ties I picked up. Below the group shots are some detailed shots of a couple of the ties, particularly the Charvet grenadine. I was also very impressed by the Eddy Monnetti. I was unfamiliar with the label, but it may be the nicest tie I got.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

JAB shirts with quality fabric? Do they have a luxury line?
The shirt I bought (giftcard) has the worst collar I have ever seen, and the fabric irritates my skin (non-iron, never had this problem with other shirts)

Some people here vouch for their signature gold line...I typically pass up all JAB -- there was one I got once, a Traveler. I wear it, it's a good light blue herringbone that fills a gap in the color wheel in the closet. Once in a while, between all the Nautica dreck, a JAB catches my eye but that's about it.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
would never of guessed that you used a hanging mannequin!

Just until a nice stand version falls in my lap. My dilemma is if it's too tall it won't fit in my CVS without altering the viewing surface, so I need a table top mannequin. Then, it's a sloped desk top, like a drafting table, so I would need to modify the base to stand up straight. The hanger style is just the easier/lazier option for now

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some people here vouch for their signature gold line...I typically pass up all JAB -- there was one I got once, a Traveler. I wear it, it's a good light blue herringbone that fills a gap in the color wheel in the closet. Once in a while, between all the Nautica dreck, a JAB catches my eye but that's about it.

JAB is everywhere here. I live about 20 minutes from the main factory. I've had my eye on a MTM Pin Stripe suit in one of the thrift stores I hit on occasion. The fabric is super nice and it has all kinds of pick stitching (which I thought was odd), but I just cant pull the trigger...even at $10.

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmm I might need to check it out, thank you!

alankford

Reaction score

Anyone familiar with Lucchese cowboy boots? Upon doing some research they seem like a decent brand, but anyone here have any thoughts before I shell out the money at GW?

Lucchese are by far the best cowboy boots money can buy you just need to be careful about the line of boot. Lucchese has several lines of boots that are made in Mexico with the name 1883, resistol ranch, etc.. The only ones worth buying are the lucchese classics line ( you should se a stamp on the inside of each boot that reads "lucchese classic") which are the only handmade line that lucchese offers. Don't worry about the leather. Just about every pair of lucchese classics retails from 600-20000. But obviously the exotic skins are worth more. Do a quick search on google for cjs lucchese an online retailer of these boots so you can get a better idea.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey, I have a question for those who might be familiar with Allen Edmonds. I purchased a pair of Sanfords off ebay, and when I got them out of the box to polish them, they looked a bit "off" to me. On further inspection, the brogueing on the shoes is just slightly different (the perforations on the left shoe are noticeably bigger in diameter than the right shoe despite being in the same design, and the cap toe portion of the shoes don't quite line up). They're obviously both Sanford models, and in the same color, though, but the rows of numbers inside the shoes are just slightly different as well.
Are there different lines of Sanfords (with different brogue styling?) or WTF is going on? It's not one of those things you'd probably notice on first glance (especially if you weren't wearing them), but it's driving me nuts and I'm going to try to return them (or am I out-of-bounds in doing so?)
Thanks for anyone who can offer an explanation.

Check the soles. If there is a tiny shoe imprinted, usually just in front of the heel, you have a pair of seconds. Whether you can return them or not might vary, of course, depending on the eBay seller, but if what you say is correct, then the seller should take them back, especially if they are seconds and were not listed as such.

datsunfan

Reaction score
I found this cool vintage Oxxford shawl collar tuxedo yesterday.
IMG_7624-1.jpg

It's 54 years old. There is a small hole in one of the sleeves of the jacket, but otherwise it's in great condition. The pants have a tear at one of the seams of the rear pocket.

IMG_7611-1-1.jpg

12" of zipper Fish mouth rear on the pants

Tear :( Other rear pants pocket

Pants front Jacket front

Lining attachment Lapel attachment

Breast pocket detail

Also, found some ties. Harrod's Man's Shop(available), recent Zegna (available), Brooks Brothers Linen(not available)

IMG_7606.jpg

IMG_7609.jpg

Last edited:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mainy, AlanC, EazyE - epic hauls - congrats! That Charvet grenadine is awesome.

Thomas mentioned Hamilton shirts, are those any good? I see them fairly often especially in Southern CT.
I haven't had any experience with them, but from what I have read they are supposed to be very good. High quality, made in USA, around $200/ shirt I believe. Not sure about their flippability though.

A few random items (all available):

RLPL Yellow Polo (XL)

About 24 p2p:

Saks 5th Ave. Blue Irish Linen s/s (L)

Santoni Tassel Loafers (Euro sized at 9.5 EE - so I think around 10.5 US)

Keyes and Lockwood Blackwatch Cummerbund and Bow Tie Set:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thomas mentioned Hamilton shirts, are those any good? I see them fairly often especially in Southern CT.

These shirts are really good. Retail $200+. Hamilton is a manufacturer from Texas renown for their bespoke shirts. They have a great modern shirt line by the name of Hamilton 1883. I personally have a dark blue utility shirt and it's amazing.

Check out the site: http://hamilton1883.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads