1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tben

tben Senior member

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Pretty decent weekend out - hit 7 or 8 places, picked up a couple things I'd not seen in the wilds (Goodwill etc) before.

Anything with a hand-written price tag was 1/2 off the tagged price from an indie shop, which was most of this stuff, but some bits from GW.

HF made in Italy.
    [​IMG]

NWOT Mr. Witt Western shirt (picked out the pins and unfolded it for pics, hence knowing it's NWOT).
    [​IMG]

Robt Graham.
    [​IMG]

Robt. Graham.
    [​IMG]

Pink (first time caught in the wild).
    [​IMG]

One PRL I personally like.
    [​IMG]

Eton (first wild catch).
    [​IMG]

T&A (first wild catch); needs the collar treatment.
    [​IMG]

Another PRL I personally like.
    [​IMG]

Burberry London.
    [​IMG]

HSM made in Italy.
    [​IMG]

Hobie...which I used to wear when I was a skate rat in the 70's.
    [​IMG]

Zanella Italy.
    [​IMG]

Vintage leather sport coat a la Fight Club. $29 was steep for a thrift, but at 1/2 price I picked it up.
    [​IMG]

Aquascutum blazer.
    [​IMG]

Vintage and very loud sport coat. Jesus this thing looks like my grandparent's sofa.
    [​IMG]

Woolrich zip-front with leather collar. Pretty nice at 1/2 price.
    [​IMG]

Not shown is the regular slew of PRL shirts, Brooks Bros shirts, few BB Makers ties, couple more vintage Harris Tweed sport coats, and the only clothing item I bought for myself today.

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Are these quality? Are they good for flipping on the Bay? I've been passing on a few of these...

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

What did you pick up for yourself? Take some pics of the HT's

5. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

After a long morning of making ebay listings in hopes of paying for a plane ticket for a September trip I made a stop on my way to buy groceries and found these for fall (both 1/2 price today):

Brooks Brothers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PRL Made in USA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You guys are far too kind.

Very TF ish, and thats I think what inspired this one. Made for a client, who gave it to me. He's nearly my doppelgänger in size.

Real dealyo seersucker.

:laugh:

Not Carmina, those are Gaziano & Girling.

7. TheNeedMachine

Re: Aquascutum blazer: no idea...first time I've picked one up (don't have a smart phone to check ebay sold while in-store). I like to take a chance on 1 or 2 items when out thrifting, then come home to check whether I have a something or a nothing. I know folks here are partial to the ties; haven't seen a sport coat or blazer in recent memory...

8. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Aquascutum are good quality from what I can tell. Most models are half canvassed, a few fully canvassed. Not great for selling on eBay though, but you never know what may happen if the pattern rocks. I pick these up for myself if they are cool and in my size.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Decent quality. I have had a few of them listed in the past, took forever to sell. The name recognition by the average buyer just isn't there.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ive got one up now with horrendous interest - and this is the full monty - likely bespoke, full canvas, fully handmade, etc. This is the top top of the line stuff.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/35058242267...:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#ht_14393wt_1378

11. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

yo I am in the market for a few more ties, foulards, reps, basically anything, I don't care about brand if anyone has some bad/unlabeled ties that still look good I would be really happy, same with pocket squares, this should probably go in b&s but whatever

12. eazye

eazye Senior member

Picked up the COOLEST blue crushed velvet blazer yesterday. Satin lapels and cuffs and ribbing around the pockets. Looks to be from the 60's and still has the tag on it! It's either a 44 or 46, pics to follow. Also picked up 2 vintage BB golden fleece blazers, one with 2 button working cuffs, the first I've seen on a BB, also a really crazy patterned lining.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

14. TheNeedMachine

For myself, I picked something utilitarian:

Gimme Shelter is one of my favorite documentaries - you get it or you don't...
    [​IMG]

The Harris Tweeds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one above was tailored for a "D. M. Eddy". I was trying to figure out Duane Eddy's middle name but it's nowhere to be found on the net. Doubtful it was his, but, I've never heard of anyone else with the surname of Eddy, first initial D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  15. mainy

mainy Senior member

what width?

i picked up a huge lot of self tipped vintage polo ralph lauren rep ties the other day. i'm looking to sell them for cheap but they're very skinny, all around 3" i think

16. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

134 is horrendous interest? If only I had such bad luck :)

There's a reason I uncheck the visitor counter box on my auctions :embar:

Also, does anyone know what this is? It's a strip of fabric that has the buttons on it

[​IMG]

17. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Hey guys Today I picked up 3 Charvet Place Vendome custom made dress shirts. Unfortunately they do not have a tag size and i was wondering if anyone could help me depicted their measurement. Here are the measurements:

Chest 56 inches
    Shoulder 20 inches
    Sleeve 22.5 inches
    Length 34 inches
    Neck (from the button hole to the button) 17 inches

Funky size huh?! I know its sleeve length is a 32 but I am having trouble with determining the neck. If anyone could help that would be great.

CP

18. grendel

grendel Senior member

What size are the HT's?

19. TheNeedMachine

Only the 3rd one will be available (5th and 6th photos); it feels like a 38L or 40R but I haven't measured it yet (untagged) and I have about 200 items ahead of it to throw on eBay...me being mostly a flipper I have to let a lot of things go that route.

20. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.