The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Have you considered a pale ecru shirt? They're pretty versatile and go well with most browns and beiges as well as black and blues. Also, they don't "pop" so brightly as a white shirt for a casual outfit. Great jacket!

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

DUDE!

Good to see you in our sandbox.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Ughhh! Kudos in focussing on your studies, but PLEEEEEEASE don't stop posting your awesome stuff. As an everyday thrifter, your posts are an inspiration to me (and others I'm sure). If you really decide to let the jealous skeptics keep you down, I wouldn't mind if you post your brags directly in my PM box.

4. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Speaking of which is it just me or has Nautica multiplied in thrift racks over the last 6 months like mice and Noobizor? It's like, before the s#1t stuff was a healthy mix of Izod, Stafford, Nautica and Claiborne but it now seems like Nautica and Savane are, like, more than half the dreck I go through to get to the good stuff and is even squeezing out the other crappy brands. They must be running Jos A BAnk "Buy One, Get 12 Free!" sales or something.

5. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Oh man. There's an 83% chance that I'm going to be in Anaheim for a few days around the 3rd of August. The only thing in walking distance is some joint with a mouse that wears high waisted shorts and a family of ducks and the ducks don't even wear pants!

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Not to mention that the GW's around here like to put the "boutique" prices on Nautica! I'd laugh but this pricing strategy seems to be spreading throughout the store. When a woman's shoe that costs $10 at Payless is marked $11 at Goodwill, you just want to quit.

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

Wait... So what? If I could find that kind of stuff via CL I would! Thrifting doesn't have to be literally at a thrift store. It can be estate sales, CL, and even eBay if you're finding stuff that's underpriced.

[​IMG]

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

:lol: Pure win!

9. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

They always end up a size or so too big for me....... [​IMG]........... actually found another pair of the same shoe in the same exact size @ a month ago, but missing one tassel (out of 4).havent figured out whether to replace or just sell.... I have become a fan of slip-ons lately, I did score a pair of brown and a pair of back AE Graysons I wear pretty regularly, but no Alden's in my size yet

That jacket is pure awesome.....[​IMG]

10. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Where I live It's like pure Izod and Stafford, I would welcome a Nautica piece just to break up the repetition.

Well you know something is wrong with Goodwill's pricing when you can get a like new pair of reebok's or a nice vintage pair of justin lace up boots or vintage sorel's made in canada for cheaper than some payless stuff.

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Nope. The pole goes right up the middle and there's a knob there to loosen and move it up or down about 3 feet. I was wondering if I could find a way to put the pants up against the front like you'd do if you're holding it up against your waist to see how they'd fit...

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

If you travel by plane, they're essential. But Spoo and Dig won't let me wear them with a suit, and I often fly into and out of meetings, meaning I'm going through the airport in suits. :paranoia:

13. concealed

concealed Senior member

I hope you all use this website for thrift-scouting: http://www.thethriftshopper.com/

Place is pretty good, and it works on mobile if you are in a new location

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I hope that's not your filing system for tax purposes. If it is, you should really check out "Outright" in the ebay apps. It makes everything really easy to track and does most of it for you.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

15. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ I'm not sure how that would look just hanging flat. Maybe you could get a hanger with clips and find a way to position that in front? Or just photograph the jacket really well and have a picture of the pants laid out somewhere in with the rest of the pictures? I've never really like the pants on the shoulder shot (I've seen it done on eBay and Etsy, though) because it doesn't really give you an idea of how the pants fit and it just ends up covering up the jacket. It shows the material, but that's about it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.