The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

12 C are the Tassel Aldens :)

2. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Sweet the Lanvin looks like it made by D'Avenza

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

To whom are you speaking? I picked up some VV chinos recently. Hit the "quote" box so we know which post you're referencing. :)

EDIT: Duh. Mine were 36x31. The green and salmon are not available; blue may be.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

4. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Sweet Jeesus, those Saddles are sick.

5. clotheshound

clotheshound Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picked this up yesterday.BENETTON SC. I love the color. Wore it today and received great comments.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG] Please tell me this was a thrift store for like $15!!!! and someone just missed the price tag.

7. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Question: I have a Zegna Soft jacket, made in Switzerland. Now, I'm confused - Soft was essentially a diffusion line, but I was under the impression that Zegna only made its better stuff in Switzerland?

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

From how I understood it, Zegna makes its better stuff in Italy/Spain, and everything else you said was correct: Soft is an older diffusion line, roughly equal to Z Zegna in quality (someone correct me if untrue). I've had a few Soft pieces and this seems about accurate, quality-wise.

9. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

It is a pretty good (if not a little snug, more about that later) fit. Always have problems with sleeve length, some people have gorilla arms, mine are more T-Rex. The Lanvin has 25" sleeves and I'll have to have them shortened to about 23.5", the length is 30 which I can do but 29 is closer.

I picked up the To Boots because they cost about as much as a large soda at McDonalds, see what I can do on the bay, unless someone here wants them.

I know some Lanvin stuff, the ones with Paris, New York, etc listed is the newer diffusion stuff, but I think this is an "original?" Really nice quality.

Looked up D'Avenza and they do talk about him making the Ascot Jacket....from web site http://www.davenza.com/en/historical-icons

Ascot Jacket - Derived from the hacking jacket, was designed for horse riding and is characterized by a narrow high-waist, a long central back vent and an elegant line. In the ‘60’s, the reinterpreted model was named Ascot Jacket and was presented in Rome, where soon became the new trend resulting in a great success. Ascot Jackets are usually made in tweed fabric.

This does have a narrow high waist, so kinda fits what is mentioned.

Thought I'd throw up a thrift pick, received the Luciano Barbera (killer) sport coat from, concealed today, it's a 40R/S, in November-December I was buying stuff in the 43 range, I'm now almost a 40:

This jacket came today and this is right out of the Tyveck, edit-(did not know the SC was going to be here today, works pretty well with what I wore)

Sport Coat Luciano Barbera - from Concealed
    Navy chords - J. Crew - Thrifted
    Tie - Navy gaberdine-ish silk from Seta made in Italy - thrifted
    Shoes, AE Arlingtons in Oak, bought long ago and recrafted once.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. concealed

concealed Senior member

Zegna Soft suit that I saw, and passed on was made in Switzerland as well....

edit: don, that jacket looks BALLER!

11. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

re Zegna soft: apart from the quality issue, isn't most Zegna Soft going to be somewhat dated-looking? Same with Canali Proposta, 9 times out of 10, those jackets just give off an old vibe.

note: i don't flip/ebay, so what i said might have no bearing on this conversation.

12. concealed

concealed Senior member

canali proposta is basically just canali XL afaik

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Proposta is an older line (mid-90s-2000s?), and iirc, isn't made anymore. That's what he was getting at re: it being dated looking.

14. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I can usually flip a Z Zegna for Soft jacket for $50-$100, so if they are cheap, good condition and solid color "sport coats" OR a suit under $10 buy them and you will make a few bucks. imo

Someone on ebay will see the Zegna name and a fair price and buy it or make an offer you are happy with given enough time to sit there.

AND if it is for you. The quality is not horrible! It's not like your going into Macy's and buying a $200 suit. The quality of Z Zegna I have seen I would be happy to wear if it was my size.

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Canali Proposta is current, isn't it? I have a NWT Canali Proposta that I found that's on B&S [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.