The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grendel

grendel Senior member

I thought Proposta was the thinner cut for a younger audience?

I just got a mannequin torso on a rolling telescoping stand for $35 by having a saved search on craigslist

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Be careful. He can still file a Paypal SNAD case and get a refund.

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

This.

But, since he has been wearing them, I would really hope they will be on your side!

4. GHo

GHo Senior member

what's he have? 45 days or something?

this little guy just showed up next to my name... [​IMG]

what's it mean? I assume good things.

:cheers:

5. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

damn dudes, selling on ebay sounds like a total headache. more power to you guys for makin it work.

6. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the good Bottega Veneta stuff and the bad stuff? Especially shoes?

7. concealed

concealed Senior member

yeah its good, whats your ebay name, interested in checking out your gear

8. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I'd want to see photos, too. I once had a buyer leave positive feedback on a suit, then immediately send me a message saying that the lining was slightly apart at an armpit seam, so I should have checked the goods more thoroughly. He didn't ask for a refund, but I sent one anyway, even though the complaint was over a trifling matter that any reputable tailor would've remedied gratis while doing alterations. It wasn't a great deal of money, and it made me feel better because, yes, I should've caught something like that and disclosed it in listing. Of course, the guy who ended up with the free suit never said, hey, thanks or in any other way acknowledged what I'd done.

I'd also be tempted to tell the guy to screw himself, but it is possible that there could be an issue here. Without knowing more--his eBay history, among other things--it's hard to say. And if you said no returns in the listing, you're under no obligation. I'm presuming we're certain of the provenance and that there's no chance the shoes are counterfeit--that can happen to the best of us.

I think you're safe in terms of there being no chance that eBay can bust your chops. But it also seems strange that someone would register a complaint after leaving positive feedback. That suggests to me that he might be having a problem with the shoes. If it were me, I'd try working with the guy a bit, first by asking for photos. And take it from there. There is no right answer here, but you never know. If you work with him and even end up having to eat some cash, he might turn into a loyal customer. You should ask yourself: If the guy's complaint holds up, if there is, in fact, a problem with the soles, do I want to be the guy who sold crappy shoes on eBay? Maybe that's the WWJD approach, and I'm not suggesting it's for everyone. And, again, there might be something I don't know that compels a different approach.

9. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

I gotta give a big shout out to whomever it was that posted about the thriftbuddy app. I've found a couple new stores I did not know about and found a few epic first finds in the wild. I'm still out exploring--will post pics later.

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I dunno. This app sounds both cool and dangerous. Sharks are already plentiful in the tank--could this be inviting more?

11. valium

valium Senior member

12. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Had tons of terrible luck; the last two weeks or so have yielded some pretty good stuff. Some highlights (unfortunately, I've run across some financial difficulties, so I can't really make any of this available):

Oxxford Super 120s:

[​IMG]

Mainline John Varvatos unstructured navy summer blazer:

[​IMG]

Alden for Barney's shell loafers:

[​IMG]

Aquascutum trousers:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

What was the estate sale one?

14. amadar

amadar Senior member

Ugh....I'll ask for pictures and go from there I guess. To give more info, the guy has about 10 total feedback (all positive, member since 2002). The shoes were 120% not fake. I have a 7 day return policy for grossly misdescribed items. Can this guy really win a Paypal SNAD after having worn the shoes for 2 weeks? It is a used item, I don't think I should be held accountable for warranty issues when there is no appliocable warranty to begin with :(

15. GHo

GHo Senior member

gradyholt is my ebay name. nothing "special" out there now.

thanks for checking

:spam:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.